Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Crashed to desktop since 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Crashed to desktop since 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kateplay
10.13.2012 , 04:05 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
Ok here's my suggestions for running an MMO, they will PO some folks..sorry in advance, but from frequenting the CS boards in a number of games from opening day thru several months here's my suggestions:

Well for most MMO's and thus SWTOR these days...

You need 3.0+ gig on your cores, not 8 cores 2.2, or 6 at 2.6, or 4 at 2.8, you need a base of 3gig on 2 at least.

You need a separate graphic card, no on-board graphics.. 260GTX+ of nvidia products(ATI/AMD does not play well with SWTOR for some reason on a significant number of computers, yell at BW not me AMD users).

And the vast majority of laptops/all-in-ones will not play the game well.

SLI and Cross-fire don't play well for some(pull the second card, turning it off seems not to work for some).

WIN7 64 is the way to run, 32 will not cut it for a significant number of peeps, the primary reason being need for over 4GBs of ram(8GBs seems to be sweet spot).

The above is relevant to a significant percent of the players.. not all but a significant percent.

Again there are some guys with "golden" rigs that violate the above... but again for a significant number, if you follow the above golden rules, you will be as golden as I can help you with.
we all have that are problem is the memory leak that 1.4 seems to have caused that crashes are game aftera few hours
Xbox live ID Anastasia Hawke ■ PSN Romanus1 ■ Raptr ID Katep

Kateplay
10.13.2012 , 04:06 PM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by ryancrutchfi View Post
Game booster on...check.
Anti-virus set to silent gaming mode....check.
Firewall set to allow...check
Drink ready to go...check.
Pizza ordered and on the way..check.
Rear-end puckered and teeth clenched in anticipation of first crash of the day...unfortunately check
Stress relief ball getting label worn off due to over usage after second crash .....check...again.
Logging back on after third crash to a dead character and finding new words in the thesaurus as cuss word abbreviations ...check
Hearing the worlds smallest violin play as the fourth crash happens... just plain annoying.

I am not asking for much but can you please fix the connections issues. As much as I like spending money, I really hate wasting it.
any idea how to avg internet security 2012 into gaming mode as that is the only thing I will not let gamebooster go near on my system
Xbox live ID Anastasia Hawke ■ PSN Romanus1 ■ Raptr ID Katep

ryancrutchfi
10.13.2012 , 04:11 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Kateplay View Post
any idea how to avg internet security 2012 into gaming mode as that is the only thing I will not let gamebooster go near on my system

I could not tell you myself...running avast here. Still from what I'm reading everywhere until the memory leak or problem is fixed due to the patch no amount of boosting is going to help. I have a 7 month old custom built pc and even I am having problems with dc's

Talrol
10.13.2012 , 04:21 PM | #84
So, my guess here is that since all of these things have already been tried by multiple people (myself included) and it still does not fix the issue, and since Bioware is saying that since it's not effecting everyone that it's not their problem, that we just have to deal with it?

Frankly as a paying customer I should not have to deal with a poorly executed update. I understand that bugs happen, I understand that sometimes bugs take a while to get resolved. For Bioware to blatantly state that their sorry but because it's only effecting a smaller portion of the population that we're just out of luck is completely unacceptable. What we as customers need from you the provider is some assurance that you are indeed looking into the issue rather than telling us that our computers broke update 1.4, I'm sure that a simple statement acknowledging that this is an issue with the game would go a long way in restoring some faith to those of us who have been having this issue.

Neoforcer
10.13.2012 , 04:25 PM | #85
The golden rule wont help in this case although it is appreciated advice. The reason is we all were running golden from pre launch with no issues other then a few quest bugs that were fixed by the devs. A memory leak will not be fixed by following you set rule of hardware. As it is a software bug, Can it be related to more advanced hardware very possible. We the consumer should not have to dumb down a pc to run a new game.

Roalmo
10.13.2012 , 04:31 PM | #86
Quote: Originally Posted by Neoforcer View Post
.... We the consumer should not have to dumb down a pc to run a new game.
Totally agree, BUT(you knews that wasa commin') if dumbing it down helps... who knows...

KidPunkStar
10.13.2012 , 04:42 PM | #87
I quit this game because of the original CTD issue. I came back hoping it had been fixed... It's worse than it ever has been... I run W7-32, my fiance runs W7-64, we BOTH have the same issues!

ALL of my drivers are up to date, NO background programs running, not even chrome, because of HOW EXTENSIVE the memory use is from TOR... Yes, I can't even surf a webpage without it crashing... I've done EVERYTHING, upgraded from XP to W7, all new drivers, upgraded my memory, have a descent graphics card, GeForce GTS 250, a 1Tb drive and a 500gig secondary drive, 4gigs of ram *because it's 32bit*, an AMD Athlon II x4 640, which is a quad-core, ... My machine NEVER has been the problem... It wasn't the problem when the game came out, it's STILL not the problem, I've done EVERY SINGLE work around posted on the forums, even had my fiance, a tech guy, look at it, NOTHING wrong with it... It performs BEAUTIFULLY with EVERY SINGLE other game, even newer ones!! It's ONLY that the coding in TOR is SO HORRID and SO MASSIVELY dependent on the machine, that it doesn't matter HOW GOOD your pc is... their coding is to blame... FIX IT ALREADY, IT'S BEEN 10 FREAKING MONTHS !!!!!!!

As far as the memory leak, IT HAS TO BE TRUE!! IT IS A MEMORY LEAK !!

I use a program called System Mechanic Professional... It allows me to defrag my ram, at any time... I can do a light version of it, takes about 5 seconds, or a deep defrag that takes from 10s-1min to complete, knocking anywhere from 1-2gigs free from my memory... THIS should help IF it were a PC or RAM problem... which it is not, IT'S THEIR CRAPPY CODING !!!

ryancrutchfi
10.13.2012 , 04:46 PM | #88
Quote: Originally Posted by Talrol View Post
What we as customers need from you the provider is some assurance that you are indeed looking into the issue rather than telling us that our computers broke update 1.4, I'm sure that a simple statement acknowledging that this is an issue with the game would go a long way in restoring some faith to those of us who have been having this issue.

Too true , when i had my pc built it was literally to be able to play this game as my old pc would not have. Up until the summer when I stopped playing to go on vacation and spend time with family it worked beautifully. No bugs, no lag , no random massive spiking. Then got back on the first of this month and everything is leaving me confused as to what happened that i can no longer play this game. Would love to see them say " We see your problem and we got your back. The problem is ( ) and we are fixing it as we speak." So far I just hear a voice like Han telling me " Hang on kid this is going to be a bumpy ride."

Gondien
10.13.2012 , 09:20 PM | #89
Odd, this thread sounds like players figured out the problem and Bioware is still guessing.

Virons
10.13.2012 , 10:27 PM | #90
Me too. No problems before 1.4. Running win7 32 bit.
If I restart the game after each 2 hour of play, I get no CTD