Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Call for Developer Explanation on Class Balance

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Call for Developer Explanation on Class Balance

MatticusFinch's Avatar


MatticusFinch
10.07.2012 , 07:36 PM | #1
I am calling for an explanation from the developers who handle class balance to discuss why there was a buff to Focus/Rage trees in the recent patch as well as explaining why the damage from Force Sweep/Smash applies before the animation even begins now rather than after the animation occurs like it did pre-1.4.

My concern is that there cannot be any preparation against a move like that with it's current timing mechanism as opposed to the past when there was time to activate available defensive cooldowns like Force Shroud/Resilience or Force Camouflage to counter it. However now, these moves that can potentially do 7000 damage to multiple targets, cost no resource, and be activated more frequently than an already low 15s cooldown used to restrict cannot be prepared for except by guessing when the players will use them. The closest analog to this damage timing mechanism is Death Field/Force in Balance which can only hit 3 targets instead of 5 and does not have a damage ceiling near that of Smash/Force Sweep.

I want an explanation of what the developers were thinking because there is no clearly justifiable reason for these changes. Thank you.
Prophecy of the Five - RIVAL - The McAwesome Legacy
Billiejean | Guy | Freakygirl | Yojimba
Maul-wannabe | Vader-wannabe | Jane'bond | Zombor

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
10.07.2012 , 07:55 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MatticusFinch View Post
I am calling for an explanation from the developers who handle class balance to discuss why there was a buff to Focus/Rage trees in the recent patch as well as explaining why the damage from Force Sweep/Smash applies before the animation even begins now rather than after the animation occurs like it did pre-1.4.

My concern is that there cannot be any preparation against a move like that with it's current timing mechanism as opposed to the past when there was time to activate available defensive cooldowns like Force Shroud/Resilience or Force Camouflage to counter it. However now, these moves that can potentially do 7000 damage to multiple targets, cost no resource, and be activated more frequently than an already low 15s cooldown used to restrict cannot be prepared for except by guessing when the players will use them. The closest analog to this damage timing mechanism is Death Field/Force in Balance which can only hit 3 targets instead of 5 and does not have a damage ceiling near that of Smash/Force Sweep.

I want an explanation of what the developers were thinking because there is no clearly justifiable reason for these changes. Thank you.
News flash, you aren't entitled to an explanation about anything. Have some personal responsibility and learn to adapt or play something else.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

vimm's Avatar


vimm
10.07.2012 , 08:07 PM | #3
Smash thread #771 established.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

Jherad's Avatar


Jherad
10.07.2012 , 08:10 PM | #4
I have a theory.

It goes along the lines of some dev asking his 12 year old son what needed to be changed.

That or some kind of game of chance, possibly involving alcohol.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zachar´ah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

vimm's Avatar


vimm
10.07.2012 , 08:14 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
I have a theory.

It goes along the lines of some dev asking his 12 year old son what needed to be changed.

That or some kind of game of chance, possibly involving alcohol.
And a dart board.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

Anishor's Avatar


Anishor
10.07.2012 , 08:20 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
Smash thread #771 established.
Shall I start #772?
Penumbral, Jung Ma server
Sranishor ( Vengeance *main* ) Sran'ishor ( Marauder *alt* )
PVP Officer
"My passion and the force shows me more than your eyes ever could."

Slurmez's Avatar


Slurmez
10.07.2012 , 08:39 PM | #7
Smash/sweep wasnt performing as good as vengeance/vigilance in PvE. Solution? Break PvP.

ArchangelLBC's Avatar


ArchangelLBC
10.07.2012 , 08:58 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by MatticusFinch View Post
I am calling for an explanation from the developers who handle class balance to discuss why there was a buff to Focus/Rage trees in the recent patch as well as explaining why the damage from Force Sweep/Smash applies before the animation even begins now rather than after the animation occurs like it did pre-1.4.

My concern is that there cannot be any preparation against a move like that with it's current timing mechanism as opposed to the past when there was time to activate available defensive cooldowns like Force Shroud/Resilience or Force Camouflage to counter it. However now, these moves that can potentially do 7000 damage to multiple targets, cost no resource, and be activated more frequently than an already low 15s cooldown used to restrict cannot be prepared for except by guessing when the players will use them. The closest analog to this damage timing mechanism is Death Field/Force in Balance which can only hit 3 targets instead of 5 and does not have a damage ceiling near that of Smash/Force Sweep.

I want an explanation of what the developers were thinking because there is no clearly justifiable reason for these changes. Thank you.
I understand your frustration but you'd have just as much luck calling for the devs to be paying US for the high privilege of having such fine examples of humanity as we are playing their game. I honestly don't think that's less likely at this point.
Quote: Originally Posted by biowareftw View Post
The next EA/Bioware employee that ever thinks adding more CC to this game is a good idea? Fire them. Don't give them 2 weeks notice. Have security escort them to the door. Thank you in advance.

MatticusFinch's Avatar


MatticusFinch
10.07.2012 , 09:06 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I understand your frustration but you'd have just as much luck calling for the devs to be paying US for the high privilege of having such fine examples of humanity as we are playing their game. I honestly don't think that's less likely at this point.
I really hope you're wrong, but it's true that most of their changes have been made with reasons stowed inside a black box. However, in a 1.4 preview they at least took the time/energy/effort to explained about their upcoming changes to Sages/Sorcs and resolve. It seems logical that they finish explaining what they started and touch on this issue as well.
Prophecy of the Five - RIVAL - The McAwesome Legacy
Billiejean | Guy | Freakygirl | Yojimba
Maul-wannabe | Vader-wannabe | Jane'bond | Zombor

TheronFett's Avatar


TheronFett
10.08.2012 , 02:31 AM | #10
The goal with 1.4 was to see if they could reach the same unsubscribe numbers as 1.2.