Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why do people hate the new trilogy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Why do people hate the new trilogy?

TalonVII
10.13.2012 , 04:25 PM | #11
My biggest issue was there was so much going on between the 3 movies that the 3 actual movies seemed rushed.

Also the time line, so much happens in the Clone wars but the wars themselves only last 2 years.

And if you read the books, not the cartoon but the books and actual timeline, it was about 2 1/2 hears from start to finish.

Again the whole thing felt too rushed. My biggest beef besides the horribad acting by Hayden. But if you ever watch the movie Takers, i think the guy took acting lessons. Where was that kind of acting when he was doing freakin 2 and 3?
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight, Inquisitor, Smuggler

MasterMe
10.13.2012 , 06:50 PM | #12
First off, I greatly enjoy watching ALL of the Star Wars movies. Here are my problems with the new trilogy:

TPM: Honestly, I loved this one. Not a lot wrong with it except I would have made Obi-wan a little more main (BTW his fight with Darth Maul was the best ever imo)

AOTC: I think this episode would have been the best except for to BIG problems.
1: Anakin is a big baby!
2: I love a good love story. The fact is, this movie's love story was pathetic. Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul......tormenting me." Seriously? She'd never fall for Anakin! Never! Nobody in their right mind would ever fall for that guy!

ROTS: This one was good because of its epicness. But it had one big problem.
1: Ever notice how many different planets the main character usually visits? They go to a lot of various/cool places. For the most of this movie the main character (being Anakin) just sits at Coruscant and wines. Boring. *Yawn*

So there you have it. They're great movies, but they're not without their faults.

Pirana
10.14.2012 , 04:04 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
1: Anakin is a big baby!
2: I love a good love story. The fact is, this movie's love story was pathetic. Who would fall in love with a guy who says "You're in my very soul......tormenting me." Seriously? She'd never fall for Anakin! Never! Nobody in their right mind would ever fall for that guy!
This pretty much nails it for me. I to enjoy a good love story, and this was average at best. In addition, it appeared as if they used an entire can of hair spray on Hayden's mop.

I've seen Hayden in other movies, he's whiny in those as well. For me, he's just not a believable actor, but who am I to argue, I'm on here discussing it, he's had a decent career, and he's bagging Rachel, so he must be doing something right.

Could the trilogy have been done better? Sure. Overall, I enjoyed all three, and still watch them on Spike if I happen to be home nerding out to this game.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

Nydus
10.15.2012 , 10:12 AM | #14
I don't hate the prequels, but you might not like my reasoning.

I found that the original trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (worst sin for me in storytelling) and mediocre acting (with a few good performances). The reveal of an antagonist worst than Vader and his return to grace was decently executed.

I found that the prequel trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (we know who the bad guy is ****'s sakes) and poor acting (with a few good performances). I felt Anikan was written quite poorly, less of a tragic figure than he could have been, which dragged down the entire series. However, Ian McDermitt's return to form in the finale was extremely entertaining.

I enjoyed the above, but if you are capable of a dispassionate review of the movies their failings become apparent. Of course, most people can't dispassionately review the movies because they have that childhood *wow* moment when they first saw the Death Star explode and are completely able to whitewash all the negatives. I don't remember seeing the originals in theaters. I remember watching them on a degraded VHS as a teenager.

Star Wars to me has only really shined in the extended universe, in games like Jedi Knight, KotOR, and now TOR.

You might say I'm a bigger fan of this game than the original movies. That is entirely accurate actually.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

Rayla_Felana
10.15.2012 , 12:05 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Nydus View Post
I don't hate the prequels, but you might not like my reasoning.

I found that the original trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (worst sin for me in storytelling) and mediocre acting (with a few good performances). The reveal of an antagonist worst than Vader and his return to grace was decently executed.

I found that the prequel trilogy had brilliant special effects and great pacing, but was bogged down by a predictable story line (we know who the bad guy is ****'s sakes) and poor acting (with a few good performances). I felt Anikan was written quite poorly, less of a tragic figure than he could have been, which dragged down the entire series. However, Ian McDermitt's return to form in the finale was extremely entertaining.

I enjoyed the above, but if you are capable of a dispassionate review of the movies their failings become apparent. Of course, most people can't dispassionately review the movies because they have that childhood *wow* moment when they first saw the Death Star explode and are completely able to whitewash all the negatives. I don't remember seeing the originals in theaters. I remember watching them on a degraded VHS as a teenager.

Star Wars to me has only really shined in the extended universe, in games like Jedi Knight, KotOR, and now TOR.

You might say I'm a bigger fan of this game than the original movies. That is entirely accurate actually.

- Arcada
I share your thoughts.

Drudenfusz
10.15.2012 , 01:48 PM | #16
I prefer movies with an interesting story and great characters, the original trilogy had that much more than the prequels. Some scenes looked because of the special effects pretty awesome, but in the end it is somewhat shallow. It was like the characters are not really in the setting, with all the bluescreen shots. In the original trilogy the characters interacted with their surrounds almost all the time, it felt alive, in the prequels it feels so dead (SWTOR suffers from the same problem, mobs don't feel like they are actually living in the worlds).

I don't mind Jar Jar, I even like the Gungans as a spicies. I had no issues with the medi-chlorians, since it was always obvious for me that there is some physical connection to the force, so that only certain people can learn to use it. John Williams did a great soundtrack again. But altogether it still felt like it has not enough heart. Instead of the more psychological duels we had in the originals, we got just flashy fights. Vader worked great, even with his mask one could see his inner conflict in Return of the Jedi (I just don't get why Lucas had to ruin that scene by adding a dub there), but in prequels Anakin is mostly just boring and I can't nderstand them even with the option to read hin face.
My Old Republic Warring is Magic
Gwenya - The Drudenfusz Legacy, Jedi Shadow on Jar'Kai Sword
When you play the game of PvP, you win or you die.
English version <- SWTOR Wiki -> German version

TalonVII
10.15.2012 , 03:25 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
This pretty much nails it for me. I to enjoy a good love story, and this was average at best. In addition, it appeared as if they used an entire can of hair spray on Hayden's mop.

I've seen Hayden in other movies, he's whiny in those as well. For me, he's just not a believable actor, but who am I to argue, I'm on here discussing it, he's had a decent career, and he's bagging Rachel, so he must be doing something right.

Could the trilogy have been done better? Sure. Overall, I enjoyed all three, and still watch them on Spike if I happen to be home nerding out to this game.
Hayden's best performance is actually the Movie Takers. He isn't whiny, hell there is this one scene he's sitting playing the piano and he just nails it. Infact at the end of his performance i didn't say "Wow i think James Franco could of done better" Instead i was like "Wow, Hayden actually nailed this role."
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

billyboyjennings
10.15.2012 , 07:32 PM | #18
Mediocre acting. Bland characters. Massive overuse of CGI. Convoluted plot. That and just tons of little things. Crap like Padme's death. People like her do not just die instantly because of a "broken heart". Especially when they have access to highly advanced medical technology.

Anyways, the RedLetterMedia reviews pretty much nailed it.
"In the case of Boba Fett's death, had I known he was gonna turn into such a popular character, I probably would've made it a little bit more exciting." - George Lucas, RotJ DVD Commentary, 2004
DEAL WITH IT, FANBOYS

Pirana
10.15.2012 , 08:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
Hayden's best performance is actually the Movie Takers. He isn't whiny, hell there is this one scene he's sitting playing the piano and he just nails it. Infact at the end of his performance i didn't say "Wow i think James Franco could of done better" Instead i was like "Wow, Hayden actually nailed this role."
The few I've seen him in, he was either brooding or pouting, you name it. Unfortunately for that reason, I've stayed away from most of his movies.

I've followed most Star Wars actors over the years, going as far back as Corvette Summer with Hamil. I'll keep an eye out for the movie you've mentioned. Hayden must be doing something right, he's still getting gigs
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

TalonVII
10.15.2012 , 09:20 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Pirana View Post
The few I've seen him in, he was either brooding or pouting, you name it. Unfortunately for that reason, I've stayed away from most of his movies.

I've followed most Star Wars actors over the years, going as far back as Corvette Summer with Hamil. I'll keep an eye out for the movie you've mentioned. Hayden must be doing something right, he's still getting gigs
Actually it has a good cast. TI, Paul Walker, and a few others, but Hayden actually pulled his weight.

Again if you want to see some decent acting out of Hayden, look up "Takers" good solid movie overall.

Then you'll be asking yourself, "why couldn't of he brought that kind of level of acting to Anakin Skywalker?!"
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy