Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lag unbearable even though superior computer?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Lag unbearable even though superior computer?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 04:00 PM | #21
alright i'm turnin' the PC off now and going to check on those things.

lucasomega
10.13.2012 , 04:11 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Broosh View Post
other games such as BF3, D3, CS:GO, etc. work completely fine.
Everyone must have missed that quote. I have the same issues with SWTOR, and SWTOR alone. This game ran perfect for me pre-server merge and now it runs like garbage. I'm currently playing Guild Wars 2 and having zero issues fps/lag wise. This game has just gone to crap and it's too bad. I enjoyed the story and wanted to finish out each arc, but it's just not enjoyable to run around in chopville.

Some Core Specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Video Dual 1 GB AMD Radeon HD 6770s
Boot Drive 60GB SSHD Vertex 3
Other Drives 1TB HD, 500GB HD
I shot first.

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 04:15 PM | #23
I shut the computer down and checked everything out. Everything seems to look fine. However, I switched the RAM sticks around just to give it a go.

I booted up with the side panel still off, temperature is about 55* celcius on average. i'm about to put the side panel back on and see what it raises too.

and yeah, like the other person said, D3, BF3 (which is more intense than SWTOR), etc. all work completely fine. NO lag at all.

EDIT: temp boosts to 70-ish while playing SWTOR with the side panel off

Roalmo
10.13.2012 , 04:16 PM | #24
I would suggest, until you are running at least at medium:

1. pull one of your graphics cards out of your machine(here's a tissue).

2. make sure you are running 4 or 8 gigs of ram in matched pairs at least.

3. Do not overclock anything.

4. Make sure you've got a good CPU fan, and ensure your fan/cooler is properly attached to your CPU with enuf, but not too much thermal paste(on clean installs I use about 1 small pea size drop of paste(arctic silver)). If you ladle the paste on with a butter knife, you're asking for trouble. For further help on this see maximumpc.com for rig builds and how to's.

5. I use MSI Afterburner to see my graphics card temps, mid 60s are great, mid 70s are ok, over 80 is "where the hel* is the smoke coming from?" time(even tho Nvidia suggest this is ok.. beware.. there be dragons).

GL and hope to see you having fun in the game.

Metalmac
10.13.2012 , 04:18 PM | #25
I paid Comcast to come to my house and check my network
Results are that my computer and everything works great except for SWTOR.
I can run almost max settings on CoD, Battlefield, Diablo 3, Crysis 2, WoW, and others.

Yet this game stutters and has lower FPS than all the others games I play.
I have done all the recommended things except RAMDISK or radical fixes.
(Including reinstall of Windows 7 and SWTOR several times and checking drivers everyday)

I canceled my sub of SWTOR for this reason.

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 04:24 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Roalmo View Post
I would suggest, until you are running at least at medium:

1. pull one of your graphics cards out of your machine(here's a tissue).

2. make sure you are running 4 or 8 gigs of ram in matched pairs at least.

3. Do not overclock anything.

4. Make sure you've got a good CPU fan, and ensure your fan/cooler is properly attached to your CPU with enuf, but not too much thermal paste(on clean installs I use about 1 small pea size drop of paste(arctic silver)). If you ladle the paste on with a butter knife, you're asking for trouble. For further help on this see maximumpc.com for rig builds and how to's.

5. I use MSI Afterburner to see my graphics card temps, mid 60s are great, mid 70s are ok, over 80 is "where the hel* is the smoke coming from?" time(even tho Nvidia suggest this is ok.. beware.. there be dragons).

GL and hope to see you having fun in the game.
for the RAM, they're matched pairs. and i also don't overclock anything. i'll probably end up taking a card out because i'm sure SWTOR doesn't need dual to run. as far as the fans, they're all working properly. all cleaned of dust/etc., and the thermal paste amount is fine (as far as my knowledge states, but i certailny don't "ladle it with a butter knife" :P and i've never had an issue with it before)

EDIT: with side panel on, temp goes to mid to late 70's (when i'm in game, regularly it is mid 50's)

SeiferMaster
10.13.2012 , 04:33 PM | #27
Mid 50's is pretty high on idle, definitely something wrong with your CPU

Roalmo
10.13.2012 , 04:36 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SeiferMaster View Post
I don't know what he is measuring.. ambient temps?(seems unlikely).... but no idea what prog he is using.

Broosh
10.13.2012 , 04:37 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SeiferMaster View Post
i wouldn't say it's idle, just not in game. still doing a lot of things lol

mdawson
10.13.2012 , 08:06 PM | #30
I too have a superior machine, and I too am experiencing much lag, particularly on Taris. The thing is for me, that I can move about my ship just fine, the minute I go onto a planet, massive slowdown. I don't kn ow how to measure FPS, but it gets really slow on certain planets. Most likely the problem is NOT on your end. I built a whole new machine to play the game and even bought a 20mb d/l rate from my ISP, and that still hasn't helped. I've traced the problem to SWTOR's ISP, but they refuse to believe that they have a problem. Even their ISP says that evertthing is working fine. I don't know how they manage to keep their jobs. Just doing a tracert indicates a delay in the hundreds of milliseconds on one particular router, but apparently my numbers don't mean anything to anybody.

There are things you can do to your machine to help.
1. make sure cpu affinity has a cpu for swtor all by itself, or atleast one with very little other activity on it. I put mine on core 0, Windows itself uses core 5 on my machine, and the other 6 are dedicated to BOINC. I do shut off BOINC processing on the gpu when I'm in game.
2. make sure your gpu and cpu are running cool. I get in the 50's C for the cpu cores, and in the high 60's C for the gpu under nearly full load.
3. move any background tasks to another cpu core
4. turn off any security you might have installed just as a test to see if it is that which is sucking up cpu cycles.
5. run tracert to see if there is a serious delay somewhere in the data path. I'm sure you'll get the same numbers I do.
6. upgrade your data connection to your ISP if financially feasible

Hopefully some or all of this will result in better play for you. For me, I'm getting real pissed off because I have been dealing with lag since March, and since March swtor and their ISP have denied that it is their problem. The arrogance of those people just astounds me!

Good luck, and may the force truly be with you,

mdawson

Quote: Originally Posted by Broosh View Post
I unsubscribed about 6 months ago to focus on Diablo III. Now I'm done with D3 and I decided to give SW:TOR another shot. Unfortunately, that's made impossible because I can't do ANYTHING without unbearable lag. I can't even run around in my ship without lag.

The biggest problem is that my computers specs FAR OUT EXCEL the minimum requirements needed to play this game. I've even tried putting it on "Very Low" settings and it's still the exact same. I open up task manager to end any processes that have a lot of memory usage, and it still does it.

I also have the most up-to-date drivers (as far as I'm aware) that my hardware needs

I'm running:

I7 930 2.8 ghz
ASUS p6t Deluxe V2
3x2GB DDR3 RAM (6GB altogether)
Dual Radeon HD 6870's (with Crossfire enabled)

and my internet is completely stable. other games such as BF3, D3, CS:GO, etc. work completely fine.