Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Consular needs a better looking wardrobe!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Consular needs a better looking wardrobe!

Chucko
10.12.2012 , 11:41 AM | #21
Here is another one agrees. I like the simple robe and hood--trousers would be nice as well. Though, I wouldn't mind the occasional flashy outfit. When on with my sage I sometimes take a look at what there is to where down the road--and I don't tend to be too excited about it. Perhaps we should post some pics of what we would like to see. Unfortunately, I have limited artist skills and would only be able to resort to stealing pictures off a search engine picture-search. Anyone?

theborch
10.12.2012 , 12:57 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Ryvirath View Post
Thank you sandraider blood guard chest piece.
Dang, this is what I use on my consular. I use the full set though. I like watching a sandraider with a lightsaber heal people.
The Bastion - The BaconStrips Legacy
DukeOfCypress LVL 52 Rage Jugg * WhiskeyLube LVL 50 Seer Sage * PantsHammer LVL 50 Sawbones Scoundrel

Khevar
10.12.2012 , 01:56 PM | #23
I'm leveling a new Consular toon, and this time I've been putting my entire crew in the blue Social I formal wear from the Coruscant vendor.

When Qyzen and I were running around Taris we looked like a couple of Star Fleet officers

Rabenschwinge
10.13.2012 , 05:00 AM | #24
I never liked it too much when a game ties game stats to their appearance. Sure back in the ninties that was a great thing "wow, if you equip that item it actually changes the way you character looks". That was because hardly anything did back then and characters were a very limited cloud of pixels.

The problem with that is not primarily that it limits the freedom of choice but the way it makes designers try to make them ever more fancy and forget about anything they now about style. The characters should feel larger than life, so let's just build towers of useless style elements, that completely distort their look and makes them appear like nothing but a bunch freaks with an ego problem and no taste at all.

The only game with stats tied to apparel where I characters could look fine I can think of is Lord of the Rings Online, where apparel is tied to the item progression as well. Since they introduced appearance tabs there I could actually make my elven huntress look as I pictured, they had very well made elven armor sets. With fine details, a clear line and yet still appearing artful. (My criticism does not include games in which stats are not usually tied to apparel In games like EVE Online, Champions Online, The Secret World, it's no problem giving your character a decent look in accordance with the style those respective games have and never has been)

I wear a Muse/Traditional Demicot outfit (looks identical, yet the one is crafted whereas the other is bought from commendations or looted). Looks a bit like a mokking of a military uniform and bright white, something that a despot in a banana republic would wear. But it's acceptable.

But since the day I first saw what the Tionese/Columi/Rakata gear for consulars look like I have kind of given up hope. Of course you don't have to look like that anymore if you don't want to anymore - but the mere fact that the designers kind of believed that this is what a high level consular should like proves that they are beyond betterment. The game won't ever change in a way we can have our Star Wars characters look what we like them to. There won't ever be simple Jedi Garments of the kind that Obi-Wan wears in the movies. The designers are simply not capable of that.

There is just no way of making them understand that when it comes to looks more layers, more props, more attachments and fancier and bigger meaningless details doesn't necessarily make it better. There is beauty in simplicity, but that though eludes them entirely.

Chroniclewulf
10.13.2012 , 05:32 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
I never liked it too much when a game ties game stats to their appearance. Sure back in the ninties that was a great thing "wow, if you equip that item it actually changes the way you character looks". That was because hardly anything did back then and characters were a very limited cloud of pixels.

The problem with that is not primarily that it limits the freedom of choice but the way it makes designers try to make them ever more fancy and forget about anything they now about style. The characters should feel larger than life, so let's just build towers of useless style elements, that completely distort their look and makes them appear like nothing but a bunch freaks with an ego problem and no taste at all.

The only game with stats tied to apparel where I characters could look fine I can think of is Lord of the Rings Online, where apparel is tied to the item progression as well. Since they introduced appearance tabs there I could actually make my elven huntress look as I pictured, they had very well made elven armor sets. With fine details, a clear line and yet still appearing artful. (My criticism does not include games in which stats are not usually tied to apparel In games like EVE Online, Champions Online, The Secret World, it's no problem giving your character a decent look in accordance with the style those respective games have and never has been)

I wear a Muse/Traditional Demicot outfit (looks identical, yet the one is crafted whereas the other is bought from commendations or looted). Looks a bit like a mokking of a military uniform and bright white, something that a despot in a banana republic would wear. But it's acceptable.

But since the day I first saw what the Tionese/Columi/Rakata gear for consulars look like I have kind of given up hope. Of course you don't have to look like that anymore if you don't want to anymore - but the mere fact that the designers kind of believed that this is what a high level consular should like proves that they are beyond betterment. The game won't ever change in a way we can have our Star Wars characters look what we like them to. There won't ever be simple Jedi Garments of the kind that Obi-Wan wears in the movies. The designers are simply not capable of that.

There is just no way of making them understand that when it comes to looks more layers, more props, more attachments and fancier and bigger meaningless details doesn't necessarily make it better. There is beauty in simplicity, but that though eludes them entirely.
I get your point, but Consulars look like idiots because they have to stick to basic items, compared to the OTT designs of the other classes, Compare The Jedi to the Sith counteprarts, and you will find the Sith looking already much better at levle 10 than a Consular at lvl 50, we should have our own freedom on choosing whether to be an armored ****** or a skillful monk

Rabenschwinge
10.13.2012 , 05:45 AM | #26
Well, in that case I suppose you and I have a greatly differing taste for looks.

There are some appearances of other classes I'd llike for my consular, most noteable the Imperial look of Inspiration Outfit (medium armor) when I want to show some skin. Of the knight robes... few. The problem with consular gear is of course that the vast majority of them are dresses instead of an open robe over pants.