Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

wainot-keel
10.04.2012 , 02:27 PM | #2141
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
That you can find a game in which all romance options work both ways it doesn't mean that it's necessarily a good idea.
Also, that you can find a game with exclusive options doesn't mean that's necessarily a good idea either.

It all dependes how it's written. Difference is with either approach, when all LIs are available for both genders, a lot of more people get to enjoy those romaces. If romances are restricted, fewer people do.

Rabenschwinge
10.04.2012 , 02:41 PM | #2142
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
Also, that you can find a game with exclusive options doesn't mean that's necessarily a good idea either.

It all dependes how it's written. Difference is with either approach, when all LIs are available for both genders, a lot of more people get to enjoy those romaces. If romances are restricted, fewer people do.
That is why I am suggesting to rather add new companions which are not tied to a single one class. Because the existing options are extremely limited. If the existing ones would be made available, almost all current options would have to be made available, regardless of whether that fits into the character concept or not. I would prefer if there were several options, but every single option, for everyone.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

Captain_Zone
10.04.2012 , 03:36 PM | #2143
Quote: Originally Posted by Zandilar View Post
Clarification (and I don't mean to offend anyone with my descriptions below), this is how I see the body types:

BT 1 = Anorexic (I guess this one is meant to be just skinny)
BT 2 = Less Anorexic (this one is supposed to be the normal body type, I think)
BT 3 = Tall, athletic, muscular, in other words amazonian
BT 4 = healthy body weight, though some would call this one "fat", TVTropes would call this one Hollywood Pudgy. For some reason this one corresponds to the male corpulently obese (but muscular as well) body type.

Most of my characters are BT3, with one or two being either BT2 or 4. I refuse to use BT1 on principle.
I have to disagree about female body type 4 being closest to Britney Spears. She's not curvy enough or busty enough, imo. That, and I find her to be extremely skanky. My closest comparison of an actress to female body type 4 would be Noa Tishby. Fell in love with her on Leverage (The 2 Live Crew Job).
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Uluain
10.04.2012 , 04:26 PM | #2144
We were told in March that each available companion was being given specific, new dialog and story for same-gender romance. Perhaps this is in part to establish the character as specifically so inclined for purposes of that relationship. Thus, opposite-gender romance Corso (for example) becomes in effect a distinct character from same-gender romance Corso. I'd call this "herosexual, done right". The core persona need not change at all to accomodate orientation if the story holds up in both available options.

Halinmonk
10.04.2012 , 05:51 PM | #2145
A thought: Has anyone checked to see if the current companion voice actors have done more work for BioWare? I mean, adding SGR must take a lot f redone lines and flirts, their should be a record of it somewhere.

Uluain
10.04.2012 , 07:49 PM | #2146
Quote: Originally Posted by Halinmonk View Post
A thought: Has anyone checked to see if the current companion voice actors have done more work for BioWare? I mean, adding SGR must take a lot f redone lines and flirts, their should be a record of it somewhere.
I don't know where it would be documented separately. Usually, actors are credited with a recurring role for the full span of their involvement with a particular project, as 2010–present (or whenever they began voice work on SWTOR). Even if we could track it down, it would only indicate that more companion dialog was being voiced, and not specifically related to same-gender romance.

wainot-keel
10.04.2012 , 09:24 PM | #2147
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
We were told in March that each available companion was being given specific, new dialog and story for same-gender romance. Perhaps this is in part to establish the character as specifically so inclined for purposes of that relationship. Thus, opposite-gender romance Corso (for example) becomes in effect a distinct character from same-gender romance Corso. I'd call this "herosexual, done right". The core persona need not change at all to accomodate orientation if the story holds up in both available options.
Well, if SGRs are indeed delivered with Makeb, which will be a class story extension (new level cap and all), I don't think it's far fetched to hope that companions' stories will be extended as well. If that's the case, voice actors that have already done the current romance stuff could record the necessary changes to have those romance available for same gender as well. Here's hoping.

errant_knight
10.05.2012 , 12:32 AM | #2148
Personally, I'd rather they created new characters who were gay and bi. Too many people think that sexuality can be changed by external forces as it is without reinforcing that notion in entertainment. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.

Palar
10.05.2012 , 01:17 AM | #2149
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
Personally, I'd rather they created new characters who were gay and bi. Too many people think that sexuality can be changed by external forces as it is without reinforcing that notion in entertainment. And that's pretty much all I have to say about that.
I get why they don't want to 'lock' people out of options, but that's a fair point too.

HellbirdIV
10.05.2012 , 02:01 AM | #2150
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
You know, even if we somehow equate adding same-gender options to existing characters as "external forces changing their sexuality" I still want my Consular to be able to flirt with Nadia even if she does turn her down. I don't think the characters need to be altered to allow them to be open-minded to the possibility of same-sex romance.

Also, speaking from personal experience, external factors can play a part. No, you don't "turn gay" nor can you "cure gay", but being faced with new facts can reveal facets of our own person we did not reckognize before that - someone who is gay or bi might not realize it until it "hits them", so to speak.