Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Eventual Story End

Darth_Taral
10.04.2012 , 01:28 PM | #1
So I was thinking about this a moment, and I want to know what you guys think:

There is a bit of a dichotomy in terms of the lore and where the game is going. Namely, the game needs to go on for as long as possible, while still eventually leading to an end-point that can be picked up by the EU.

The Empire eventually needs to end. The Emperor needs to die and have no replacements, the Dark Council needs to be killed, the Sith Lords and troops, all gone. The Empire needs to be completely wiped out. The Sith start again from scratch in 2,000 BBY when Phanius falls to the Dark Side and becomes Darth Ruin, so pretty much every trace needs to be wiped out, probably within a few years of the events of the game.

But that grossly undermines the playability of the game. While it's ok right now to be a Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor, or Imperial Agent (noting that the Bounty Hunter might be exempt from this), eventually, that character will either die or go into hiding and die alone, while Republic characters triumph and win.

Now, one option to address this might be to conclude the story of the Second Great Galactic War in novels or comics. After all, the events of the upcoming TOR: Annihilation novel take place after the events of Chapter 3 (note that the Chapter 3 conclusion of the Jedi Knight story is in the blurb, but probably before whatever happens on Makeb). But that has its problems. For one, if the comics/novels would either be written while the game is still going, which undermines the playability somewhat (why should I play when my character will die, regardless of my input?) or they can be written in 10 years time, when BW closes the last server, which would undermine book sales, since they'd be writing about a game no one is playing anymore/interested in.

I would love a novel that shows the fates of the eight player characters. Maybe even giving them canonical genders, names, and species. But again, write it now and why should I keep playing? Or write it later, but will I still care?

Thoughts on this issue?

errant_knight
10.04.2012 , 01:33 PM | #2
You`re assuming that those events have to happen within the time span of the game and without pockets of the empire surviving in some, perhaps unexpected way--even unrecognizable way from the point of view of people in the future. The game doesn`t have to end with genocide, in fact, I`m certain it won`t. The end of the empire can happen long after our character`s deaths from old age.

OldVengeance
10.04.2012 , 01:37 PM | #3
To stay in line with the EU, the Sith need to be destroyed and the Republic needs to win, but the rest of the Empire's inhabitants doesn't necessarily need to die with the Empire. And it doesn't necessarily need to happen within the 8 characters lifetimes no.

errant_knight
10.04.2012 , 01:50 PM | #4
Another thing to consider is that fact of the past exist only so far as characters know about those events. These things can change and evolve as new information comes to light. What Luke and the other characters knew as the past isn`t necessarily the whole of it, or even entirely correct. Lots of things can happen, as long as there are times in the future where events are seen as they`ve been shown prior to this. You can bet that if the second three movies had happened after the first 3 instead of before, something messed up would have happened.

Eightus
10.04.2012 , 05:00 PM | #5
Quote:
You`re assuming that those events have to happen within the time span of the game and without pockets of the empire surviving in some, perhaps unexpected way--even unrecognizable way from the point of view of people in the future. The game doesn`t have to end with genocide, in fact, I`m certain it won`t. The end of the empire can happen long after our character`s deaths from old age.

Agreed.

Uluain
10.04.2012 , 05:56 PM | #6
All that needs to occur in the game is for the conflict to continue in one guise or another. We know where the story in Star Wars eventually goes, but we have been left a few thousand years to get there - even as much as 1,500 years to the rise of Darth Ruin.

As an example of the span of time involved and the amount of history it can encompass, 1,500 years ago, in our own world, Mohammed had yet to be born. The Western Roman Empire had fallen within the past fifty years. England as a unified kingdom would not exist for another four hundred and fifteen years. By any historical standard, that is a long time.

Where SWTOR's story goes over the course of the game is up to the ingenuity of the writers, although I imagine they have a rough outline in mind. For out part, we'll just have to play it to see.

JLazarillo
10.04.2012 , 07:16 PM | #7
As mentioned, there's a lot of time between this game and the timeline proper. We also know that the eventual Rebpulic uses the insignia of the current Empire. Given that, I think it's pretty likely that the any eventual endpoint to the story is not likely to involve one side being wiped out, but rather both sides likely coming together. Of course, there's still the requirement to explain what happened to all the Sith...perhaps wherever the story goes leads to the dark side itself being somehow crippled?

SnazzyMcSplendid
10.04.2012 , 09:33 PM | #8
I'm not sure I understand why the game needs to fit in perfectly with the rest of the Star Wars lore, anyway. Granted, I've never read a single Star Wars related novel (and, my knowledge of the EU comes from what I've heard other mention, mostly), but aren't there a bunch of different levels of Canon, or something?

Personally, if Bioware came out and said that, as far as they're concerned, their MMO exists on its own level of Canon, I'd be alright with that. For example... you've got the Republic and the Empire, and the war between them... if the Republic ultimately win, then things progress in a way that leads you toward the existing lore. But, if the Empire ultimately win, then you end up with things drifting into an alternate time line... so, it becomes a weird sort of Star Wars alternate history story.

Of course, there's nothing to suggest that Bioware's plans for the game are anything like that. I'm just saying that, if they were, I'd be perfectly happy to just go with it.

Uluain
10.04.2012 , 10:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SnazzyMcSplendid View Post
I'm not sure I understand why the game needs to fit in perfectly with the rest of the Star Wars lore, anyway.
Short answer is that while they are licensed to use the setting, the franchise still belongs to Lucasfilm and a certain amount of emphasis is placed on not contradicting other sources where avoidable.

SnazzyMcSplendid
10.05.2012 , 01:25 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Short answer is that while they are licensed to use the setting, the franchise still belongs to Lucasfilm and a certain amount of emphasis is placed on not contradicting other sources where avoidable.
And, they could do that pretty easily by declaring the game to be set in its own time line which may, or may not, actually lead into the stuff that comes later. But, if it's LucasArts refusing to loosen the reins that's the issue, then I suppose there's nothing that can be done about it.

From a story-telling perspective (especially in something like an MMORPG) it seems horribly limiting, though. Kind of makes you wonder why anyone else would even want to try to write a story in the Star Wars universe.

Oh well... I'll still be using the alternate time-line thing as my own personal Canon, for now, at least. Pretty sure Lucasfilm can't actually come after me for changing their story in my own head.