Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does this ever happen to tanks?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Does this ever happen to tanks?

Darth_Bond
10.06.2012 , 01:09 PM | #1
So i was levelling my jugg tank up...my guild needs tanks for new groups

i was doing mando raiders...and i queued as tank, this other powertech dps was there...i found it strange that i kept losing aggro to him...later on i caught the little you know what taunting off me... i told him not to continue but he kept taunting off me every chance i got...ofcourse he would only tank random/silver mobs off me, but never a champion mob, probably because he'd get killed...iv met these kind before, they like to taunt off the tank intentionally or blow all their cds at once as dps and try to get the aggro off the tank, almost in a declaration manner "AHA! IM SO GOOD I GOT AGGRO OFF TANK!" He queued as dps....

How should i deal with these idiots?

infuriates me to no end
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

Oggthebase
10.06.2012 , 01:43 PM | #2
well I do lose aggro from time to time as a tank, if the dps go all out at the beginning of a fight. Are you sure that other PT is taunting the mob off you? There is a debuff icon on the mob when it's taunted. Did you put your guard on him in order to reduce his aggro?

If the dps taunts on purpose I let him deal with the mob.
If the dps grabbed aggro just because he's dps'ing like crazy, I usually taunt back once or twice before giving up.

Darth_Bond
10.06.2012 , 02:15 PM | #3
yep, on several occasions i saw the debuff, he was DEFINITELY taunting off me
Story is so important i sold starwars to disney and asked jj abrams to direct the new star wars film....and that is why we cant have faction change!

rob_y
10.06.2012 , 03:06 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Bond View Post
yep, on several occasions i saw the debuff, he was DEFINITELY taunting off me
If he was only taunting one silver at a time off of you, maybe he was just trying to lessen the load on you? Were you tanking a bunch of enemies at once?
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

MishraArtificer
10.06.2012 , 10:39 PM | #5
...ofcourse he would only tank random/silver mobs off me, but never a champion mob, probably because he'd get killed...
If they do it well, this is the kind of DPS* I'd love to THANK at the end of the run.

That said, I'd bet a dollar that they're actually Powertech Tanks who queued up as tanks AND DPS in order to get into a party as soon as possible.
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.
Behold...my referral link!

Darth_Bond
10.07.2012 , 10:50 AM | #6
it still annoys me...

Kitru
10.07.2012 , 11:07 AM | #7
it still annoys me...
I've met the kind. Be thankful it was pre-50, where idiots aren't going to end up killing you and wiping the group.

The problem could have been any one of a number of things. If he wasn't responding, he might not have been reading chat and simply continued on thinking he was doing what he was supposed to (I've met some people new to MMOs that think they're supposed to use their taunts even as DPS because they think it allows them to deal more damage or something). He could have simply been an idiot that believed that he could be both tank and DPS at the same time in the same spec (because some people don't realize that being able to queue for multiple roles does not mean that you can actually perform both roles simultaneously). He could, just as easily, have been a ******* DPS trying to piss you off for whatever reason or an amazingly competent DPS just trying to ease the load on you.

The important thing to consider is whether or not he responded back to you in chat (or whisper). Generally, if I complain at someone or ask about their spec/abilities they're using (like why an Infiltration Shadow is using Mind Crush or a VG tank is using Full Auto) and they don't respond, I take it as a bad sign. If their behavior is especially annoying/egregious and they refuse to defend themselves, I generally kick them or quit the group. DPS is easy enough to replace and, as a tank, I can find a group again quickly enough. If the guy is being a hardcore baddy and doesn't even have the decency to respond to party chat, I'm not gonna bother continuing a run with him.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

haliy
10.08.2012 , 06:10 AM | #8
I have seen and had this happen to be before. At times when i know they are doing the taunting, I will let them taunt and tank them. Depending on how much they are doing, I will send a tell to the healer and other dps that i will be dumping aggro off on the person taunting off of me so dont heal or dps to start off with so they can take all the mobs.

Once they start to complain because i didn't take the aggro back and let them die, I would just say "Well, i thought you wanted to tank since you were taunting off me so I let you. Let me know if you want to continue to tank for me. I will gladly switch to dpsing"
MOSAIC - JEDI COVENANT
Guild Website
Haliy - 55 Sentinel ~ Windigo - 55 Shadow ~ Kája - 55 Sage
Vindeta - 55 Commando ~ Snapshote - 55 Operative

theblaznee
10.08.2012 , 06:18 AM | #9
When I tank I provide a service to the other 3 guys.. If they choose to not accept the service, it's not my fault.. I save my taunts for when the healer is in trouble, not for when a dps decides he wants to tank a mob himself..

Also, single silver mobs and below I don't care about tanking at all
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

LarryRow
10.08.2012 , 08:55 AM | #10
Well, how did your run go? Kill all the bosses ok? Did the guy execute mechanics, kill order, etc.?

If he was taunting one silver at a time and burning it down, I think he was probably just messing around and having fun because he is comfortable with the content.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.