Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Missing Element in PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Missing Element in PVP

SlimsPicken
10.17.2012 , 10:58 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by netskink View Post
The missing element in pvp is fun.
I came in to post this.

Where is the disconnect between game development and fun?

Gear grinds and walls do not encourage fun, but every MMO seems to have the notion to put more of this **** in.

Competition and parity is fun. player skill vs player skill is fun.

Having to grind out losses upon losses in bad gear and not being on par competitively is not fun, and I have a secret to tell you all- its not fun once you get all the gear and are stomping the players you used to be either.

competition is fun. lets have that.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Soljin
10.17.2012 , 11:05 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SlimsPicken View Post
I came in to post this.

Where is the disconnect between game development and fun?

Gear grinds and walls do not encourage fun, but every MMO seems to have the notion to put more of this **** in.

Competition and parity is fun. player skill vs player skill is fun.

Having to grind out losses upon losses in bad gear and not being on par competitively is not fun, and I have a secret to tell you all- its not fun once you get all the gear and are stomping the players you used to be either.

competition is fun. lets have that.
I agree with your sentiment...But lets keep this positive. This op's thread started a wicked cool idea and I would rather not see it degrade into a gear gap/Bad design discussiion. Please, and thanks.
Born on Bria.
Clone Zerging Since 2003!

SlimsPicken
10.17.2012 , 11:18 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
I agree with your sentiment...But lets keep this positive. This op's thread started a wicked cool idea and I would rather not see it degrade into a gear gap/Bad design discussiion. Please, and thanks.
Fun is the bottom line.

make it fun and all the complaints about why its not fun go away.

The things people complain about are the reason its not fun, so that is the true discussion point.
For every man there is a sentence, a string of words, which has the power to destroy him.

Monterone
10.17.2012 , 11:21 AM | #14
Really good idea OP, and I fully agree. The only thing that comes to my mind as to why this would be an issue is the game engine -- it's simply not robust enough to support that many players in the same zone at once.

But then again, I want to have fun so bad I really wouldn't even mind having old Ilum back, even at 10fps.

Heck, pushing pubs into their base, then climbing on top of their base to nuke them from above is just fun. Pick off a bunch of people before they figure out where all the death fields and force storms are coming from.
Sominette . Saminette
Pot5 > Harbinger

Thexremstar
10.17.2012 , 02:20 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
Sure makes sense. Several posts leading from each capital city to A mid point in the planet where the large weekly objective is located. You capture each small point starting from your city working out to the Large objective...you have to capture one before you can go to the next and the reverse for the oppssing faction...Basically If they want to set you back they have to keep working their way deeper into your territory all the way to near your Capital city.

At this point you have to recapture all your Outpost/Speeder points to even have the Large weekly attackable when the time comes....If you want to slow your enimies progress for the event you start working your way into their territory on that planet and capturing their points so they must retake them to activate the weekly event.....Have each Planet activate on a different day....Man this would be awesome all heck would be breaking loose on whichever planet is close to its Weekly event....But no one planet would constantly have Level 50's running around interupting people trying to level.....This would bring life back into the Planets that are currently abandoned...would also get people off Fleet...and It would make it feel Like your actually in the Middle of a War breaking out instead of just Knowing its supposedly happening....
yes I like the sound of this weekend war :P with many objectives to control an area with speeder points at respawn controled areas to get back to the front line Ilum Had a similar concept. My idea is 10+ turrets/bunkers(bunker could be a communications line or speeder link ups with middle battle field which need defending for respsawn troop movements loseing a bunker in the line would slow down movements) surrounding a central Bunker Ion Cannon that shoots down the enemy Invasion Fleet after a set time with control of a minimum 50% of the turrets/bunkers plus the Ion Cannon for the win(Ion cannon cap should be a long cap). Respawn at the edge of the map closest to your teams turret that you control to be able to use the speeder, which means controling turrets close to the edge of map will be crucial for fast movement to the front line, not every bunker needs to be a speeder post but you need to control a line link to the Ion cannon. The turrets/bunkers should be a good distance from each other like Novare Coast with capping maybe a bit further. Only a suggestion for a battle map but large scale objective control maps are the best makes people work together as a team and it involves PvP.

Devilk
10.17.2012 , 04:48 PM | #16
Given the complete failure that was Ilum, I doubt Bioware is capable of pulling this off. A good idea though.

Reva
10.17.2012 , 04:56 PM | #17
Class balance.
DeSun

- They see me rollin'

FallenGuardians
10.17.2012 , 08:25 PM | #18
Yeah, i wish something like this could be put into play i believe it would actually keep those playing interested and be a huge factor in pulling in new players!

Ssfbistimg
10.17.2012 , 08:41 PM | #19
Im sorry but I always have fun when playing PVP in this game. Except when my team is filled with men wearing panties. I mean really score is 580 to 560 and you already are farming defensive medals.

FallenGuardians
10.18.2012 , 06:19 PM | #20
I just think the game needs a new aspect of PVP some kind of competition instead of just PVP grinding....