Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simple solution for fixing dps Mercs/Commandos

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Simple solution for fixing dps Mercs/Commandos

Lowyjowylof
10.05.2012 , 09:03 AM | #21
Here are a couple options I thought of as a Gunnery Commando. Some of them have been mentioned

Move combat shield to Tier 1 or 2, the same for Degauss. Add Hold the line to the gunnery tree near the top or make it a trooper ability and not Vanguard only.

Add elemental/internal damage reduction to heavy armor maybe 15-20%. Reactive shield is our only defensive CD that can be used in PvP, I think this could be a viable addition, even if the ability is purchased at the trainer.

Commando should be able to purchase the ability or have the talent available to make cryo grenade 30M. 10M might work for a Vanguard but not a Commando.

Stockstrike should be a hard stun or Knock Back, not a root. We arenít a Vanguard and can take nowhere near the damage of a Vanguard. This boggles my mind because it is a talent in Gunnery. Who ever decided this should be drug tested...

Or give us similar abilities of a gunslinger with cover and hunker down, to allow us to keep space.
Battle is an orgy of disorder.
George S. Patton

DarthBloodloss
10.05.2012 , 12:06 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
dont know why you bother posting. we've been saying these same things for months now, and the devs continue to ignore our feedback/suggestions, and continue to nerf Merc.

the horse is dead. feel free to continue beating it if you wish
The reason I personally didn't start making suggestions until now is because my suggestions would have sucked. I was not a hard core PvP'er. Even though I knew Merc was under powered, my suggestions would be only based on my own experience and not the reality of end game PvP.

Now that I'm almost 90 valor and have been through thick and thin on my Merc, I feel my suggestions are finally valid and I can see what the class really needs. I have fully augmented, fully optimized WH gear (not counting the new elite stuff). I also have leveled 2 other classes to 50 and can see the bigger picture more clearly.

NOW I can finally start my own list and X out the ideas that are too wild or unbalanced. 95% of players can tell that Mercs need help, 100% of players can throw out suggestions, but how many of those suggestions are made by players with PvP knowledge and not just PvP desire?
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

tehrealdealz
10.05.2012 , 02:40 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
The reason I personally didn't start making suggestions until now is because my suggestions would have sucked. I was not a hard core PvP'er. Even though I knew Merc was under powered, my suggestions would be only based on my own experience and not the reality of end game PvP.

Now that I'm almost 90 valor and have been through thick and thin on my Merc, I feel my suggestions are finally valid and I can see what the class really needs. I have fully augmented, fully optimized WH gear (not counting the new elite stuff). I also have leveled 2 other classes to 50 and can see the bigger picture more clearly.

NOW I can finally start my own list and X out the ideas that are too wild or unbalanced. 95% of players can tell that Mercs need help, 100% of players can throw out suggestions, but how many of those suggestions are made by players with PvP knowledge and not just PvP desire?
Pretty much this. I too have been playing my Merc since launch and have leveled two others classes to level 50 as well-a Vanguard and a Gunslinger. Both of them are in full War Hero gear. After playing my Vanguard and my Gunslinger, it opened up my eyes as to how bad mercs really have it in pvp.

ArchangelLBC
10.05.2012 , 05:28 PM | #24
I've been saying for awhile that a Hold the Line type ability granting immunity to leaps, pulls, and most importantly interrupts as well as giving a speed boost, put into the upper tiers of the Gunnery/Arsenal tree would do wonders for performance in PVP, would differentiate us from Snipers and in general would make the class more fun AND more viable. Simply granting us the CM Energy Shield buff won't be enough because of its cooldown.

They ALSO need to address Heavy Armor in this game because right now outside of a tank stance the DR provided by armor alone is pretty garbage, especially since BW often boosts the lighter armor classes to make up for their "deficiency".

Unfortunately I've also come to the conclusion that BW just isn't listening and just doesn't care. After the last patch it's certain they don't understand how the spec works.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Devilk
10.05.2012 , 07:24 PM | #25
Second post is correct, it would need a cooldown. Then it would work if you can cast it on the move.

cashogy
10.05.2012 , 07:44 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post

wonderfully valid and balanced suggestions have already been made, countless times, by a large number of players. just b/c you are a new merc doesnt meant the devs will suddenly see the light and start making intelligent balance decisions

SajPl
10.05.2012 , 08:51 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Lowyjowylof View Post
Stockstrike should be a hard stun or Knock Back, not a root. We arenít a Vanguard and can take nowhere near the damage of a Vanguard. This boggles my mind because it is a talent in Gunnery. Who ever decided this should be drug tested...
You do understand that a vanguard in plasma/high energy cell has exactly the same defenses and damage reduction as a commando?

Jherad
10.05.2012 , 10:13 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SajPl View Post
You do understand that a vanguard in plasma/high energy cell has exactly the same defenses and damage reduction as a commando?
Its a fairly understandable misconception that some commandos have, because when you *face* a vanguard 1v1, they'll usually win, with quite a bit of their health left.

The reason of course is not extra mitigation/defenses, but because the majority of THEIR damage is instant, and not effected by your attacks - whereas commandos, particularly gunnery but also assault to a lesser extent lose damage output under fire.

Assault vanguards also have a very high proportion of damage that bypasses armour. Assault 'mandos can't spam ion pulse, and gunnery mando's aren't even in the same ballpark.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
ZacharÔah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

ArchangelLBC
10.06.2012 , 12:49 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by SajPl View Post
Same damage reduction is absolutely right. But not quite the same defenses. That AoE 2s stun can be worth its weight in gold.

But yes they're just as squishy as we are, they just make people pay cash for the effort.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

tehrealdealz
10.07.2012 , 04:55 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy View Post
wonderfully valid and balanced suggestions have already been made, countless times, by a large number of players. just b/c you are a new merc doesnt meant the devs will suddenly see the light and start making intelligent balance decisions
I think the reason we haven't seen major changes to the merc despite the constant QQs about the class being garbage in PVP is

1.)BW feels the class is fine the way it is based on it's pve performance.
2.)They don't know how to fix the class but are working on it. (if that's the case then just say something BW but you won't will you.)
3.)They have thrown in the towel on the Merc AC and are hoping that everyone with a merc rerolls and goes away.
Typical reaction to end game content from fresh level 50.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRx49-leiRE
Quote of the Month: "A wise man once said don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history sort it out." -- Random swtor pugger still wearing greens at 50.