Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

Styxx
10.05.2012 , 11:17 AM | #11
Old news...

And about those 40%... there is a little big difference between not having 15$ and not wanting to have 15$.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Soluss
10.05.2012 , 11:18 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by dscount View Post
I agree and so do most of those in the MMO community. No way will it happen.

I do think SWTOR could get back up to that 2 million mark IF they make some significant changes. I think F2P is the only way to inflate the numbers, but I think the true value is if they start listening to feedback.

Granted, some feedback is reviewed and acted on (not sure how, but it's happening).

That 1000 Papercuts is an excellent example of a model they should look into. A focus group working alongside with BW to develop a better product for everyone. Heck I'd jump onboard to help make it a better product and so would many others that love the game, but hate it's death spiral that it's begun. Signing NDA's and such would be in order, but it's worth it to BW to get engaged with customers. I don't think DEV's play this game themselves or more would be fixed prior to deployment.
Unfortunately, Bioware has always worked with "focus groups". They called them "internal testers". I say this is unfortunate... because its the internal testers they have been listening to all along. Bad decision after bad decision, was made in beta and currently, due to listening to these internal testers and not the people playing the game.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Foobert
10.05.2012 , 11:19 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Soluss View Post
50 million people ROFL. Do they expect that everyone playing farmville is going to all of a sudden play this game?
Of course, because when it goes F2P, the price and risk barrier to entry is even going to be lower than WoW's. I'm suffering through some of the same annoying bugs as the rest of you but I'm still hesitant to drop the coin on MoP because that's an extra $30 initial entry fee to start it (since I'm not getting this month's swtor $15 back even if I unsubbed today).

Apaolo
10.05.2012 , 11:20 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
Old article.

The result the first time it appeared on these forums was a firestorm. Please use search.

The salient take away was that EA says *WE* the players left SWTOR because of the subscription instead of the lack of content and features that many AAA MMORPGs have and which we have grown accustomed.

If you want to ADD to that the recient craptastic Patch 1.4, I would be surprised if EAware keeps 500K subscribers if they don't fix many of the errors introduced and REintroduced with this patch.
Agreed. What they didn't elaborate on the 40% not wanting to pay the sub fee, was the words before that, which was "game is not worth....".

Free or sub, nobody wants a broken game, with subpar development. Period.

Gryphandor
10.05.2012 , 11:29 AM | #15
Because I believe the issue for people is playing and paying for two MMO's. I think the FTP option will bring in more people in to the game but I do not think it will be as high as they suspect. It is still really hard free or not to have the time in your day to play two different MMO's. You got to draw the line and let one go.

Thats what happend here with SWToR. People went back to the other MMO they have played for years because of the time invested and the people they have there. They are attached! It was never because this game is bad. This game is awesome. FTP or not this game will be the one game I pay a sub for each month because for me it is worth it. I just had to let myself move on from the other MMO I played for over 7yrs also say goodbye to a great many good people..

One day EA and Bioware realize that factor. They will understand that this game isn't fail and a success in its own way. One that with some effort and hard work could infact one day be king of all MMO's despite the limitation so many put on it from the Hero engine.
Gryphandor Legacy
Maldarius Juggernaut, Daríous Mercenary, Godríc Marauder

Soldaric Commando, Leoríc Smuggler, Lexiann Shadow

KinCharBamin
10.05.2012 , 11:32 AM | #16
Yeah I think it's a combo of "I'm not willing to pay good money for a crap game".
Fix it and I'll pay for it, leave it and I'll play for free.
So it's a partial truth, and analysts can spin it any way they want.
Kin-Char Bamin, Jedi Knight
The MTV Jedi
http://www.kincharbamin.com

UltimateKrucible
10.05.2012 , 11:48 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylaEwa View Post
Turned off by the subscription? No.. I thought they were leaving because of the game-breaking bugs that were never fixed.
Just for the record - what game-breaking bugs are we talking about?

Please ... give me a list of 10 or so and not a rant. It's just that, while I've come across the occasional annoying snafu ... I can't pinpoint anything that's stopped me playing the game.
. Shine on, you crazy pixel.

Funny post! The nine circles of SW:TOR PvP hell

TheRealCandyMan
10.05.2012 , 11:52 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Chuckbobuck View Post
50 million players by next year sounds perfectly reasonable.
I agree.

Soluss
10.05.2012 , 12:01 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Foobert View Post
Of course, because when it goes F2P, the price and risk barrier to entry is even going to be lower than WoW's. I'm suffering through some of the same annoying bugs as the rest of you but I'm still hesitant to drop the coin on MoP because that's an extra $30 initial entry fee to start it (since I'm not getting this month's swtor $15 back even if I unsubbed today).
The idea of F2P is to not have free players but to have players that will pay for content. The barrier for that content is still money. When they release new content, for F2P people, it will be no different then what you just said. You will have to drop coin on that just like MoP.

Even still, 50 million people is more then ambitious guestimate
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

Blackavaar
10.05.2012 , 12:16 PM | #20
This just in. Old news is old.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]