Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Whos the bad guys?


OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
10.04.2012 , 05:56 PM | #111
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
I can see your point. I'm not actually trying to justify the obvious corruption in the Republic.

I've just seen the argument that "the Republic is just as bad as the Empire, they just hide it better," and it comes across as silly to me.

If I were living in the Old Republic universe, the Sith Empire would be a frightening place to be, dominated by fear and distrust. You could be murdered by a Sith Lord on the steps of the Dromund Kaas plaza just because you looked sideways at him as he walked by, and everyone else would just look down and pretend it didn't happen.

If you were on Coruscant, at the steps of the Senate Tower, would you expect any Jedi Master to ever behave that way?
I agree and I think this is the root of the argument. I hate to use another Nazi reference but I think it fits well here. The USA has done a number of unquestionably morally dubious things over the course of the 20th century. For instance, interning Japanese Americans during the Second World War. But that doesn't mean that during World War 2, the Allies were exactly the same as the Axis powers.

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
10.04.2012 , 06:02 PM | #112
That's totally not what I was saying. I think there are a couple of different conversations going on in this thread that are being taken as being one and the same.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.04.2012 , 06:30 PM | #113
I'm going to answer this question as simply as possible. The bad guys are the guys that use the red lightsabers and shoot lightning out of their fingers. A simple and correct answer.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
10.04.2012 , 06:32 PM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
That's totally not what I was saying. I think there are a couple of different conversations going on in this thread that are being taken as being one and the same.
Ah, my mistake. Looking over your posts I believe your point is the actual depth of the storytelling would be lost if someone were to look at things in terms of "everything the Republic does is good" and "everything the Empire does is evil"

If I've understood you correctly, I believe this is an excellent point.

Some of the other opinions in this thread have been expressed as "either side can be good or bad, depending on your point of view." That was more what I was debating against.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.04.2012 , 06:36 PM | #115
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I agree and I think this is the root of the argument. I hate to use another Nazi reference but I think it fits well here. The USA has done a number of unquestionably morally dubious things over the course of the 20th century. For instance, interning Japanese Americans during the Second World War. But that doesn't mean that during World War 2, the Allies were exactly the same as the Axis powers.
The Nazi argument is the best argument you can put forth. The Galactic Empire was a sci-fi copy of the Third Reich. The Empire even had Stormtroopers. If that doesn't say anything I don't know what will.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
10.04.2012 , 06:41 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
The Nazi argument is the best argument you can put forth. The Galactic Empire was a sci-fi copy of the Third Reich. The Empire even had Stormtroopers. If that doesn't say anything I don't know what will.
Perhaps, but I feel that a more entertaining debate is had when Godwin's law isn't involved.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
10.04.2012 , 06:47 PM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Perhaps, but I feel that a more entertaining debate is had when Godwin's law isn't involved.
Maybe so, but it has been stated numerous times that the Galactic Empire is similar in numerous ways to the Third Reich. I would compare the Sith Empire to Ancient Rome with some Communism attached.

Anyway. It's obvious that the Sith Empire is the bad guys. Anyone who doesn't think so needs to check their moral compass.

Why?

Because slavery is wrong. Genocide is wrong. Murder in general is wrong, but murder just because you feel like it is wrong. Need I go on. I've pretty much noted every evil deed the Empire has commited.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
10.04.2012 , 07:03 PM | #118
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Ah, my mistake. Looking over your posts I believe your point is the actual depth of the storytelling would be lost if someone were to look at things in terms of "everything the Republic does is good" and "everything the Empire does is evil"

If I've understood you correctly, I believe this is an excellent point.

Some of the other opinions in this thread have been expressed as "either side can be good or bad, depending on your point of view." That was more what I was debating against.
I wasn't talking to you there, but others. You got my point exactly.

Evgen's Avatar


Evgen
10.04.2012 , 08:01 PM | #119
In this game there is a very clear Good side and bad Side.
Unlike WoW where it's more of just two sides, though you could easily argue the Horde are the good guys, and there is of course the NPC Scourge which are the obvious bad guys.
I thought this was going to be more about individual characters. Not the PCs, as you choose your side, but the major NPCs. For example I would think Garza is a bad guy. Revan, a good guy.

errant_knight's Avatar


errant_knight
10.05.2012 , 12:22 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Evgen View Post
In this game there is a very clear Good side and bad Side.
Unlike WoW where it's more of just two sides, though you could easily argue the Horde are the good guys, and there is of course the NPC Scourge which are the obvious bad guys.
I thought this was going to be more about individual characters. Not the PCs, as you choose your side, but the major NPCs. For example I would think Garza is a bad guy. Revan, a good guy.
Hmm...you think npc Revan is a good guy and npc Scourge is a bad guy? I think you just proved my point about the level of murky involved in deciding those alignments.