Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

MorgonKara
10.08.2012 , 03:27 PM | #91
They just don't have as many escape utilities as the other stationary ranged classes (& a lot of inductions). Supposedly the defensive cooldowns and heavy armor make up for it, but in practice Mercs are squishy because PVP is so burst-damage-heavy in this game. Like others have said, if you are being ignored you can dish it out, but as soon as you get targeted by a decent opponent you're basically useless with only like 3 decent instant attacks.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

heechJunzi
10.08.2012 , 03:31 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
Go try pyro on a powertech and mercenary both, then tell me how you feel about that being the mercs best PVP option.

I'm dead serious because I agree that Pyro is probably the better tree for merc on PvP DPS. If you try it on both ACs, you will see the problem pretty easily. Whether you make it work just fine as merc or not.
Don't agree after 1.4. Powertech range nerf is a serious disadvantage.

I constantly monitor range, and I try to stay as close to 30m from everyone as possible. Even versus powertechs, I can now more than hold my own by maintaining range above 10m.
Junzi - EWH Sentinel Buxi - EWH Commando Jünzi - EWH Operative
----------- The Harbinger -----------

NoTomorrow
10.08.2012 , 03:32 PM | #93
I dont think dps mercs can defeat snipers in a direct fight. If they have some LoS with pyro skill tree while sniper is MM and sitting like an idiot then maybe yes. Generally i treat commando dps as free kills.
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

yoomazir
10.08.2012 , 03:48 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by NoTomorrow View Post
Generally i treat commando dps as free kills.
Because that's what we are. Oh yes, we do our best to stay alive but, hey, can't fight against bad class design.

heechJunzi
10.08.2012 , 03:51 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Great. Now imagine if you were using one of the top tier dps classes? you'd be doing about twice as much dps if not more AND also providing utility to your team.
Im repeating myself. Again, I have a sentinel in aug'ed warhero, and I'm at least in the top 10% of sentinels on my server. I do well, but no better than my commando.

Oh, and I have no problems with gunslingers at all in a 1v1 fight. They really are turrets, and as an assault commando I'm not. Sticky, assault, light on fire, HIB. If I see those targets start to close in on me, I duck LOS.... Maybe even self-heal and then re-engage. On most maps my commando can beat a gunslinger 1v1 9 times out of 10.

Volxen
10.08.2012 , 03:57 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
Im repeating myself. Again, I have a sentinel in aug'ed warhero, and I'm at least in the top 10% of sentinels on my server. I do well, but no better than my commando.
Assuming you are playing both classes to their full potential, I find that very, very hard to believe.

Or you are fighting far inferior players on your Merc.

tehrealdealz
10.08.2012 , 03:57 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by heechJunzi View Post
Then I hate to say this but you must be EXTREMELY bad at your sentinel that or you are going against garbage teams on your commando. The reason why I say this is because my guild does a premade everyday for the pvp dailies and the sentinel I run with is always doing anywhere between 400-800k damage a WZ.
Typical reaction to end game content from fresh level 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRx49-leiRE
Quote of the Month: "A wise man once said don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history sort it out." -- Random swtor pugger still wearing greens at 50.

MorgonKara
10.08.2012 , 04:08 PM | #98
Does anybody do Merc heals spec for PvP? I might try it just for a laugh.
Armormech-Armstech-Chemist-Mor-gon-M'orgon-Maxxi
Armormech-Armstech-Biochem-Artifice-Synthweaving-Cybertech
The Craft Legacy ~The Ebon Hawk

heechJunzi
10.08.2012 , 04:14 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Then I hate to say this but you must be EXTREMELY bad at your sentinel that or you are going against garbage teams on your commando. The reason why I say this is because my guild does a premade everyday for the pvp dailies and the sentinel I run with is always doing anywhere between 400-800k damage a WZ.
You roll premades in a regular wz? :eyeroll:

Shrug, I think I'm very good on my sentinel. I do 300-500k regularly as a solo pug. Very, very rarely do I see another sentinel out damaging or killing me. I often get 20+ killing blows as my sentinel. Record was 35 killing blows, I think.

I consistently do MORE damage on my commando. I never sneak attack a distant node as a commando, but in 4v4 fights I'm a big difference maker.

I do pretty well as my op healer too, even tho I just dinged 50 3-4 days ago. Usually heal 300-400k a game, with a high of 550k. Again, speaking as someone who PvPs quite a bit in top-level gear on other classes and therefore have a direct frame of reference... I STILL like my assault commando.

Kalifus
10.08.2012 , 04:21 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by DkSharktooth View Post
If you notice this BH is such a noob...all he does is backpeddle and use rapid shots. He needs to be kiting and running a pyro spec.