Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Darth Malgus VS Darth Malak


OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
10.06.2012 , 05:46 AM | #21
I don't think Malak gets the respect he deserves because he was the Player Character's apprentice in the past.

But Malak isn't just a sidekick in Kotor, he was also Revan's primary antagonist. The fact that that he looses as the final boss sort of leaves the perception that he was always lesser than Revan but I don't think that's fair.

Both Malak and Revan grew stronger than they were during their initial fall. I'm inclined to think that Malak did surpass Revan when he overthrew him, only for Revan do the same to him in the end.

Regarding Revan vs The Exile. Well that's certainly a question sure to provoke a flamewar. Without having read the novel, I'm in the camp that believes that Revan is hugely overrated but I also don't think there is anything to say that Exile was the stronger of the two, both of them had different strengths and weaknesses and Revan was the Exile's leader during the Mandalorian Wars.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
10.06.2012 , 11:12 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Emperor_Kakashi View Post
That is true, but the novel happened nonetheless. The novel really downplayed Meetra's power, which was kinda annoying.
He didn't just downplay it, he spat out his dummy and made everything she did as insignificant as possible to make his own baby look better, clearly making him the sole inspiration for the Rule of Two wasn't enough.

But back on topic, Malgus wrecks Malak, regardless.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.06.2012 , 01:00 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
He didn't just downplay it, he spat out his dummy and made everything she did as insignificant as possible to make his own baby look better, clearly making him the sole inspiration for the Rule of Two wasn't enough.

But back on topic, Malgus wrecks Malak, regardless.
You've actually proved that he didn't take the time to do his research. Based on that alone, I'd declare the novel N-canon. You don't take a character that you didn't create and kill them off. It's not something you do as an author. Now if he was cleared to do so, then that might be different.

Anyway, I agree with you
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

BrandonSM's Avatar


BrandonSM
10.06.2012 , 01:12 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
You've actually proved that he didn't take the time to do his research. Based on that alone, I'd declare the novel N-canon. You don't take a character that you didn't create and kill them off. It's not something you do as an author. Now if he was cleared to do so, then that might be different.

Anyway, I agree with you
You can't declare that its N-Canon. Unfortunately, joking or not you people have to understand that the events in that novel are canon especially since events in this game follow that novel and include the novel also support that its canon.

And you can't just dismiss it because it degraded a character you like.


And any other has the right to kill another author's character. This is not the first time we've seen this.
Hapan: "This creature has information that could lead us to a woman who has been kidnapped. We will get that information."
Luke: "This woman is a citizen of the New Republic, and if you do not take your hands off her, I will take your hands off you."

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.06.2012 , 01:22 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
You can't declare that its N-Canon. Unfortunately, joking or not you people have to understand that the events in that novel are canon especially since events in this game follow that novel and include the novel also support that its canon.

And any other has the right to kill another author's character. This is not the first time we've seen this.
I know I can't declare it N-canon. I want to, but I can't. So I accept it as canon. I'll have to check, but I think the author would need the character's creators permission to kill them off. It doesn't matter I guess. I do accept the book as canon. We all have something that we don't like about Star Wars, but we have to accept. And that's what I've done with the Revan novel.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

Airmo's Avatar


Airmo
10.06.2012 , 02:04 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by BrandonSM View Post
You can't declare that its N-Canon. Unfortunately, joking or not you people have to understand that the events in that novel are canon especially since events in this game follow that novel and include the novel also support that its canon.

And you can't just dismiss it because it degraded a character you like.


And any other has the right to kill another author's character. This is not the first time we've seen this.
^ This. Get over it people.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
You've actually proved that he didn't take the time to do his research. Based on that alone, I'd declare the novel N-canon. You don't take a character that you didn't create and kill them off. It's not something you do as an author. Now if he was cleared to do so, then that might be different.

Anyway, I agree with you
When did this happen??
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

MasterMe's Avatar


MasterMe
10.06.2012 , 02:48 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
The clearly biased ignoring all previous canon novel sure, beforehand, he'd get wiped.
The novel is a novel. Get over it. And no, he wouldn't get whipped before hand. Granted he may not win, but he wouldn't get whipped. Please stop it with the exadurated comments. With a group of people as powerful as Malgus, Malak, or Revan, nobody is going to get "whipped." There's a significant difference between whipped and beaten.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
10.06.2012 , 02:53 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Airmo View Post
When did this happen??
When I e-mailed him asking about why he decided to make KotOR II and the Exile seem so insignificant and write Meetra Surik as a character completely different from the established canon that was out beforehand, mainly providing lines from the KotOR sourcebook, he admitted to having no idea what I was on about and that he had 'never heard of these things'.

He rewrote the Exile from being a Jedi Champion who stamped out the Sith Triumvirate and gained mastery over the Light Side, to a plot device with no abilities beyond being just another companion from the original game.

Then they ignored the effects of the Dark Wars and acted as if everything that happened in KotOR II was basically insignificant and not a big deal at all, despite entire worlds disappearing over night, Telos being attacked openly by the Sith and a Jedi running around saving planet after planet and the extremely sudden reappearance of the Jedi on Dantooine,yeh I doubt that's insignificant.

Now the Dark Wars basically never happened in the grand scheme of things, the Jedi Order was always there on Coruscant(despite everyone in the galaxy stating the exact opposite), the Triumvirate never did anything significant enough to garner proper attention, then the peoples of Nar Shaadha, Dantooine, Telos IV and Onderon seemingly had a case of amnesia and forgot all about it.

Oh wait but that's all contradicted in their own game because according to the Jedi Knight and Consular the Exile was a 'Galactic Hero' and a 'legend'.

/Rant over.

Rayla_Felana's Avatar


Rayla_Felana
10.06.2012 , 02:54 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterMe View Post
The novel is a novel. Get over it. And no, he wouldn't get whipped before hand. Granted he may not win, but he wouldn't get whipped. Please stop it with the exadurated comments. With a group of people as powerful as Malgus, Malak, or Revan, nobody is going to get "whipped." There's a significant difference between whipped and beaten.
What could Revan possibly do against someone with the full power of the Light Side including abilities like Sever Force at her command? not much.

And I stated 'Wiped' as in 'wiped out' not whipped.

Airmo's Avatar


Airmo
10.06.2012 , 04:46 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Rayla_Felana View Post
When I e-mailed him asking about why he decided to make KotOR II and the Exile seem so insignificant and write Meetra Surik as a character completely different from the established canon that was out beforehand, mainly providing lines from the KotOR sourcebook, he admitted to having no idea what I was on about and that he had 'never heard of these things'.

He rewrote the Exile from being a Jedi Champion who stamped out the Sith Triumvirate and gained mastery over the Light Side, to a plot device with no abilities beyond being just another companion from the original game.

Then they ignored the effects of the Dark Wars and acted as if everything that happened in KotOR II was basically insignificant and not a big deal at all, despite entire worlds disappearing over night, Telos being attacked openly by the Sith and a Jedi running around saving planet after planet and the extremely sudden reappearance of the Jedi on Dantooine,yeh I doubt that's insignificant.

Now the Dark Wars basically never happened in the grand scheme of things, the Jedi Order was always there on Coruscant(despite everyone in the galaxy stating the exact opposite), the Triumvirate never did anything significant enough to garner proper attention, then the peoples of Nar Shaadha, Dantooine, Telos IV and Onderon seemingly had a case of amnesia and forgot all about it.

Oh wait but that's all contradicted in their own game because according to the Jedi Knight and Consular the Exile was a 'Galactic Hero' and a 'legend'.

/Rant over.
If you don't mind I'd like to see his response.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."