Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

lock box debate


Bloodstealer's Avatar


Bloodstealer
10.15.2012 , 02:42 AM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
This thread is operating on several assumptions because of the lack of info. I was posting based on those assumptions.

Of course i wouldnt have to buy the items. but If i want them and they are ONLY available in the cash shop through the gambling lockboxes thats not the slightest bit fair to me as a subscriber is it?!
Actually yes it is fair.. you dont have to buy them, just like you dont have to buy a lotterry ticket.. you have a choice to spend or not and being F2P or a subber makes no differnece when it comes to buying items from the cashshop.
Additionally if you are a subber you will be getting CC's to spend ... how you choose to use those coins is up to you.
Keys in GW2 are purchasable via the trading store, yes but you can trade in game currency to convert to the gems whoich are needed to buy the keys... that's nothing new in other MMO's that have F2P cashstores. But at the same time the game needs to turn a profit otherwise... THERE WONT BE ANY GAME!
The Chaotic Misfits Guild.
Death or Glory - It's all just a game to me!

Referral Link - http://www.swtor.com/r/Mf4BzX

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
10.15.2012 , 02:46 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by Liquidacid View Post
try every single collectible card game ever made... when you buy a pack of Magic, pokemon or whatever card games kids play now it's completely random what cards are in side and many of said cards are rare and and by virtue of that rarity can be sold for much much more than the others... it's flat out gambling... now I suppose you could argue it's different since the card's aren't given back to the producer for the cash and the customers set the value but in reality it is the same since the producers control the cards value by setting how many are produced... it's more involved than straight up gambling but the end results are exactly the same... I can walk into a gas station buy a lotto ticket. scratch it off and then either loose or win and give it to the lady behind the counter for cash... or I can walk into a comic shop buy a pack of collectible cards, open them and either get crap not worth anything or a rare which I can then sell to the guy behind the counter and walk out with cash

only difference with Lockboxes in an online game is technically you don't own anything in the game... your character and all the "loot" it has is owned by the company who runs the game and you are just paying rent to use it... that little fact right there could probably be used as a loophole to get around any gambling laws

The thing with trading card games is you are buying the cards, not the chance (of course the motivation is the chance, but motivation isn't easy to legislate for).

Lockboxes are a bit different, because you are buying the chance, NOT a phyisical product.

Which is why I'm amazed the EU hasn't come down like a ton of brick on as it is basially unlicenced gambling.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Foobert's Avatar


Foobert
10.15.2012 , 03:14 AM | #113
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
This thread is operating on several assumptions because of the lack of info. I was posting based on those assumptions.

Of course i wouldnt have to buy the items. but If i want them and they are ONLY available in the cash shop through the gambling lockboxes thats not the slightest bit fair to me as a subscriber is it?!
Why? Since you are getting an allowance it is still free-as-a-subscriber. That is the whole point of the getting the allowance in the first place. If the chance of getting the object is implemented over time as the same chance that you would get the similar item before f2p, then there is effectively zero change, but you want to complain because you are not getting the item for free. You would have had zero chance to get the time prior to f2p if you were not shelling out $15 a month for the privilege of being able to access that random drop in the first place.

Redat's Avatar


Redat
10.15.2012 , 04:21 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by kooffee View Post
the only answer people can give is by experience in other games and generally the answer is

The more lockboxes tht sell the more and more the game starts to be moulded around them. after the first few months lockboxes become the media of choice of releasing content.
QFT!! Just log onto STO and see whats happening over there, they have pillaged the playerbase to oblivion, withholding content to put it into these cash-grab boxes............Anyone defending such a blatant and almost criminal scam is a tool..........I swear some players just troll these boards because they are:
1) trolls with no life
2) The sort of player who has no skill, therefore NEEDS PTW.....

Seriously BW/EA and all the other fanbois, look before you leap, this game hangs on the edge and will go either way.....

LordExozone's Avatar


LordExozone
10.15.2012 , 04:26 AM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by Redat View Post
QFT!! Just log onto STO and see whats happening over there, they have pillaged the playerbase to oblivion, withholding content to put it into these cash-grab boxes............Anyone defending such a blatant and almost criminal scam is a tool..........I swear some players just troll these boards because they are:
1) trolls with no life
2) The sort of player who has no skill, therefore NEEDS PTW.....

Seriously BW/EA and all the other fanbois, look before you leap, this game hangs on the edge and will go either way.....
This.

If they want to make money from a cashshop by selling us unique and cool items we want, fine. Sell us those items. Don't sell us a lockbox (cartel pack) with a chance to contain said item.
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
10.15.2012 , 05:39 AM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Redat View Post
QFT!! Just log onto STO and see whats happening over there, they have pillaged the playerbase to oblivion, withholding content to put it into these cash-grab boxes............Anyone defending such a blatant and almost criminal scam is a tool..........I swear some players just troll these boards because they are:
1) trolls with no life
2) The sort of player who has no skill, therefore NEEDS PTW.....

Seriously BW/EA and all the other fanbois, look before you leap, this game hangs on the edge and will go either way.....

It they follow the STO model, then whilst they'll get a boost for maybe 6-12 months, this game active accounts will be lucky to be more than 100,000 by the Christmas after this one (14 months time).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

kooffee's Avatar


kooffee
10.15.2012 , 06:21 AM | #117
i'm happy to see this thread is still going on, and without much flaming either.

personally going by what's in game at the min, we already have loot boxes only difference is these are not locked at the moment.

So those who think lock boxes are a good idea, i have a question for you. how many useful items have you got out of the already in game drop boxes? personally i've had about 1 item in 10 that's been useful the rest i think of has just credits. (stats i want but armor class thats useless!)

now how would u feel it you was to be charged for the same loot boxes.

the other thing that makes me think, is maybe the whole time f2p was on the cards, after all like i said loot boxes are allrdy in game and will be giving them some good stats to base lock boxes on.

utio's Avatar


utio
10.15.2012 , 06:43 AM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Redat View Post
QFT!! Just log onto STO and see whats happening over there, they have pillaged the playerbase to oblivion, withholding content to put it into these cash-grab boxes............Anyone defending such a blatant and almost criminal scam is a tool..........I swear some players just troll these boards because they are:
1) trolls with no life
2) The sort of player who has no skill, therefore NEEDS PTW.....

Seriously BW/EA and all the other fanbois, look before you leap, this game hangs on the edge and will go either way.....
So anyone disagreeing with you is a tool? Or a troll? Or can't play the game? Even if you don't agree, there's no need to be insulting. I disagree with you, but I respect your opinion.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE

bravotwentysev's Avatar


bravotwentysev
10.15.2012 , 08:37 AM | #119
DCUonline does this. They have a random box that drops and its locked. Sub players get to open these boxes for free. They drop low end to somewhat high end and rare appearance items that only come in these boxes. F2P players have to buy key rings that have 5 keys on it. You are limited how many boxes you get in 30 days (sub and f2p player).

If SWTOR brought this in I would be happy. It be a nice perk to keep us paying cutomers an advantage perk for paying.

If people want to moan and gripe about it than start paying than sub up and play.

Plenty of player grip over in DC that they have all these boxes and dont want to play to unlock them. To bad not sad we tell them as it a perk for us and its shared to them for a price.

Only thing is make the boxes bind on pick up so they cant be sold or traded.

utio's Avatar


utio
10.15.2012 , 09:12 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by bravotwentysev View Post
DCUonline does this. They have a random box that drops and its locked. Sub players get to open these boxes for free. They drop low end to somewhat high end and rare appearance items that only come in these boxes. F2P players have to buy key rings that have 5 keys on it. You are limited how many boxes you get in 30 days (sub and f2p player).

If SWTOR brought this in I would be happy. It be a nice perk to keep us paying cutomers an advantage perk for paying.

If people want to moan and gripe about it than start paying than sub up and play.

Plenty of player grip over in DC that they have all these boxes and dont want to play to unlock them. To bad not sad we tell them as it a perk for us and its shared to them for a price.

Only thing is make the boxes bind on pick up so they cant be sold or traded.
I do think there needs to be something for the players who sub, like a chance to loot a key from npc's, whereas FTP players would have to buy the keys.
PROPER SPACE COMBAT PLEASE