Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Pulse detonator only active from cover..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Smuggler
Pulse detonator only active from cover..

Consular_Rosseau's Avatar


Consular_Rosseau
10.02.2012 , 03:27 AM | #1
For the Smuggler class, as many of you may know the only way to activate PULSE DETONATOR is via crouch/roll into cover. Pls correct me if im wrong, but as far as im aware the smuggler class is the only class that requires you to activate another ability before use of the stated ability.
Now iI dont know about the rest of you but for me its kind of frustrating especially if your playing WZ or PvP.
With all these recent class/abilitys updates im supprised that this issue hasn't been addressed by now,
if anything its a hindrance to the class.

Liringlass's Avatar


Liringlass
10.02.2012 , 03:26 PM | #2
This thread has no point... the entire gunslinger class is based on the cover mechanic. Not only does it make you immune to interupts it also gives 20% ranged defense. As for the Pulse Detonator only activating from cover... the roll into cover and crouch abilities do not respect global cooldown and thus you can hit your cover and your keybind for detonator at the same time. If you are a clicker then thats your own loss.

Gassygunslinger's Avatar


Gassygunslinger
10.02.2012 , 06:28 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Liringlass View Post
Not only does it make you immune to interupts it also gives 20% ranged defense.
FALSE.

If you have legit physical cover between you and your enemy, you get 100% ranged defense (except for AOEs).

Mister "Other Class" who doesn't have to go into cover to use a knockback will have that same dude jump right back on him like bad movies on Nicholas Cage, because he doesn't have cover. So yeah.

Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
10.02.2012 , 08:46 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Gassygunslinger View Post
If you have legit physical cover between you and your enemy, you get 100% ranged defense (except for AOEs).
Uhh... no. It doesn't. Using real cover (re: not the shield you make yourself to hide behind) provides you with 20% ranged defense. Using your "fake" cover (re: the shield you make yourself when you use cover without any real cover around) provides less (15% I believe). If it were 100% ranged defense, every attack made against you would be pretty much guaranteed to miss you, which simply doesn't happen. Honestly, I have no idea why you'd even think it provided that much. You can even check your character screen when you're in cover to see what it provides.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Gassygunslinger's Avatar


Gassygunslinger
10.03.2012 , 03:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Uhh... no. It doesn't. Using real cover (re: not the shield you make yourself to hide behind) provides you with 20% ranged defense. Using your "fake" cover (re: the shield you make yourself when you use cover without any real cover around) provides less (15% I believe). If it were 100% ranged defense, every attack made against you would be pretty much guaranteed to miss you, which simply doesn't happen. Honestly, I have no idea why you'd even think it provided that much. You can even check your character screen when you're in cover to see what it provides.
Click on the Sticky at the top of the Smuggler boards and get yourself some knowledges!

And yes, all direct attacks miss against you (provided you aren't currently popping up to shoot) while in natural cover.
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.

BeToo's Avatar


BeToo
10.04.2012 , 07:08 AM | #6
I agree with the OP that it feels a bit silly when trying to knock people off things in huttball ... as a rDPS, you have to leave cover, run up to some guy on the bridges, crouch, then hit the knock back. (usually they seem to push/KB me first since they don't have to crouch first) The ability was definitely designed to simply be used when you are crouched and shooting things from afar, as if that happens very often in a WZ.

CaptainApop's Avatar


CaptainApop
10.04.2012 , 01:01 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Gassygunslinger View Post
Click on the Sticky at the top of the Smuggler boards and get yourself some knowledges!

And yes, all direct attacks miss against you (provided you aren't currently popping up to shoot) while in natural cover.
Sure, 100% provided you are doing nothing. For all practical reasons 20%/15%
"I bind kolto probes to Q, partially for the convenience but mostly for the irony"

Subterfuge legacy - Tomb of Freedon Nadd

Gassygunslinger's Avatar


Gassygunslinger
10.04.2012 , 06:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptainApop View Post
Sure, 100% provided you are doing nothing. For all practical reasons 20%/15%
Timing. It's your friend. In Maelstrom Prison, I'm the only one who doesn't have to hide once the final boss gets frisky with a sniper rifle. Also, anyone who likes to used ranged attacks with an activation time can be countered pretty darn easily. Especially if you're using Charged Burst against THEM.


Also how many classes can tank ranged Champion mobs indefinitely? Just toss a few vital shots in right after they attack, and you can stay nice and safe behind your natural cover as you slowly wear them down. In a pinch, with a tank down, I've also tanked Hard Mode bosses like that. Tank? Don't need no tank. I got cover. Was it close? Darn right. Did it still work? Heck ya.
Longtime SWG Vet: "Guillemette of Bria" Respect the Smuggler History
Elder Smuggler, Winner of the 5th Anniversary Rebel Painting Contest

Etten of Vrook Lamar.