Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

EA Statement on Subscriber Numbers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

ufarax
10.05.2012 , 10:34 AM | #1
Found this on TORWARS (http://torwars.com/2012/08/06/torwar...-free-to-play/)

“First, the game many of you have been tracking closely, Star Wars: The Old Republic. Although it launched well, subscriptions have been on a declining trajectory and have now slipped below one million. Last year we announced that the breakeven point was roughly 500,000 subscribers. And while we are well above that today, that’s not good enough. The message from players exiting the game is clear – 40 percent say they were turned off by the monthly subscription. And many indicated they would come back if we offered a free-to-play model. Our plan now is to pivot and provide a two-tiered pricing plan which will make the game more accessible and grow the audience. The new pricing will go into effect in November.”

MMORPG Interview with Jeff Hickman and Matthew Bromberg – Source

“They plan on releasing these every six weeks, and they’ll include different sorts of content each time: warzones, operations, public events, and so on (even a mix of all three might be possible). And while there’s no set price point for each update, they plan to break it down into different options enough so that PVP folks can focus on buying the content they want, and dungeon folks can focus on what they want, while others can buy everything in one package if they want as well. They also have a brand new event for all subscribers coming in August which is a public world event like the Rhakgoul Invasion.”

Game Analysts Predict that F2P could bring 50 million Monthly Users to SWTOR

Wedbush currently has a 12-month price target of $29 and a rating of “Outperform” for EA. The market is reacting positively to EA’s fiscal news, which involved making Star Wars: The Old Republic free. EA’s stock closed up almost six percent at $11.68.

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter:

“We believe the free-to-play option and lower retail price will combine to significantly increase the number of Star Wars players by the end of the year as the two largest barriers to entry for potential Star Wars gamers (apart from an appreciation for the franchise and PC gaming) have been significantly reduced or eliminated. We expect the network effect to augment the number of gamers further. In the long-term, we believe the adjustments will result in incremental revenue and earnings growth as high-margin Cartel Coin purchases by a much larger pool of gamers and additional advertising generate more revenue than was lost through declining subscription fees and the lower MSRP.”

Ultimately, Pachter believes that Star Wars now has the potential to “attract at least 10 million Monthly Active Users indefinitely, with upside to perhaps 50 million.” He added, “Thus, we believe that contribution from the model shift could be significant for years to come.”

Chuckbobuck
10.05.2012 , 10:38 AM | #2
50 million players by next year sounds perfectly reasonable.
Herbie Hancock, Fat Mama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wNY9JFR-KY

powertech ... or vanguard?

Urael
10.05.2012 , 10:44 AM | #3
Old article.

The result the first time it appeared on these forums was a firestorm. Please use search.

The salient take away was that EA says *WE* the players left SWTOR because of the subscription instead of the lack of content and features that many AAA MMORPGs have and which we have grown accustomed.

If you want to ADD to that the recient craptastic Patch 1.4, I would be surprised if EAware keeps 500K subscribers if they don't fix many of the errors introduced and REintroduced with this patch.

TaylaEwa
10.05.2012 , 10:45 AM | #4
Turned off by the subscription? No.. I thought they were leaving because of the game-breaking bugs that were never fixed.
"Think, then act. Don't act, then think."

<<Order 65 on Harbinger>>

Chaffery
10.05.2012 , 10:51 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylaEwa View Post
Turned off by the subscription? No.. I thought they were leaving because of the game-breaking bugs that were never fixed.
This!!! No one is mentioning that ToR is most bugged game to date. Every patch breaks up something. Game is not final product, it is a beta test version. And we actually paying to be a beta testers.

Froippi
10.05.2012 , 10:55 AM | #6
yet they still don't get how to run a mmo its been mis managed from the start and i doubt things will change

TUXs
10.05.2012 , 10:57 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by TaylaEwa View Post
That and lack of end game content. The sub wasn't the issue. Soon that reality will hit Bioware too.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Soluss
10.05.2012 , 11:05 AM | #8
EA needs new analysts. Their theory is wrong. There is no way in high hell that this game will get 50 million subscribers, EVER. They predict that by next year. LMAO.

Sure some people will come back... including myself. Only to finish the stories and never pay a penny for it. I wont be paying for new Ops. I wont be paying for new warzones. I wont be buying any garbage fluff from the store.

People didnt leave over 15 bucks a month. They left because it wasnt worth paying 15 bucks a month for. Most of those people are not likely to pay much money in the store either.

50 million people ROFL. Do they expect that everyone playing farmville is going to all of a sudden play this game?
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."

dscount
10.05.2012 , 11:15 AM | #9
I agree and so do most of those in the MMO community. No way will it happen.

I do think SWTOR could get back up to that 2 million mark IF they make some significant changes. I think F2P is the only way to inflate the numbers, but I think the true value is if they start listening to feedback.

Granted, some feedback is reviewed and acted on (not sure how, but it's happening).

That 1000 Papercuts is an excellent example of a model they should look into. A focus group working alongside with BW to develop a better product for everyone. Heck I'd jump onboard to help make it a better product and so would many others that love the game, but hate it's death spiral that it's begun. Signing NDA's and such would be in order, but it's worth it to BW to get engaged with customers. I don't think DEV's play this game themselves or more would be fixed prior to deployment.
Sage/Sorc Gate 2013 Combat DEV LOL Responses:
"...you must play defensively and make them pay for trying to kill you."
"...require a higher skill level than many players are comfortable with."

Foobert
10.05.2012 , 11:15 AM | #10
At the end of the day the elephant in the room is still revolving around the subscription fees though. I'm pretty sure if you didn't have to pay the monthly fee, you'd try to work your way through the bugs because hey, you're "not paying anything". I've seen more "I'm going to F2P as soon as it launches" posts on the forums here than "I'm unsubbing and never coming back ever" posts. You can probably be sure that a fair amount of the currently unsubbed-in-dissatisfaction players are going to log in after F2P launches even if just to check it out because perceptionwise, free gets equivocated to risk-free.