Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Projectiles and flamethrowers vs Jedi

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Projectiles and flamethrowers vs Jedi

Girnobi
10.13.2012 , 11:20 PM | #1
Lore wise Jedi, Sith, and other force users or, more specifically, lightsaber wielders' ability to survive against opponents with ranged weaponry comes from their ability to deflect blaster bolts.

Why don't people interested in killing Jedi rely on old fashioned projectile weapons and flamethrowers? Sure, pre-cognitive reflexes will let you block a blaster, but if you try to block a regular lead bullet you'd only have a super-heated lead bullet slamming into you after it passes through the restrained plasma blade of the lightsaber. Same goes with flamethrowers. Can't exactly block a 25ft jet of burning prometheum.

Jedi and Sith are a big enough threat to both the empire and the republic that it seems like both would invest in equipping units with AK-47s instead of Blastech D-25s if they knew they were going to be facing Jedi.

RendValor
10.13.2012 , 11:33 PM | #2
Flamethrowers are one of the Bounty Hunter's main weapon, and Imperial Agents like to use gas grenades and poison blades
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Akanov
10.13.2012 , 11:48 PM | #3
I believe he's referring to the universe in general. I've heard that weapons that fire lead were called 'kinetic weapons' and that they are considered primitive. I don't know why, but that's what I've heard. Not sure why they use that instead of blasters. Something about personal shield generators or scarce resources I don't know.

RendValor
10.14.2012 , 01:08 AM | #4
Neither Jedi nor Sith are very widespread on the Star Wars Universe. The percentage of targets that the Imperial Army fights who are actually Jedi is probably somewhere around 1%

Only trained elite warriors are deployed to hunt Jedi, and those are usually equipped with flamethrowers, rocket launchers, gas grenades, etc

FearlessXIII
10.14.2012 , 01:38 AM | #5
In the early days, shortly after the lightsabre was invented, Jedi and Sith set aside their differences for an unprecedented and never repeated act of cooperation. Using their combined political and military strength, they lobbied, bullied, coerced and bribed the politicians in the galaxy to put a special law into place.
This law forever banned all small arms and direct fire infantry support weapons with a muzzle velocity of over 100m/s and a technical rate of fire of more than 180rpm.
With this astonnishing success the forceusers ensured, that no weapon they would face would be to fast to deflect with their lightsabres, thus cementing their superiority on the field of battle for all times, regardless of technical advances.
Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

HellbirdIV
10.14.2012 , 06:33 AM | #6
Basically, the reason slugthrowers, gas weapons, flamethrowers etc aren't used against Force users is... They do not work.

A Force-user - a trained Force user like a Jedi especially - will still f*cking kill you, presumably after pulling the antiquated collector's item straight out of your hands just by looking at you funny.

And remember, the only reason Jedi and Sith use lightsabers and not blasters? Because if they used blasters instead, everyone else would be even more screwed (see the original Tales of the Jedi comics).

RendValor
10.14.2012 , 09:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by FearlessXIII View Post
This law forever banned all small arms and direct fire infantry support weapons with a muzzle velocity of over 100m/s and a technical rate of fire of more than 180rpm.
And that totally makes sense because, as we all know, bounty hunters, pirates, smugglers and imperials are such law abiding citizens and would never dare to break such a law

FearlessXIII
10.14.2012 , 09:56 AM | #8
That post was a joke.
But you got to wonder why all comonly used weapons in the SW universe are so slow.
Of course, it's because of the movie special effects, but lore-wise it doesn't make much sense.
Understanding the scope of the problem is the first step on the path to true panic.

- Florance Ambrose

Eightus
10.14.2012 , 10:07 AM | #9
I think you all seem to forget that the lightsaber is not the only weapon a Sith or a Jedi posses. A powerful Force user can easily shield himself/herself by simply using the force, blocking any incoming missiles. And that is just one of the many ways a Force user can deal with projectiles and flamethrowers. Moreover flamethrowers and grenades are indeed used(as someone already mentioned) by Bounty Hunters and Imperial agents.

As for why not equip units with AK-47s, I think the answer to that is quite obvious really. If a lightsaber can slash through metal droids as easily as a hot knife cuts through butter, what makes you think a lead bullet will be able to simply "pass" through it. And anyway the whole concept of seeing Republic troopers armed with AK-47s is just ridiculous, I mean come on this is Star Wars we are talking about.

Lastly, its not as simple as "this weapon beats that weapon". Its all about the individual behind the weapon, Bounty Hunters are known to be able to take down Jedi using their flamethrowers and Jedi are known to cut Bounty hunters to pieces using their lightsabers.

In all seriousness if it was up to me such stupid threads should not even be allowed to be created in the first place.

FearlessXIII
10.14.2012 , 10:20 AM | #10
Acutaly, using contemporary firearms could work.

1. A solid projectile can't be deflected back at you with a lightsabre. It will only be desintegrated.

2. Modern aussault rifles habe far higher muzzle velocity and rate of fire than SW blaster rifles were ever shown to have in any work.

We all know, Jedi and Sith are not invincible. Fire enogh blaster bolts at them, and their defence will be overwhelmed. With a modern assault rifle blasting projectiles with a velocity of 900m/s at 900rpm, I seriously doubt any Jedi or Sith will be able to mount an effective defence.
Fire from more than one point at once and even Luke Skywalker will be finished.

- Florance Ambrose