Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

bots hacks and cheats killing pvp

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
bots hacks and cheats killing pvp
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Totaltrash's Avatar


Totaltrash
10.04.2012 , 10:58 PM | #161
Quote: Originally Posted by Rob_of_Korriban View Post
I have to admit, recently I've started having suspicions about bots. In a couple of games especially involving the 3 turrets, not novare coast the other one.

There were a couple of players together which seemed to just not have ping whatsoever. The reaction time just wasn't human.

Naturally I don't like to lose. And I'm pretty sure I know the difference between a professional and an automatic response system.
Best advice is that whenever you see something fishy, report, report, report.
Let Bioware sort them out.

kamikrazy's Avatar


kamikrazy
10.05.2012 , 08:48 AM | #162
Quote: Originally Posted by darthnish View Post
/facepalm you need to realize that people are just better than you, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q as an example of what MLG level players are at reaction speed wise., also APM = actions per minute
This isn't StarCraft...
Furthermore, I think it's funny/suspect when players say that there are no hackers on <insert server name>, full stop. Unless they're GMs or devs, it's impossible for them to be so definitive. On top of that, I've known of players getting banned on my server.

Most of what I thought was people hacking/exploiting initially was just lag. The Hero engine is pretty awful, and you'd think an engine for an MMO would have better net-code optimized for PvP combat. A lot of my abilities (especially roots/stuns) need to be timed and activated half a second early in order for me to actually stop someone in a firepit in huttball, for example.

The devs don't exactly inspire confidence here. If they can't provide an even playing field for everyone, then there's simply no point in playing PvP.
White-Hart Legacy The Shadowlands

<say NO to PUGS>

Cymate's Avatar


Cymate
10.05.2012 , 11:29 AM | #163
Recently I saw on the web some very very simple ways to create lag and pass thru fire pits unharmed, for exemple.
Must be the same thing they use to pass thru force fields. Exploiting lag, real smart hey? (not!)

DroidDreamer's Avatar


DroidDreamer
10.05.2012 , 11:35 AM | #164
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
I have still never seen a cheater and I play this game far too much. Please at least try and use your brain.
Same. The only time I suspected it was one match in which I got the dreaded "stuck in prone position" bug three times. But that's happened elsewhere and I really think it's more likely to be a bug.
The DroidDreamer Legacy (Pot5 Server)
Eblen 50 Sorc heals | Sodan 50 Sniper | Trilliant 37 Immortal Jugg | Somnis 50 TankSin
They mark me with the lightning bolt in Huttball.

jediharrsion's Avatar


jediharrsion
10.05.2012 , 11:51 AM | #165
Quote: Originally Posted by darthnish View Post
/facepalm you need to realize that people are just better than you, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q as an example of what MLG level players are at reaction speed wise., also APM = actions per minute
and you need to accept the fact that not all peaple play fair. in face i've seen this happen too the peaple that can't play a fair game resort bot programs and hacks. Thats a fact you'll have to live with.

Wainamoinen's Avatar


Wainamoinen
10.05.2012 , 11:55 AM | #166
Quote: Originally Posted by jediharrsion View Post
and you need to accept the fact that not all peaple play fair. in face i've seen this happen too the peaple that can't play a fair game resort bot programs and hacks. Thats a fact you'll have to live with.
Only it isn't a "fact".

It's your claim unsupported by evidence. That's "hearsay".
It's a small world and it smells funny, I'd buy another if it wasn't for the money.
Ilmarinen 55 Scoundrel (Red Eclipse)

kamikrazy's Avatar


kamikrazy
10.05.2012 , 01:58 PM | #167
Quote: Originally Posted by Wainamoinen View Post
Only it isn't a "fact".

It's your claim unsupported by evidence. That's "hearsay".
In that case, your argument is just as faulty. So because YOU haven't seen someone cheat/hack/exploit means that no one has ever done so? Right.. because you're the authority on these sorts of things. Maybe if your font color was yellow or whatever the BW posts are, then you'd have some authority.
But hey, you don't have to believe me. Just go on youtube and look for yourself, there are plenty of examples of people using hacks in PvP, and plenty of instances where players have gotten banned for using said exploits/hacks.
White-Hart Legacy The Shadowlands

<say NO to PUGS>

Titanstroke's Avatar


Titanstroke
10.05.2012 , 02:37 PM | #168
To all of those people who accuse those who are relating cheating episodes as trying to cover for their inability to play I have data. I was in a WZ match last week, suddenly one group left as a bunch because they were getting beat in Huttball and four came in all the same guild. My meter on my line started going nuts, I was seeing huge lag spikes and data spikes coming up the line which my filter was stopping however the game was lagging out and these toons were popping in and out of view. I had one down to 17% health they popped out of view and showed back up at full health. I took all of it down and turned the players into Bioware at the same time I informed Bioware that I was doing a denial of service complaint both to my ISP and to the FCC.

Since the FCC has come back for two requests for more data I think whoever was doing this is going to bite off a lot more than a Bioware Ban. So yes I have proof that cheats are happening, however a lot of time since the last two patches it has just been the lag from hades that is coming from Bioware Servers that are disrupting everyone.

That one episode was one of only three times in this game that I have seen variations of hacks being used in PvP in this game. Saw a couple of whole guilds catch the ban hammer in WoW and they were using a variation of what I caught in SWTOR we called it the lag cheat and it involves feeding huge data packets into the servers trying to slow everyone but your game down. One way to catch it if you do not have a metered filter on your line is to watch the game clock if it is doing jumps then someone is playing a hack on the WZ report them.
And From The Wreckage I Will Arise & Cast The Ashes Back In Their Eyes

Sock_Bramson's Avatar


Sock_Bramson
10.05.2012 , 02:38 PM | #169
Quote: Originally Posted by kamikrazy View Post
... plenty of instances where players have gotten banned for using said exploits/hacks.
I think this is what people tend to neglect in these threads. Now, I would argue that the number of cheaters (especially in the months since 1.2) is insignificant enough that many people (like me) have never had to deal with them. The important thing, though, is that those few who do resort to cheating are punished in a timely fashion.

Out of curiosity, I did a search for "swtor cheating bans". One of the first links that popped up was a forum for hacks and such. Within, there were many posters talking about getting banned for cheating. What was especially telling, though, was that manyof these cheaters weren't using obvious speed hacks in pvp, but had used bots to run space missions. (there were also your run-of-the-mill pvp cheaters complaining about getting banned, too)

So, not only does BW catch what few pvp cheaters pop up, they also catch cheaters that are never observed by other players. If you think someone is cheating and report them, they will get banned IF they are actually cheating. The problem is that in many of these threads, there are people who simply don't understand how all the classes and specs work. These people file erroneous reports without checking their combat logs or doing any research / testing to see if what they experienced was actually a legitimate ability or a common bug. They then come to the forums to vent, and nothing constructive is accomplished.

If you're not going to take the time to check your facts before reporting someone, please be smart enough to at least be discreet about your possibly frivolous reporting. Just suck it up and acknowledge the possibility that you were simply outplayed. If the person you reported was hacking, they will be punished. If not, re-read two sentences back.
-Hedley Melange <Physics>, Dreshdae-->The Shadowlands-

UGLYMRJ's Avatar


UGLYMRJ
10.05.2012 , 02:52 PM | #170
New Biowear clothing line, coming to a galaxy near you

Biowear... bringing nerdy back

Biowear... go buff yourself

Biowear... They say the clothes make the man... well I'm wearing a f'ing Jedi robe and it's augmented for +10 sexiness

Biowear... Because spending 10 hours straight in front of a computer is no excuse for not being fashionable

Biowear... You can patch these jeans... but 5 more holes will appear

Biowear... your mom borrowed my vibrosword

Biowear... Coming soon...Powertech sweat pants, making all the girls want some "rapid shots"

Biowear... You'll look so damn good... all the ladies will want to touch your hilt.

Biowear... Customizing clothing specifically for you... and then shipping you whatever the f*$# we want.

Biowear... Suck my my Huttballs

Attn Biowear shoppers,

We have a new subscription based shopping experience coming to our North American and European customers. For the low price of $15 a month you can have an unlimited supply of the newest Biowear products. Simply fill out one of our "preference forms" to give us an idea of what you like and what style fits you and we may or may not even read it and ship you whatever article of Biowear clothing happens to be nearby. Thanks for shopping Biowear!


Biowear Customer Service: 1-888-FKUR-COUCH