Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Bioware can you explain to me why...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Bioware can you explain to me why...
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

PowerReaper
10.06.2012 , 05:29 PM | #11
I pew pew you QQ (I find it funny people thought this spec was a joke before 1.4).
Prophecy Of The Five
Warlord Èschaton - 55 Sith Juggernaut
Elite Warlord Christine - 55 Jedi Sentinel

LordExozone
10.06.2012 , 05:33 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by NamikazeNaruto View Post
It didn't always have the armor penetration, and it didn't used to be so easy to land. However, if you must know I've always had an issue with smash spec just for the sheer fact of having such a high damage ability be an AoE. However, before it could be evaded, not so much now. It is literally a low risk high reward spec. The top dps in a warzone now are always smash specced players, ALWAYS. It's not even close.
While I essentially agree with you, the problem is the entire rage tree revolves around smash. Significantly reducing the smash damage because it is AOE will make rage juggernauts and their republic counterparts terrible in one on one encounters which is still important even if the focus is team vs team.

What I personally think would be a good solution is change the AOE mechanic of smash so that the primary target is hit by the full amount, but the secondary targets that are within the AOE range take less damage. Or reduce the amount of damage to each target depending on the amount of players it hits. (say 1 player hit takes a potential 6000 crit, 2 players hit would take a potential 5000 crit each, 3 players or more hit would get a potential 4000 crit each.)
Kote! Kandosii sa kar'ta, Vode an.
Mandalore a'den mhi, Vode an. Bal kote, darasuum kote,
Jorso'ran kando a tome. Sa kyr'am nau tracyn kad, Vode an.

foxmob
10.06.2012 , 06:00 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by DarkSaberMaster View Post
It's so funny to see people cry about this when Rage/Focus has been able to do that damage since......ever.
that's what ppl say, and I suppose it's true. however, there are definitely more ppl smashing all over the place, because I'm taking significantly more dmg from juggs. in fact, 1v1, I can kite a jugg all day. and I'm decent but nothing special. thus, I think the issue is that more juggs/guards are focus spec'd, and they're catching ppl in close proximity.

I can say that probably the best dps in my guild was a focus guardian before he unsubbed. so...yeah. the spec has always been good, but for w/e reason, it's now the fotm and flooding wz's, wrecking melee who are unable to avoid thanks to being in stun 50% longer.

Quote: Originally Posted by NamikazeNaruto View Post
I The top dps in a warzone now are always smash specced players, ALWAYS. It's not even close.
patently not true. but I'm with you on the other stuff.

:2cents:
Kracks and other assorted stuff on Jedi Covanent
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

DefaultRobot
10.09.2012 , 06:38 AM | #14
Focus has always been good. The improvements along with every warrior/knight using this tree is out of control. I really don't want to have to play a spec/class with AoE damage reduction just because Bioware didn't think this change through, but I'm guessing it will take weeks/months for them to figure out rage/focus is over the top.

AllisonBerryman
10.18.2012 , 09:31 AM | #15 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I asked Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Rage and Focus builds and how they're fitting into PvP overall right now, and here was his comment:

Rage and Focus have always been high burst specs, but they haven't been very popular due to some usability and quality of life issues in the past. Our goal for Focus and Rage was to address those issues without significantly affecting their burst. In large part, I think we've done that, but the result is that many people are playing them now, which means there's a lot of AOE burst happening in warzones that wasn't happening before. We're willing to wait and see if their popularity is a result of being viewed as "flavor of the month" (i.e. Rage/Focus populations will naturally subside as people realize the spec doesn't suit their playstyle) or if they are truly too good and were just too unusable before. In short, we're going to keep a close eye on it.

JasonNH
10.18.2012 , 09:41 AM | #16
While I might dispute the existence of a usability issue prior to 1.4 (there should be one after all with such AOE bursts), it is nice to see a developer response to this, so thank you for the feedback.
Tashili, Medeira, Arreldon, Kaatta, Windemere
Raschtok, Chantea, Sterbefall, Toede

StDogbert
10.18.2012 , 09:42 AM | #17
it is more of a flavor of the month thing having been playing focus spec for a while now the spec isn't that much different in 1.4 then it was in 1.3. Never had resource management problems before 1.4 so the changes weren't that big of a deal. The biggest change that happened to focus was when they changed the stances so now that it gives a bonus to force damage.

danpen
10.18.2012 , 09:51 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I asked Austin Peckenpaugh (Senior Designer) about Rage and Focus builds and how they're fitting into PvP overall right now, and here was his comment:

Rage and Focus have always been high burst specs, but they haven't been very popular due to some usability and quality of life issues in the past. Our goal for Focus and Rage was to address those issues without significantly affecting their burst. In large part, I think we've done that, but the result is that many people are playing them now, which means there's a lot of AOE burst happening in warzones that wasn't happening before. We're willing to wait and see if their popularity is a result of being viewed as "flavor of the month" (i.e. Rage/Focus populations will naturally subside as people realize the spec doesn't suit their playstyle) or if they are truly too good and were just too unusable before. In short, we're going to keep a close eye on it.
So is this getting sorted out soon then? and when!!
I am looking for people who need more help in the forums and i will be there to help you make it better ok.

UGLYMRJ
10.18.2012 , 09:53 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by danpen View Post
So is this getting sorted out soon then? and when!!
Did you even read what she said?

Groncho
10.18.2012 , 09:55 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by UGLYMRJ View Post
Did you even read what she said?
no, he/she didn't
Chë
LATIN LOVER