Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc is TERRIBLE

Shredit
10.07.2012 , 12:07 AM | #1
Merc is TERRIBLE in PvP... In any 1v1 fight with anything other than a merc you will lose. Every single decent skill the merc uses has a cast time, and can also be interupted. On top of that, they decreased the range of our stun by 2/3rds? Now the Merc class is even more horrible. You give us an interupt but but nerf our stun? Ridiculous. IT'S A RANGED CLASS! Give us our stun back... If you guys don't find a way to make the merc more competitive in PvP I am going to uninstall because merc is my main. So lets recap. Stun is worthless now, the interupt has a low range and can only be used to interupt certain things, but everything on merc can be interupted... Without a heat signature damage is crap and in PvP there isn't enough time to always get a heat signature on people. I could go on and on, please fix this class....

Kilikaa
10.07.2012 , 12:13 AM | #2
It's not just Mercs. Pvp is terrible. It was a lot better right after 1.2. Since 1.3 it has started to suck major bantha nuts.

Nightkin
10.07.2012 , 01:06 AM | #3
Merc was fine before people learned how to pvp in this game, we all remember the guy who topped dmg done and had nothing but tracer missile bound to all hotkeys. That would never happen today, not even with the damage the way it was before, he would simply get demolished and end up last on all the scoreboards.

When i first started playing swtor i wanted to be what everyone would NOT be, a guy who couldnt use the force but managed to kill stuff anyway due to superiour tactical and technical solutions. That didnt pan out the way i had hoped.

I was considered to be one of the top mercs on my server but in the end, the top merc just isnt worth a spot in a ranked team since even a ábove average guy on another class simply outshines the merc on pretty much everything.

Mercs as they are work great for PvE but they are a hopeless deadweight in pvp. Great skill isnt even enough to make the merc ok. It simply lacks the skills necessary to complete the job.

I wont start suggesting what the class needs since there are countless threads with very good ideas.
The class feedback thread that we spent so much time on got hopelessly shat on, pardon my french.

I have since leveled assassin/sage/PT/jug to rank 50 and they all outshine the merc so very much that ive given up hope for my mandalorian. WIch is a damn shame since i utterly love the commando and mercs lore/storyline and looks. Shame im not into PvE or i might have stayed with my favourite character.

TL;DR version
: You are correct, mercs are poorly developed and i see no future for the class in pvp, at all.

DarthRaika
10.07.2012 , 01:44 AM | #4
I have all 8 classes and will tell you that same gear/skill any class should kill a merc without taking much dmg. However pvp isn't this way. In most matches it is possible (even when pugging) to make sure you aren't targeted. If you accomplish this you will rock ppl. Just try it out. It is how even as recruit I topped many charts.

Now having said this, you are right that in 1v1 if someone really hates you and goes after you then you should get *****. On all 7 of my other classes I will kill a "good" arsenal merc without taking more than 20% of my hp if I really want them dead. Merc needs a buff here as many horrible players "aragorn hehe" think they are good when they kill a merc one time (even though I rock him so hard most matches in bm only while he his fully optimized aug wh and he only wins in 1v1 and then brags). There are many baddies out there like aragorn and this is sad. btw I kill him 1v1 with even a full recruit sent (he is fully optimized aug wh jug lol).

warultima
10.07.2012 , 01:49 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightkin View Post
TL;DR version[/B] : You are correct, mercs are poorly developed and i see no future for the class in pvp, at all.
Yet it's more important for BW to "fix" a "broken AC" like Shadow/Sins to give them 3 fully viable tree like Marauder along with multiple fully rWZ capable hybrid spec (shadowsins were actually the best node defender in the entire game even before 1.4 hence they are wanted in rWZ).

As well making the warrior's shared tree super powerful and newbie baddie proof to play.

It's just BW's way of balancing. They want to buff the best classes 1st to "complete" it the underpowered / unwanted / extinct crappy AC/Spec just gotta have to wait. They are afraid they will piss off the fotm kids and lose more subs.
| Lv50 Madness Sorc | Lv50 Annihilation Marauder |
| Lv50 Pyrotech Power Tech | Lv50 Medicine Operative |
| Lv50 Sharpshooter Gunslinger | Lv 26 Darkness Assassin |

Switterz
10.07.2012 , 02:02 AM | #6
haha, you're trying to play arsenal in pvp. ROFL.

Switch to pyro if you're going to continue playing that toon. But you're still going to drag your team down, just not as much.

MagnitudeZero
10.07.2012 , 03:23 AM | #7
I go from playing an Enhancement Shaman in WoW to a Commando in tOR, I never learn. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Reducing the range on Cryo Grenade/Merc Equivalent was just a bizarre decision. I think a good buff for us would be allowing the use of Reactive Shield whilst stunned.

Nightkin
10.07.2012 , 03:31 AM | #8
Its fun and sad at the same time that pretty much the entire pvp community agrees that this AC is horrible for pvp no matter what spec and yet all we see in patch after patch is more semi clueless changes that makes little to no sense.
I just hope that the new rank 55 will bring mercs exactly what we have prayed for, a mobility buff/disengage rocketpack move and something that gives mercs the chance to fire on the move. These two suggestions is the ones i see over and over and Bioware would be wise to take these suggestions to heart.

mdtk
10.07.2012 , 03:38 AM | #9
I play a commando as do alot of other 50s on my server. We are some of the most wanted players. 1v1 I can almost kill anything that has the same or slightly better gear then me. You just need to learn how to play your class.
Gav Daragon-a server united
http://gav-daragon.enjin.com/
Mdt40k-proving a commando will make a difference:
http://www.youtube.com/user/mdt40k?feature=mhee

Nightkin
10.07.2012 , 03:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by mdtk View Post
I play a commando as do alot of other 50s on my server. We are some of the most wanted players. 1v1 I can almost kill anything that has the same or slightly better gear then me. You just need to learn how to play your class.
Useless bragging for e-peen is not needed in a community that already knows that this simply isnt true, unless you are just trolling in wich case im sorry for being so easily duped