Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Is this games reputation of having terrible PvP going to keep F2P'ers from joining?

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
10.07.2012 , 01:22 PM | #1
At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?

iasion's Avatar


iasion
10.07.2012 , 02:37 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by NathanielStarr View Post
At the end game there are really only 2 things to do. Do the operations/flashpoints over and over or PvP. OK if they like the PvE gear grind and are willing to pay real money for that then I guess maybe they'll join and stick around. But what about this games reputation of being a terrible unbalanced PvP mess? The word on the net is that this game is certainly not good in the PvP arena, so do you think it being free is enough to get people to put up with it? I don't think it is. I think F2P is a band-aid on a severed limb. What do you think?
If BW can pull out a system for matching WZs and make that work i think the reputation will swing and the game will get more players. If not, then the few PvP F2P'ers that will join will probably check up what fraction is dominating each servers PvP and just join that side. Hopefully that will even out the situation with more newbies on the dominating fraction and letting the other side catch up.

The hard part for the new guys will be to find out what fraction is dominating the lvl50 bracket since BW is deleting quite alot of threads containing information about fractions that PUGstomping each server.

Eggsalicious's Avatar


Eggsalicious
10.07.2012 , 02:40 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by iasion View Post
what fraction is dominating
12/17ths is easily in first place, but my friend John says 5/6ths is close.

CpnWiggler's Avatar


CpnWiggler
10.07.2012 , 02:50 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Eggsalicious View Post
12/17ths is easily in first place, but my friend John says 5/6ths is close.
Pff, 5/6ths has maybe 1/2 the chance of 1/3rd.

Omble's Avatar


Omble
10.07.2012 , 02:58 PM | #5
I don't see how people hate the pvp in this so much. I've played WoW and SW is much better pvp wise.

ShawnFish's Avatar


ShawnFish
10.07.2012 , 03:07 PM | #6
Honestly I don't really care about this so-called "reputation" of terrible PvP. I'm having fun doing it, and when the day comes that I'm not having fun anymore, I'll leave the game.

Is it going to stop Free to Play people from joining?? Hell no, free is free, and people love free stuff. I'm sure that a potential F2P'er is NOT going to be sitting at their house contemplating signing up for a FREE account when suddenly they have this epiphany: "Oh NOOOO, I heard that SWTOR has this terrible reputation for PvP. I've changed my mind. I don't want to play this FREE game now because I'm SOOO influenced by some nameless entity or article on the web. I better go out and PURCHASE a game now."

So to sum up the answer . . . . . . . No, not at all.
Alkalinex - - 50 Powertech
Rehab'Romance - - 50 Sorc
Rehab-Romance - - 27 Gunslinger
S'olstice - - 28 Operative

tehrealdealz's Avatar


tehrealdealz
10.07.2012 , 03:45 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by CpnWiggler View Post
Pff, 5/6ths has maybe 1/2 the chance of 1/3rd.

All I can is this. **** fractions. ty.
Typical reaction to end game content from fresh level 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRx49-leiRE
Quote of the Month: "A wise man once said don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history sort it out." -- Random swtor pugger still wearing greens at 50.

darthnish's Avatar


darthnish
10.07.2012 , 04:02 PM | #8
doubt it since they;re restricting the number of wzs a f2p player can play a day, they wont get overly frustrated with just doing 2 or 3 wzs a day.

NathanielStarr's Avatar


NathanielStarr
10.07.2012 , 04:08 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by ShawnFish View Post
Honestly I don't really care about this so-called "reputation" of terrible PvP. I'm having fun doing it, and when the day comes that I'm not having fun anymore, I'll leave the game.

Is it going to stop Free to Play people from joining?? Hell no, free is free, and people love free stuff. I'm sure that a potential F2P'er is NOT going to be sitting at their house contemplating signing up for a FREE account when suddenly they have this epiphany: "Oh NOOOO, I heard that SWTOR has this terrible reputation for PvP. I've changed my mind. I don't want to play this FREE game now because I'm SOOO influenced by some nameless entity or article on the web. I better go out and PURCHASE a game now."

So to sum up the answer . . . . . . . No, not at all.
There are many f2p games with better reputations competing for peoples time.

Ryvirath's Avatar


Ryvirath
10.07.2012 , 04:09 PM | #10
Terrible pvp compared to what? It has better pvp then any other MMO I've played which most recently includes GW2, the savior of pvp. I'm not quite sure why it's so good and ultimately I'm pretty sure it's an accident of greatness, but the pvp potential in this game (as long as they don't make any more 1.4 resolve type changes) is huge and likely the primary reason why half the player base is hanging around.