Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

lock box debate


kooffee's Avatar


kooffee
10.12.2012 , 12:22 PM | #1
so it is true swtor is joining sto in the lockbox debate? some investigation's have already started regarding the issue of this grey area of gambling. wouldn't swtor be shooting itself in the foot?
the amount of bad press and general nasty taste of sto should of been enough to put them off surely?

going f2p so soon from going retail is already a sign of a major flop, but going down the lockbox road is surely just to take advantage of short term playability with a mindset of "rob them quick before they leave"

what happened to the mindset of "give them content and they won't want to leave" ?

Foobert's Avatar


Foobert
10.12.2012 , 12:40 PM | #2
everything you have heard has been total speculation so far. Since no developer has actually said exactly what would cost cartel coins to purchase (for either subscribers or f2p players)

Ooloi's Avatar


Ooloi
10.12.2012 , 01:04 PM | #3
i'll be walking out the door the day gambling boxes come in, permanently.

Kaisernick's Avatar


Kaisernick
10.12.2012 , 01:06 PM | #4
what exactly are you refering to?

is it that u will be able to buy armor in the CS?

Greyshadow's Avatar


Greyshadow
10.12.2012 , 01:11 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaisernick View Post
what exactly are you refering to?

is it that u will be able to buy armor in the CS?
Lock Boxes, are loot drops with random chance items inside that could either be that top level purple piece you are looking for, or something like say, a common medpac.

THe box drops off of any mobs, doesn't even have to be elite or anything, HOWEVER you must buy the key to the box off the real money store.

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
10.12.2012 , 01:15 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by kooffee View Post

going f2p so soon from going retail is already a sign of a major flop, but going down the lockbox road is surely just to take advantage of short term playability with a mindset of "rob them quick before they leave"
From going retail? You still have to buy the game. And you can still pay a subscription and have very little change. the f2p is honestly a lot more like an extended trial.... And the lockbox thing is still speculation. They have been making it clear that you can't get anything end-game competitive with Cartel Coins. It will all be cosmetic or leveling stuff. But If you could buy boxes that have random things in them, so what? Don't buy them.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

kooffee's Avatar


kooffee
10.12.2012 , 01:25 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
But If you could buy boxes that have random things in them, so what? Don't buy them.
u can buy boxes with random things in them for real money, most gambling websites do that type of game. however they are controlled by law game odd's and age limits, and so far this game doesn't require age verification and it even saves card information, ideal for your child to run up a bill? ideal to expose them to the thrill of gambling? if like others say and nothing been decided, then now is the time to debate it.

if lock boxes do come, the general trend if random fluff + super rare items, people are going to gamble money in a chance for that super rare item, regardless what random fluff is added. i've never understood that side of the argument, a fruit machine may give a prize of 0.20 but its still the 15.00 you aim for and play for.

Blackavaar's Avatar


Blackavaar
10.12.2012 , 01:33 PM | #8
As long as they don't put anything in the boxes that cannot be gotten any other way it should be fine. If they follow STO's example and have items that can only ever be found in Lock Boxes it will be bad.

I for one have never been lucky. That's why I play games that require more skill and persistence than luck. If they put things in the game that only reward the lucky, I am outta here.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Goretzu's Avatar


Goretzu
10.12.2012 , 01:35 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by kooffee View Post
so it is true swtor is joining sto in the lockbox debate? some investigation's have already started regarding the issue of this grey area of gambling. wouldn't swtor be shooting itself in the foot?
the amount of bad press and general nasty taste of sto should of been enough to put them off surely?

going f2p so soon from going retail is already a sign of a major flop, but going down the lockbox road is surely just to take advantage of short term playability with a mindset of "rob them quick before they leave"

what happened to the mindset of "give them content and they won't want to leave" ?

I'm pretty sure they should be against EU gambling law (without the game being licenced as such).
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
10.12.2012 , 01:40 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by kooffee View Post
u can buy boxes with random things in them for real money, most gambling websites do that type of game. however they are controlled by law game odd's and age limits, and so far this game doesn't require age verification and it even saves card information, ideal for your child to run up a bill? ideal to expose them to the thrill of gambling? if like others say and nothing been decided, then now is the time to debate it.
I know a lot of parents dealing with this kind of thing in other games, even if it's not a "gambling" situation, you have to monitor your kids when it comes to micro transactions. That's being a parent and teaching your kids to be responsible. Again, since this is all speculation, it's hard to debate it. Maybe there will be an age verification/parental controls when this system gets put in place. There are things similar to this in GW2 also, but I've felt no motivation to pursue them. The boxes just sit in my bank.

This also reminds me of those machines where you pick up stuffed animals with a claw. Those machines are programmed to miss for so many times. So those machines are kind of gambling in a sense. Yet they are legal. :/
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant