Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simple solution for fixing dps Mercs/Commandos

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Simple solution for fixing dps Mercs/Commandos

tehrealdealz
10.04.2012 , 10:54 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
No, you need a lot of help.
^^probably plays a marauder.

Volxen
10.04.2012 , 11:38 AM | #12
The fact is Mercs were never "Overpowered". They should have not been nerfed to begin with. They used to be balanced as a ranged DPS class. Yes, prior to patch 1.2 you could simply spam one button (Tracer Missile) and do decent damage, but you would NOT achieve maximum damage by doing this. A lot of bad players decided to cry, cry, and then cry some more about this, rather than simply use their interrupts to shut "tracer missile only" mercenary's down.

Patch 1.2 DESTROYED the viability of the Arsenal Mercenary tree. It's as simple as that, and no screenshot of one or two mercenary's doing "good" damage changes that. Those same players would simply be doing even MORE damage playing marksmanship sniper, so its a moot point.

A class or tree is not fine when the role it is supposed to serve (in this case, "glass canon") is completely overshadowed by another tree/class. Again, Arsenal Mercenary is completely overshadowed by marksmanship sniper. The fact that mercenary has been left in its current state so long is just embarrassing.

Technohic
10.04.2012 , 11:53 AM | #13
I posted this in the other thread about Merc DPS on arsenal tree; but this is also simple. I don't think it would go too far, maybe even not far enough, but it would be a start.
:

1. Reduce cast time on tracer missile slightly. Stationary target needing to fire this several times, just stuck in place too much. Shorter cast would at least give you the chance to move in between a little more often.

2. Proc Barrage a little before the end of the cast of tracer missile. As it is now, I am already started on the next TM many times when I hear the proc for barrage

3. Heat signature, power barrier and tracer lock currently seem to stack when the TM hits. Seems like an unnecessary delay when the proc on Pyro activates as soon as you activate unload and as soon as power shot fires. Either make it stack on instant of firing, or have tracer missile projectile move much faster.

Just some very slight things I think would go a long way. The problem with the class is it is sluggish and stationary and lacks utility. This would at least help you move through rotations faster and move on.

tehrealdealz
10.04.2012 , 01:07 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
The fact is Mercs were never "Overpowered". They should have not been nerfed to begin with. They used to be balanced as a ranged DPS class. Yes, prior to patch 1.2 you could simply spam one button (Tracer Missile) and do decent damage, but you would NOT achieve maximum damage by doing this. A lot of bad players decided to cry, cry, and then cry some more about this, rather than simply use their interrupts to shut "tracer missile only" mercenary's down.

Patch 1.2 DESTROYED the viability of the Arsenal Mercenary tree. It's as simple as that, and no screenshot of one or two mercenary's doing "good" damage changes that. Those same players would simply be doing even MORE damage playing marksmanship sniper, so its a moot point.

A class or tree is not fine when the role it is supposed to serve (in this case, "glass canon") is completely overshadowed by another tree/class. Again, Arsenal Mercenary is completely overshadowed by marksmanship sniper. The fact that mercenary has been left in its current state so long is just embarrassing.
It really is embarrassing. It's almost as if BW has no idea how to fix the merc and the sad thing is it's really simple. Make mercs more mobile by what i have proposed above. If not, give us back the old tracer missile or buff our damaging abilities by at least 10-15% so that we can at least compete in WZs.

tehrealdealz
10.04.2012 , 06:44 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Technohic View Post
I posted this in the other thread about Merc DPS on arsenal tree; but this is also simple. I don't think it would go too far, maybe even not far enough, but it would be a start.
:

1. Reduce cast time on tracer missile slightly. Stationary target needing to fire this several times, just stuck in place too much. Shorter cast would at least give you the chance to move in between a little more often.

2. Proc Barrage a little before the end of the cast of tracer missile. As it is now, I am already started on the next TM many times when I hear the proc for barrage

3. Heat signature, power barrier and tracer lock currently seem to stack when the TM hits. Seems like an unnecessary delay when the proc on Pyro activates as soon as you activate unload and as soon as power shot fires. Either make it stack on instant of firing, or have tracer missile projectile move much faster.

Just some very slight things I think would go a long way. The problem with the class is it is sluggish and stationary and lacks utility. This would at least help you move through rotations faster and move on.
Also some good ideas here. Really hope BW is reading these threads.

DarthBloodloss
10.04.2012 , 07:11 PM | #16
I support improvements to Mercs. However, as a group we need to be more clear when making suggestions. All Bounty Hunters aren't Arsenal, or Pyro. All Bounty Hunters aren't even Mercs. So we should make it a point to specify Merc OR Pyro OR Arsenal (or BH in general).

I like the suggestions for allowing Tracer Missile to be cast on the move. However, we should fully think out this suggestion and expand it to Power Shot. They are basically the same attack and by saying only Tracer Missile, you are leaving out Merc Pyros (and even healers). This is not Arsenal vs Pryo, its Mercs vs the world.

Also to the Arsenal guys who hope that a mobile Tracer will make everything better, it wont. Sure it will help you die less in PvP, and put out slightly more damage in PvP. But its only part of the solution. The reason I say this is because Pyro Mercs already are very mobile. We open with a rotation that hits harder than 3 tracers and a heatseeker. So by Arsenal becoming more mobile, its only just catching up to Pyro. You will then have all the same problems Pyro currently has.

Mobile Tracer / Power Shot - a big needed change. This could make Pyro into a borderline viable spec. But for Arsenal, this helps but doesn't bring the spec anywhere near viable in PvP. Arsenal needs 3x more help than Pyro.
Bloodloss Mercenary
DESTROYER OF WORLDS || KEEPER OF SOULS

Henu
10.04.2012 , 08:45 PM | #17
I think its time we stop these Merc threads, BioWare dont listen anymore, hell they hardly even read the forums anymore. They wont change anything for another 6 months plus, and thats if the game last that long.
They have no clue what needs fixing in this game and they have done a **** job from the start. They cant patch or update for **** also.
Kripty / Snips

tehrealdealz
10.04.2012 , 09:07 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthBloodloss View Post
I support improvements to Mercs. However, as a group we need to be more clear when making suggestions. All Bounty Hunters aren't Arsenal, or Pyro. All Bounty Hunters aren't even Mercs. So we should make it a point to specify Merc OR Pyro OR Arsenal (or BH in general).

I like the suggestions for allowing Tracer Missile to be cast on the move. However, we should fully think out this suggestion and expand it to Power Shot. They are basically the same attack and by saying only Tracer Missile, you are leaving out Merc Pyros (and even healers). This is not Arsenal vs Pryo, its Mercs vs the world.

Also to the Arsenal guys who hope that a mobile Tracer will make everything better, it wont. Sure it will help you die less in PvP, and put out slightly more damage in PvP. But its only part of the solution. The reason I say this is because Pyro Mercs already are very mobile. We open with a rotation that hits harder than 3 tracers and a heatseeker. So by Arsenal becoming more mobile, its only just catching up to Pyro. You will then have all the same problems Pyro currently has.

Mobile Tracer / Power Shot - a big needed change. This could make Pyro into a borderline viable spec. But for Arsenal, this helps but doesn't bring the spec anywhere near viable in PvP. Arsenal needs 3x more help than Pyro.
I'm pretty sure everyone knows by now that when you talk about merc dps needing help we're mostly talking about the Arsenal tree. The Arsenal tree is the official tree for merc dps bounty hunters if you think about it and it is the tree that needs the most attention. Pyrotech is fine where it's at although it doesnt have the same pop as the PT version, but still gets the job done. Arsenal on the other hand despite what everyone says, is NOT viable in a pvp environment unless the other team is completely brain dead. Don't get me wrong I know there are players that can make the spec work i'm not denying that, but in the hands of the average pvper it's a downright nightmare to make it work against a team of hungry marauders/juggs.

And yes I agree that they should make power shot also castable while moving so as to not leave out those players who really enjoy Pyrotech. I have been playing my Merc since Day 1 and really really enjoy playing him when i'm doing my PVE dailies. It's such a unique and fun class, but I dread doing my pvp daily/weeklys on him because of how infuriating it can be against a decent team.

Bottom line though. Making tracer missile/power shot castable while moving will definatly solve a mercs dps mobility issues and will definatly be a step in the right direction. Will it bring us in line with the rest of the classes? Nope. The merc will still be light years behind marauders/juggs/shadows but at least we'll be somewhat viable in a pvp zone.

cashogy
10.04.2012 , 10:55 PM | #19
dont know why you bother posting. we've been saying these same things for months now, and the devs continue to ignore our feedback/suggestions, and continue to nerf Merc.

the horse is dead. feel free to continue beating it if you wish

thorsbrand
10.05.2012 , 04:13 AM | #20
simple talent tree changes could fix a lot of problems - at least in my opinion.

add a talent or just even change sticky grenade to -> slows taget for 50% 4 - 5 sec after explosion; on demand slow with 15 sec cd

in addition change cover fire to something like -> 5 sec after using a full auto, charakter is imune to interrupts; would also fix brainless gravround spamming

at last, change adrenaline rush to something like -> regain 50% (up from 15%) of health over 5 sec (down from 10) on 2min cd

problems fixed and, at least in my opinion, no gamebreaking changes to merc / commando class