Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking question 5 boss Terror Hm

_gideon
10.10.2012 , 04:18 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragonbgone View Post
I'm almost certain it's 1 for 1 on the heals. It's split evenly between all targets though, which makes it much easier to not pick up threat on multi-boss fights.
Healing aggro is split evenly between all mobs in combat. It's also 50% as much threat per point as threat from damage.

I can't find the post which specified that it was 50% but here's a dev saying that it is definitely less:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-20th-2012

Dragonbgone
10.10.2012 , 04:52 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by _gideon View Post
Healing aggro is split evenly between all mobs in combat. It's also 50% as much threat per point as threat from damage.

I can't find the post which specified that it was 50% but here's a dev saying that it is definitely less:
http://www.swtor.com/blog/community-qa-april-20th-2012
Ah! Thank you for fixing my mistake :P
. : Messores Republicae : .
Reapers of the Republic

sankalp
10.10.2012 , 06:08 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBuckets View Post
Since the boss has a buff that makes him take 75% less damage, that's 75% less threat that you do, so threat is really dicey. Healing threat is unavoidable. DPS need to not attack the boss until a ways into the phase (potentially after the first tentacle is down).

I've picked him up going into Phase 2 on my PT tank in 16man HM and we definitely had some threat issues to work on when we were first learning the transition.

Proximity matters a lot going into that phase. Make sure DPS wait at the entrance until the first tank is in position and don't DPS the boss. The tank should be the first out the gate to establish initial aggro, with necessary healers behind.

We swap Guard to healers while we're getting sucked into the portal to curb their threat a bit in the phase.

Once the transition starts, I usually hit him with 2 globals of ranged abilities as I'm transitioning to the platform upon which I tank, blow my AOE taunt, and then keep attacking until the 6seconds of taunt is up. Then I use my single target taunt. When you taunt, it forces the boss to attack you for 6sec and gives you 130% of the highest threat target (even if it's already attacking you). I work my taunts into my regular rotation on that fight (keeping one up only for Scream transitions).

Once you're all settled on a platform and have a good thread lead, DPS can attack (but they should be busy with Anomalies and tentacles).
Some issues.

use single target taunt first. its basic as you want your taung off CD quicker and as Single taunt has low cd, it should be used first.

Dont make it a 1 tank fight, Swap taunts with the other tank. I would think you single taunting, then other aoe taunting, then you aoe taunting should keep the boss on you till scream, at which point other tank has his single taunt ready and from then on it should be sweet.

also as someone said, use force pull from first platform. high threat 0 damage.

Siorac
10.11.2012 , 04:14 AM | #14
This seems as good a thread as any to ask this.

Doing Terror from Beyond story mode last night, we twice wiped due to the same thing: the boss started channeling Scream at the other tank, I taunted during the channel, the boss ignored me and killed the other tank when he finished the channel.

My taunt did go off, definitely, it just ignored it. Bug or is there something we're not aware of? As far as I know and as all guides say, I have to taunt during Scream and when the boss finishes Scream, he'll turn to me so I receive his next attack, not the debuffed tank. Is that correct?

EDIT: our other tank also swears he did not re-taunt the boss.

vlikk
10.11.2012 , 08:53 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
This seems as good a thread as any to ask this.

Doing Terror from Beyond story mode last night, we twice wiped due to the same thing: the boss started channeling Scream at the other tank, I taunted during the channel, the boss ignored me and killed the other tank when he finished the channel.

My taunt did go off, definitely, it just ignored it. Bug or is there something we're not aware of? As far as I know and as all guides say, I have to taunt during Scream and when the boss finishes Scream, he'll turn to me so I receive his next attack, not the debuffed tank. Is that correct?

EDIT: our other tank also swears he did not re-taunt the boss.
Did the first tank immediately die after scream finished casting?

If so, this is probably due to the damage scream does when it lands on the tank. If the tank getting screamed is not topped off, he could still die from this, which may seem like your taunt didn't work.

So to be clear, when scream is finished casting, it will land a big chunk of damage on the first tank. It then switches to the second tank that taunted and continue regular attacks. Healers should be prepared for this.

On HM, this scream usually does close to half my tanks HP in damage (aprox 11-13k). It's probably weaker in story, so your healers got to step it up. Or maybe your tank isn't moving out of the spit and taking unnecessary damage.

Siorac
10.11.2012 , 09:39 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by vlikk View Post
Did the first tank immediately die after scream finished casting?

If so, this is probably due to the damage scream does when it lands on the tank. If the tank getting screamed is not topped off, he could still die from this, which may seem like your taunt didn't work.

So to be clear, when scream is finished casting, it will land a big chunk of damage on the first tank. It then switches to the second tank that taunted and continue regular attacks. Healers should be prepared for this.

On HM, this scream usually does close to half my tanks HP in damage (aprox 11-13k). It's probably weaker in story, so your healers got to step it up. Or maybe your tank isn't moving out of the spit and taking unnecessary damage.
Hmm, thanks. I must admit I did not watch the other tank's HP at this case as there's no "emergency taunting"; I must taunt during Scream, irrelevant of how much HP he has. So it's a possible explanation, yes, as he did die immediately.

Pete_Kofod
10.11.2012 , 03:55 PM | #17
Guarding the healers fixed it so we downed him tonight. Thx for the help!