Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking Augments / Set bonus?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Tanking Augments / Set bonus?

Hockaday
10.18.2012 , 12:22 AM | #1
I'm wondering what other MT Assassin's are using for augments. I currently have (roughly, this is from memory) 38% Damage reduction, 27% Defense Chance, 56% Shield Chance w/ buff, and 50.5% Shield absorption. Should I try to increase Damage Chance? If I put all my augments to the purple damage reduction augs, it would only get to, at most, 35%. And I'm not sure how much the points into it diminish atm, so that could be even lower.

I am currently working on BH and Campaign gear.

My second question involves set bonuses, the 2% damage reduction seems pretty useless, that would only save me 400 damage on a hit of 20k. I was considering going with the Force Mystic's bonus, that would give me 150fp, but I'm thinking that the 5% shield chance is worth more than that, opinions?

Thanks.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
Nerf Hungering! It's too OP.=Bartle Test Results:= CE VIP
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

SamuelAU
10.18.2012 , 12:37 AM | #2
You can't go past the tanking set bonuses. Having an extra 5% shield chance during Dark Ward as well as 2% flat damage reduction are some awesome bonuses to have a help a lot.

Also, I believe that damage reduction is linked to your armor, so you can't change that dramatically without upgrading to higher level armoring.

Hockaday
10.18.2012 , 12:40 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelAU View Post
You can't go past the tanking set bonuses. Having an extra 5% shield chance during Dark Ward as well as 2% flat damage reduction are some awesome bonuses to have a help a lot.

Also, I believe that damage reduction is linked to your armor, so you can't change that dramatically without upgrading to higher level armoring.
Well, like I said 2% is very, very low. To save 400 damage I'd have to be hit with a 20k strike. Also, I corrected the OP post just now haha, I meant defense chance. The ability to avoid / absorb a hit.
The Empire is not evil, and the Republic is not good...it is all a matter of opinion.
{Reward-Driven 85%} {Exploratory -60%} {Physical 32%} {Thoughtful -26%} {Social -60%} {Competitive 100%}

enoax
10.18.2012 , 12:51 AM | #4
2% isn't much but it adds up especially since sins have the lowest armor rating. 4 peice bonus is essential. I'd go with endurance augments... There is no DR on endurance and will help your self healing a little. With those numbers you are into Diminishing returns for the stats.
enoa - sage - harbringer
chauser - gunslinger
crryra - assassin

Hockaday
10.18.2012 , 12:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by enoax View Post
2% isn't much but it adds up especially since sins have the lowest armor rating. 4 peice bonus is essential. I'd go with endurance augments... There is no DR on endurance and will help your self healing a little. With those numbers you are into Diminishing returns for the stats.
That is what I was thinking as well, maybe I will go back to the set, if only it wasn't so ugly =(

SamuelAU
10.18.2012 , 12:52 AM | #6
2% is very low, you're right. The thing is, for tanking you need the 2-set bonus which increases your shield chance by an extra 5% while Dark Ward is up. This leaves you with only being able to have the 2-set bonus from the Force-Master, Force-Mystic or Stalker gear which are useless for tanking. You may as well have the 2% DR as well.

I think your defense chance is fine as it is though, and from what I've heard you don't want to go above 30%. On my Shadow I have 25% defense chance, 62% shield chance (with kinetic/dark ward) and 54% shield absorption, which jumps up to 66% when my campaign relic procs.
Quote:
I was considering going with the Force Mystic's bonus, that would give me 150fp, but I'm thinking that the 5% shield chance is worth more than that, opinions?
Don't. 5% is a lot.

Hockaday
10.18.2012 , 12:55 AM | #7
Yeah, I think you guys are right. I can't find any Assassins to chat with on my server lol.

Do you guys use the "use" relics? I hate having one more thing to use, and prefer the proc relics. But maybe another CD wouldn't be bad to have.

SamuelAU
10.18.2012 , 01:06 AM | #8
At the moment I only have the Battlemaster Shield Relic but I'm thinking of adding a click relic. They're good for tanking bosses who have higher damage periods or when you're tank switching because you can get a huge jump in defense or shield and absorb when it's needed.

The only issue with dropping my Battlemaster relic is losing 4% shield absorption but I should get that back with Campaign gear.

There are a few schools of thought in regards to click relics and I'm having the same problem as you :P

Hockaday
10.18.2012 , 01:08 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SamuelAU View Post
At the moment I only have the Battlemaster Shield Relic but I'm thinking of adding a click relic. They're good for tanking bosses who have higher damage periods or when you're tank switching because you can get a huge jump in defense or shield and absorb when it's needed.

The only issue with dropping my Battlemaster relic is losing 4% shield absorption but I should get that back with Campaign gear.

There are a few schools of thought in regards to click relics and I'm having the same problem as you :P
lol, I'm in the same boat, I'm using a BM relic and a proc shield relic, which I will upgrade to campaign soon enough. I'm still using the BM shield too...it's the only good shield we get until campaign. If I switch from my BM relic, I'll loose 97 defense, unless I use another defense relic.

enoax
10.18.2012 , 02:12 AM | #10
New relics are coming with 1.5. Same procs/ clickee's as always but better stats. So I'd save your daily coms for that. I'll probably alternate between a warhero defense, click defense and proc shield depending on the fight.
enoa - sage - harbringer
chauser - gunslinger
crryra - assassin