Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

group finder fail

peterjohndevries
10.06.2012 , 04:41 AM | #1
I really don't understand the rationale for what they allow, don't allow in the group finder to get Comms. Why do THEY get to decide what WE want to play? They introduced tiers for FP's in group finder, so why no HM ops? if we are willing to PUG or add a player to our group because we are one short, we shouldn't have to SPAM general chat.

This seems like a completely fabricated limitation that is designed just to piss people off if and when they want to do non listed content and don't have enough people.

schnopsnosn
10.06.2012 , 05:50 AM | #2
Oh yeah, I would be super-psyched to do EC HM with a 13k hp-dps.
You're totally right, that would be SUCH a blast!.

In all honesty:
It wouldn't work.
A lot of people are undergeared, don't know the fights and are unable to deal with the increased amount of mechanics you already have in EC SM.

FlyinSpaghetti
10.06.2012 , 06:51 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by schnopsnosn View Post
Oh yeah, I would be super-psyched to do EC HM with a 13k hp-dps.
You're totally right, that would be SUCH a blast!.

In all honesty:
It wouldn't work.
A lot of people are undergeared, don't know the fights and are unable to deal with the increased amount of mechanics you already have in EC SM.
In the screen that pops up before the op while waiting for players to ready up, they could add an inspect player and vote kick option. Also they could add the harder ops to tier 2 & 3 and lock it until the player has completed the first story modes via group finder a number of times (maybe even giving the player some sort of quest to unlock the harder content in GF).

Those options would be much better than having an auto gear check, allowing guilds some flexibility while making sure people who aren't ready for the content won't be able to play it via group finder.

Just saying "it's too tough" and not finding a solution for the majority to be able to progress onto harder content isn't really right, I'm not paying so some can play the content and I can't even though being fully geared enough for it as I already unsubbed once because of this lack of progression.
Quote: Originally Posted by BaronV View Post
Thats no moon... thats a CARTEL COIN!

schnopsnosn
10.06.2012 , 07:17 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
In the screen that pops up before the op while waiting for players to ready up, they could add an inspect player and vote kick option. Also they could add the harder ops to tier 2 & 3 and lock it until the player has completed the first story modes via group finder a number of times (maybe even giving the player some sort of quest to unlock the harder content in GF).

Those options would be much better than having an auto gear check, allowing guilds some flexibility while making sure people who aren't ready for the content won't be able to play it via group finder.

Just saying "it's too tough" and not finding a solution for the majority to be able to progress onto harder content isn't really right, I'm not paying so some can play the content and I can't even though being fully geared enough for it as I already unsubbed once because of this lack of progression.
The problem is that the engine apparently doesn't allow stuff like that (yet?).

FlyinSpaghetti
10.06.2012 , 09:43 AM | #5
The problem is that the engine apparently doesn't allow stuff like that (yet?).
What do you mean it doesn't allow stuff like that? You can already inspect players, you can already vote kick and they can already lock tiers in group finder to conditions (*like levels for example).

All I've said doesn't require them to redesign the engine at all, just to implement features that are already in the game into the group finder interface.

schnopsnosn
10.06.2012 , 10:24 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by FlyinSpaghetti View Post
What do you mean it doesn't allow stuff like that? You can already inspect players, you can already vote kick and they can already lock tiers in group finder to conditions (*like levels for example).

All I've said doesn't require them to redesign the engine at all, just to implement features that are already in the game into the group finder interface.
They already explained back then that the engine does not allow the things you suggest.
Yes, you can inspect players, but you have to be close to them.
No, you can't lock tiers of FPs/OPs based on gear etc.
They can't even lock the role-choice based on your choices in the skill-tree.

FlyinSpaghetti
10.06.2012 , 11:16 AM | #7
They already explained back then that the engine does not allow the things you suggest.
You're obviously trying to be awkward so lets pick through your points:

Quote:
Yes, you can inspect players, but you have to be close to them.
They limit the distance, it's not a engine flaw. While I'm not sure of the main reason why they do this (probably to save bandwidth) I'm guessing one of the reasons is to stop people from getting into arguments over gear in general. Generally the only reason there needed to be an inspect player was for manual gear checking and pre 1.3 you'd be up close to someone doing that anyway so you didn't need a distance inspect player option until GF hit.

Quote:
No, you can't lock tiers of FPs/OPs based on gear etc.
I don't think you understand coding at all to make that comment, the thing that decides whether a player is of level or not is a conditional statement, they can make any condition they want.

Quote:
They can't even lock the role-choice based on your choices in the skill-tree.
Because there's no such thing as a role choice been implemented in the skill tree, they designed the skill tree as a freedom of role sort of thing where you are not locked out of putting points in any tree or how you play or even what technique/form/cylinder you use etc.. To take account on where everyone puts their points and how they play would be a lot harder for them to implement than you think.

Raideag
10.07.2012 , 02:39 PM | #8
One thing that might be nice to add to the LFG tool behind the scenes, Is a minimum armor rating that the FP/OP is designed for. I'm not talking about gearscore like in WoW, what I'm talking about is the armor rating that SWTOR already has built into the game. Have the LFG tool automatically average a persons gear and only let them queue up for the FP/OP's they are geared for. That way they can add all of the FP, OP's and difficulty ratings all to the same tool. They just need to focus on their formula for what gear is designed to run which FP and OP to progress properly.

Moddable gear = rating 120 - 124 (Fresh 50 with daily mods 22)
Tionese = rating 126
Columi = rating 136
Rakata = rating 140
Black Hole/Campaign = rating 146
Dread Guard/Hazmat = rating 150

Yes, I know it would be dumbing down the tool but in essence it is making the tool more smarter to organize groups more efficiently. Also make it in order to proceed to the next difficulty you have to complete the previous ones on the more difficulty setting.
The Wampas Legacy - lvl 50 - Jedi Covenant
Genla (50) Ossktini (50) Aldius (50) Dodman (50) Senturi (50) Maffis (50)
Raideag (50) Osskto (50)

FlyinSpaghetti
10.08.2012 , 02:16 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Raideag View Post
One thing that might be nice to add to the LFG tool behind the scenes, Is a minimum armor rating that the FP/OP is designed for. I'm not talking about gearscore like in WoW, what I'm talking about is the armor rating that SWTOR already has built into the game. Have the LFG tool automatically average a persons gear and only let them queue up for the FP/OP's they are geared for. That way they can add all of the FP, OP's and difficulty ratings all to the same tool. They just need to focus on their formula for what gear is designed to run which FP and OP to progress properly.

Moddable gear = rating 120 - 124 (Fresh 50 with daily mods 22)
Tionese = rating 126
Columi = rating 136
Rakata = rating 140
Black Hole/Campaign = rating 146
Dread Guard/Hazmat = rating 150

Yes, I know it would be dumbing down the tool but in essence it is making the tool more smarter to organize groups more efficiently. Also make it in order to proceed to the next difficulty you have to complete the previous ones on the more difficulty setting.
The problem with that is someone could be jumping into a HM EC/TFB with war hero pvp gear..

Tako
10.08.2012 , 04:59 AM | #10
You can easily check if it has Expertise and if it does don't count it for PvE LFG.

World of Warcraft managed to implement this without any issues, so I don't see why Bioware cannot do something similair...

This restriction should also be on SM Ops to be honest... we needed 2 pugs and got a newly leveled 50 character with green stuff... As soon as the first boss on EV sneazed on him, he died... naturally we had to kick and wait for a replacement.

I would implement this also for Lost Island for example... I hate waiting 10-15 minutes to join and get a tank who has level 39 stuff (it happened). Then I have to leave the group and wait again... The item rating should be on such instances.
<--- PEOPLE'S IMPERIAL MOVEMENT PARTY EU --->
Social Guild for Casual Players
[Proud owner of CE Edition ]