Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is holding back SWTOR the most?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion

anstalt
10.04.2012 , 04:53 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by simplius View Post
i agree on most part , but themepark is the foundation of any big mmo
that is where u "hook" the player, and that is what wow did right, they had the biggest and fluffiest park
so when players got tired of endgame, they could roll an alt and really play a whole new world
any MMO dev have failed to realize that since then,,we all know the results
Themepark isn't the reason for modern MMO successes, its accessibility.

Older sandbox games were simply too complicated for the average gamer. Hell, my first month in SWG was a nightmare! Dumped on a planet with no weapons, no tutorial and no clue! Its was dire! Luckily, I had a friend to teach me and so I stuck with it, learned the game and it has been my favourite mmo to date.

Simply being a themepark is not enough to hook players. The best MMO (yet to be built) will have a combination of sandbox and themepark elements. Themepark elements are the best way to guide people through a game, for example classes, levels and linear questing. Sandbox elements are the best way to keep people playing long term, for example player cities, player made pvp wars, strong crafter-based economy, dynamic quests, random high level gear drops, dynamic / random open world raids etc.

A good example of this in the single-player world is the Elder Scrolls Series. These games include the best bits of themepark design (linear quest lines and dungeons) with the best bits of sandbox design (open world exploration, complete character freedom, strong crafting, choice of quests). As a consequence, the Eldar Scrolls are some of the most popular RPG games ever made.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

Otti_Opao
10.04.2012 , 05:04 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
Themepark isn't the reason for modern MMO successes, its accessibility.

Older sandbox games were simply too complicated for the average gamer. Hell, my first month in SWG was a nightmare! Dumped on a planet with no weapons, no tutorial and no clue! Its was dire! Luckily, I had a friend to teach me and so I stuck with it, learned the game and it has been my favourite mmo to date.

Simply being a themepark is not enough to hook players. The best MMO (yet to be built) will have a combination of sandbox and themepark elements. Themepark elements are the best way to guide people through a game, for example classes, levels and linear questing. Sandbox elements are the best way to keep people playing long term, for example player cities, player made pvp wars, strong crafter-based economy, dynamic quests, random high level gear drops, dynamic / random open world raids etc.

A good example of this in the single-player world is the Elder Scrolls Series. These games include the best bits of themepark design (linear quest lines and dungeons) with the best bits of sandbox design (open world exploration, complete character freedom, strong crafting, choice of quests). As a consequence, the Eldar Scrolls are some of the most popular RPG games ever made.
I agree 100% with the bold text here, I to played SWG and was very confused when I first landed, the community that was there when I started pre cu, was so helpful someone showed me the ropes, this game does not confuse you which is great but some of the sandbox elements would keep people amused while new content was made.

I have to say though one of the biggest things I find is actually not to do with the game, when things go wrong the silence from Bioware employees is so frustrating. How many people left who had no actual complaints regarding the game but couldn't for example log in or play due to poor patches? More responses from customer services that are not cut and paste so you actually feel like someone has read your text would go a long way to alleviating the hate on these boards.

spectreclees
10.04.2012 , 05:11 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelleth View Post
The same thing happened to WoW back in the day, everything can be turned around, it is just difficult to compete with a game(WoW) that has been around for this many years which has a lot of content in it.
When SWTOR get more Flashpoints, raids and warzones, quest areas, and a proper achievment system, I think the game will start moving forward again.
However, if EA does not put money into getting stuff like this done, I think the game will go Titanic.
No MMOS are competing with WoW anymore, it's in its declining stage. I honestly could care less for the comparisons anymore, WoW had its time. It hit its peak a few years ago and now it's slowly dropping down.

What's holding it back is innovation and proper funding.

Ifrica
10.04.2012 , 05:16 AM | #14
The thing holding back SWTOR the most is the pessimistic community that keeps on ranting on the forums driving new and old players away from the game.
Mirobi Snowdrifter - Sage \\ // Pulian Snowdrifter - Sorcerer
System : AMD Phenom II 955 - 16GB DDR3 (1600) - Radeon HD7950 - Samsung SSD

spectreclees
10.04.2012 , 05:19 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Ifrica View Post
The thing holding back SWTOR the most is the pessimistic community that keeps on ranting on the forums driving new and old players away from the game.
I like you.

HelinCarnate
10.04.2012 , 05:25 AM | #16
Total lack of testing. There is no test server that people can use unless there is a major patch. There is no way to move your characters to the test server. The issues that are discovered while testing are ignored and make it to live.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.

Costello
10.04.2012 , 05:27 AM | #17
The development time is holding TOR back a lot, this was mentioned pre-launch that the game seemed to be stuck in development with very little information or response from the devs. Even in interviews when asked directly how they spoke of keeping players interested the two options were roll alts or box the game and wait for an expansion.

Waiting for an expansion is fine but with the development time any new content that seems to be added is very minor and more about grinding out gear than anything else. As for rolling alts which were linked to the legacy it becomes apparant that 75% of the game is world quests and they get dull after a while. With only limited space and PvP warzones as alternate methods of advancement it not much of an option.

Hopefully the game will be saved but as it stands too little is being done and teaser trailers of HK and Cathar and new planets seem to speak of things that aren't even in production.

Jacen_Starsolo
10.04.2012 , 05:33 AM | #18
It's greatest claim to fame: Voice acting. It was a good idea but it seems that nobody at Bioware thought about pumping out new content and what would be required with the voice actors. Either they'd have to get them to read new lines (and some of them are not just voice people in TOR but actual movie/tv stars so got to work around other schedules) or they will have to edit through cut and paste existing dialogue already in the game.

I guess my sith inquisitor can say "Yawn" a few more times.

NRVNQSR
10.04.2012 , 05:35 AM | #19
with as much complaining about the theme park MMO style as I see, you'd think the sandbox MMOs hadn't all failed horribly or something.

Master-Nala
10.04.2012 , 05:38 AM | #20
Quote:
The idea that a MMORPG, any MMORPG, must entertain and keep subscribers paying for several years or it is a massive failure.

This is the critical error that EA (and many other MMORPG publishers) as well as many MMORPG players make. In the pre-WoW days, there was very little competition so you tended to get hooked and stay in a game. When WoW came along it was the best of its class at the time. So it hooked people. And it created an explosion in MMORPGs. Many of those green-lighted in 2004-2005 came to fruition at a time when WoW had its playerbase locked into to their expansion strategy.

SWTOR is not a bad game. The elements that everyone whines about are elements people whine about in every single MMORPG. Guild Wars 2's forums are right now blown up with cries of lack of endgame, bad PvP, and the plethora of complaints that get lodged at all new MMORPGs.

Once you are resolved that these games don't need to become a long-term love affair, you'll be much happier.