Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Stop complaining about the War Hero grind

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Stop complaining about the War Hero grind

Siorac
10.06.2012 , 10:43 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
Apples and oranges, man. You absolutely CAN NOT compare the PvE grind to the PvP grind.

The most difficult part of gearing up for end game raiding is putting the group together to do it. Battlemaster gear makes you insta-ready for Hard Mode raiding, so Tionese and Columi can be skipped completely. You can be in full Rakata gear in 2 weeks, or almost full Rakata in a single day if you're lucky with gear drops. The grind from BM to WH takes far longer.
Except that Rakata should be compared to Battlemaster (58 v 58) while War Hero should be compared to Black Hole or Campaign (61 v 61).

I'm willing to bet there are faaar more players with full War Hero than with full Black Hole/Campaign.

Soljin
10.06.2012 , 10:53 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Aizen View Post
Honestly. The war hero grind isn't bad. It's the lack of fulfillment involved. The concept that we need to have this stuff is very bland. Most of the gear looks a bit silly. You are just another player when it comes to this gear as most of us just strip the mods anyways. There is nothing epic about it / no sense of real accomplishment in acquiring it. As most of us rarely feel some serious benefit from it till we augment the hell out of, as well as farm additional pieces of the armor for it's just to strip the mods.
Agreed I really wish they would just straight rip off the force unleashed gear designs and put them in this game...make few tweaks to avoid being sued but follow the idea...That game had real timeless Star Wars gear designs.
Born on Bria.
Clone Zerging Since 2003!

Soljin
10.06.2012 , 10:59 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Siorac View Post
Except that Rakata should be compared to Battlemaster (58 v 58) while War Hero should be compared to Black Hole or Campaign (61 v 61).

I'm willing to bet there are faaar more players with full War Hero than with full Black Hole/Campaign.
That may be the case but its not a difficulty in acquiring it...My Jugg is full WH and BH geared and I got the BH gear from just running the BH Weekly and the Daily HM quest.....Was pretty easy. Dropped the mods in the tionese skin or the BM skin if you want those set bonuses and there you go..... The BH skins are so Ugly its no loss having to move the mods to another Skin for set bonuses.

Its all easy to get...Just takes time I really dont think either was faster then the other...But I feel Like I worked harder for the WH set TBH.
Born on Bria.

SpaniardInfinity
10.06.2012 , 11:05 AM | #34

I know this stat is probably WAY out of date by now, back at the Guild Summit, wasn't it something like only ~40% of the population has run an operation, much less cleared it on HM/NiM/doing progression. If that is still the trend, which I think it is, that right there explains why PvP gear is easier to attain. There's no limit to the number of warzones you play (except maybe your patience), while there is a limit to how often you can weekly run an operation. Also, you can queue for a warzone solo and get matches in a fairly timely manner, something that isn't really possible for PvE (I don't have the patience for running pug operations unless there are people I trust organizing it...after running into a Shadow Tank in Sage DPS and Guardian Tank gear, never again).

That's not to say that the PvE gear curve is difficult, though. It just takes more time to accomplish and for those who do, you can literally skip the Tionese, Columi, and even Rakata tiers. If you do run an operation and get lucky drops, you can accidentally be geared in as little as one night.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

foxmob
10.06.2012 , 11:06 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Kharnski View Post
No, my complaint and concern is that it is getting harder and harder for people to run rated teams, and even when you do run rateds, more than half of the time you are running into undergeared pug teams who are trying to quicken the gear grind (which is why "the best of the best" is a joke). This is not fun for anyone, or at least not for anyone who is out for competition and not a pointless rated number.
I'm with you here. I cringe every time someone advocates farming rated with undergeared toons just to get rated comms faster. personally, I like to play the game, and getting spawn camped isn't playing the game. it's feeding a meat grinder. so I wouldn't bother doing it for that reason alone. but the fact that it feeds valor, comms and rating to opponents who you have no business playing against in the first place (in a rated setting) is a more universal issue. it's like farming valor with friends on Ilum pre- 1.2. invalidates the entire system.
Krackerjäck VG | Krackerjak PT | Krackcommando | Deinon Merc | other stuff on Jedi Covenant.
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

Siorac
10.06.2012 , 11:30 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
That may be the case but its not a difficulty in acquiring it...My Jugg is full WH and BH geared and I got the BH gear from just running the BH Weekly and the Daily HM quest.....Was pretty easy. Dropped the mods in the tionese skin or the BM skin if you want those set bonuses and there you go..... The BH skins are so Ugly its no loss having to move the mods to another Skin for set bonuses.

Its all easy to get...Just takes time I really dont think either was faster then the other...But I feel Like I worked harder for the WH set TBH.
Well yeah, it's not "hard" to get it, it just takes some grinding. Precisely like War Hero.

Personally, I think that the Jugg Black Hole set looks really cool. Infinitely better than the abomination that is the Columi/Rakata. I'm supposed to be a Sith Lord, not a war droid.

Soljin
10.06.2012 , 11:53 AM | #37
Well yeah, it's not "hard" to get it, it just takes some grinding. Precisely like War Hero.

Personally, I think that the Jugg Black Hole set looks really cool. Infinitely better than the abomination that is the Columi/Rakata. I'm supposed to be a Sith Lord, not a war droid.
Head piece looks like something from WoW to me....The Boots are decent but they seem like they should go higher in the back...and I really like the gloves. Chest and Pants are boring and plain IMO. Seems like they didnt try to hard on the Chest which in this game should really be the most impressive given shoulders are attached and their entire coloring system is attached to it...But thats just me.

I actually started playing my Pub alt because I like their gear better...Even though most would argue:} Maybe Im just tweaked.
Born on Bria.

TheronFett
10.06.2012 , 12:27 PM | #38

There's a very simple reason for this: lockouts. You can only raid for gear once per week. Yeah, there's the random daily through the group finder and other methods to get BH comms, but they've effectively limited the amount of PvE gear one can get through the system. In PvP, it's just a matter of how much time you can commit to it.

rob_y
10.06.2012 , 01:00 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
Ok - I only played two level 50 WZs on him so far. I will post more as they happen. The only reason I didn't also post the first warzone was because the screenshot didn't take (does anyone else have this problem or does it just plague me and some of my guildmates?).
Just posting these because I said I would, and I didn't want to be called a liar. Here's my second level 50 voidstar on this character. Took two screens because I realized it would help if I opened my character page to my stats:

http://i49.tinypic.com/v6ko4n.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/or8nlj.jpg

I hit /played so that you could see that it's about four hours of playtime (which includes a lot of standing around on Fleet while crafting / surfing the Internet) after I hit 50, to give a comparison for people complaining about gearing issues.
Yan (55 - Scoundrel) Silch (50 - Guardian) Hoeven (50 - Commando)
Thith'yan (50 - Sorceror) D'lamia (50 - Marauder) Brazo (55 - Powertech)
RIVAL
The Fatman -> Prophecy of the Five

Soljin
10.06.2012 , 01:44 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by rob_y View Post
Just posting these because I said I would, and I didn't want to be called a liar. Here's my second level 50 voidstar on this character. Took two screens because I realized it would help if I opened my character page to my stats:

http://i49.tinypic.com/v6ko4n.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/or8nlj.jpg

I hit /played so that you could see that it's about four hours of playtime (which includes a lot of standing around on Fleet while crafting / surfing the Internet) after I hit 50, to give a comparison for people complaining about gearing issues.
Gratz on being a skilled Commando...Your doing well for your gear no doubt. Doesnt disprove anything about gear gap issues for Startup PvP'ers...Just Proves your a beast on your Commando, all due credit. Average numbers for a WH Merc/Commando are around 350k with 70k heals per match, most I have ever seen is 600k dmg. Your already running ahead of the pack.

That said you put the right guy behind the keyboard in level 50 greens and He will pull high numbers in a WZ... This doesnt prove anythiing except the guy is a beast gamer....Gear is itemized with the "average" player in mind (for this game anyway)...Not an above average in skill payer.

Put your run of the mill "casual" player in Recruit gear (Especially on a Commando) Group up and watch them in WZ's and experience what true Horror looks like.
Born on Bria.