Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

Before we go way off the rails into body type & self-image IRL, maybe we'd better get back on topic. So I'll glom onto something here to pull us back on course:

Mako - does she look too young to you for a romance to seem appropriate? I have to say she never struck me as child-like. I'd never thought of it that way until I read that here just now.

My bounty Hunter is level 11 so my insight is limited. There are some indicators however. The way she bursts in tear at one moment in the beginning, the way she emphasizes that she's not a child. The way she stumbles over this, ready to get defensive, when you actually say "yes" when she asks to come along with you. What really seems uncomfortable to me is that "You should watch out a little more" when she heals anything - even if she heals herself after giving her a better mod and her endurance increases. That's perfectly alright for now, but if she keeps at it in act II+. it's gonna annoy me about on the same level as Tharan's "Did I mentioned I'm a pacifist?" (Yes, you did. Three zillion times.)

Edited by Rabenschwinge

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kira and Nadia are body type one (but not constrained regarding the face like a player character would. Kria's face is a lot more round than a character with body type 1 could possibly make it) and Temple and Kaliyo are body type 2.

Kira is Body Type 2 (though I had to check to be sure with my BT2 Sentinel), and Kaliyo is 1. Got the others right though.

Mako - does she look too young to you for a romance to seem appropriate? I have to say she never struck me as child-like. I'd never thought of it that way until I read that here just now.

Not quite "child-like", but certainly young. I'd hedge my bets on her being 16-18 at most (not counting the SPOILERS in her companion story). Her voice, appearance and demeanour (as well as the backstory she gives you) all give me the impression of a young but intellectually mature (if a little emotionally immature at times) woman.

"Did I mentioned I'm a pacifist?" (Yes, you did. Three zillion times.)

Step 1: Roll Sith Pureblood.

Step 2: Get Tharan.

Step 3: Use Racial Social ability.

Step 4: Endless amusement.

Edited by HellbirdIV

Not quite "child-like", but certainly young. I'd hedge my bets on her being 16-18 at most (not counting the SPOILERS in her companion story). Her voice, appearance and demeanour (as well as the backstory she gives you) all give me the impression of a young but intellectually mature (if a little emotionally immature at times) woman.

I don't remember the exactly quote because it's been a while, but I recall an npc in one of her quests saying that she hadn't been seen "in over 20 years". So she's at least that old. Unless you that's the spoiler that you're saying not counting....I supposed she could have been cloned at a later date but I don't think any of the companions are intended to be under 18 - Everyone thinks Temple seems childlike but she is 24 in her dossier.

Edited by chuixupu

I've never played a BH far enough to romance her (I keep meaning to, I really want to unlock Chiss), so I can't really say with much certainty, but I always thought she was meant to be more mousey than loli. Even if she is intended to be young I think it counts as "legal loli" since the story takes place over an indeterminate number of years and her lack of aging is just a limitation of the technology. That sort of thing bothers some people, but I tend to think of it as a "don't like, don't play" sort of things. /shrug

I've never played a BH far enough to romance her (I keep meaning to, I really want to unlock Chiss), so I can't really say with much certainty, but I always thought she was meant to be more mousey than loli.

Indeed. I did say she looks like a little girl, but that doesn't necessarily reflect her actual age (since, as I also mentioned, she is at least intellectually mature). I know quite a few people whose ages I've been mistaken about because they look significantly younger or older than they really were... or maybe that's just a sign of my own old age :(

What is the true Sith Racial ability?

It's called "Punish", and it makes you pimp-slap your current companion because... Well, because Sith don't need a reason to be abusive.

I made it a habit of using it on Khem Val every time he Disapproved of me making a decision just because it wasn't murderous-crazy. His sobbing is music to my ears.

Before we go way off the rails into body type & self-image IRL, maybe we'd better get back on topic. So I'll glom onto something here to pull us back on course:

Mako is Asian or whatever Star Wars lingo is for that ethnicity. Human races never seemed too important when there were numerous alien species about.

Point is she's supposed to be small. And she is pretty small. Body Type 1. It was my hobby for a bit to try and make "clones" of story characters, and I recall making a Mako. She uses Republic implants which I didn't have access to at the time. Also she wears no makeup. Ah here. Yes I added makeup. Sue me.:p

As for age its not really easy to determine her exact age, but its safe to say she's an adult. Maybe a bit on the emotionally immature and naive side (though at times she seems more mature than your BH), but still a full fledged grown up. Otherwise the current hetero only romance would have just felt...eww.

It's called "Punish", and it makes you pimp-slap your current companion because... Well, because Sith don't need a reason to be abusive.

I made it a habit of using it on Khem Val every time he Disapproved of me making a decision just because it wasn't murderous-crazy. His sobbing is music to my ears.

I do the same to Quinn, weaselly little git!

I must make a Pureblood character one day. I can see myself using it a lot on Vette. Perhaps I could reach 50 and make another agent, I'd REALLY like to use it on Kaliyo.

Not quite in that sense. Well, perhaps with Kaliyo. But yes, do excuse me, back to the topic in hand. I'm on the wrong side of the pond to be pestering at Comic Con, unfortunately.

In case some people aren't sure what we're talking about, I believe this is what Tatile means.

Yes, a lot of people (myself included) have asked if Bioware have any plans to visit their non-US players, but I highly suspect they won't. It's unfortunate, but I don't believe any US-based games company has gone to non-US conventions or meet-and-greets, and we know how much Bioware hates to break the mold on things.

Yes, a lot of people (myself included) have asked if Bioware have any plans to visit their non-US players, but I highly suspect they won't. It's unfortunate, but I don't believe any US-based games company has gone to non-US conventions or meet-and-greets, and we know how much Bioware hates to break the mold on things.

I get the sinking feeling that they'd avoid answering any questions on "our" subject anyway... But, to avoid sounding too pessimistic, I'll say that I like to think that they simply want to keep things under wraps to avoid yet another repeat of the "Gays in space!" hate they've gotten in the past...

I get the sinking feeling that they'd avoid answering any questions on "our" subject anyway... But, to avoid sounding too pessimistic, I'll say that I like to think that they simply want to keep things under wraps to avoid yet another repeat of the "Gays in space!" hate they've gotten in the past...

I don't think they're going to be answering ANY questions about ANY subject, ranging from PvP balancing having negative affects on PvE play (and vice versa) to the Super Secret Space Project to why all Jedi robes are brown, so not answering questions regarding SGRA's would be par for the course at their pub crawl and God knows they don't talk about SWTOR at their panels. So long as they don't address concerns about other parts of the game at all, I'm fine with them not answering questions about SGRA's, but as soon as they start discussing the game then they should approach SGRA's. It's not a PvP panel, you don't have to concentrate on PvP, but if you're answering general questions... yeah.

The more I think about it, a couple of new characters would be really nice instead of new romances for the old character. Let Kira remain my friend; that's fine with me, let Nadia remain my padawan and pupil. I know an entirely new character is an insane amount of work as compared to "upgrading" an existing one, but, even putting the demand for same gender romances aside, per the companions available and the density of their story and personality (with few exception when a character is tied to the class story) is not overwhelming.

And I would seriously suggest to not make those new companions restricted to a single one class, because that means a hell of a lot development time with relatively little yield. Also that would mean if new companions were introduced, you could have some male gay, some female gay and some straight and everybody would be happy. If you made the same "per class" that would consume years to develop.

PS: Starbuck to all Vipers - do not fire... repeat, do not fire! I am a friendly, okay? We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

I'll bet that they're not going to add more companions: as you said, too much efforts just to make happy what (I think, and I repeat, I think) they consider a bunch of whiners. We'll be lucky to get Sgr options at all IMO.

Companions are an integral part of any Bioware game. It is not unusual for Bioware to add companions retroactively to any game, and since this is a game that costs mostly fees (yet), I don't find it so unlikely. A typical Bioware shot in the knee was of course the 0-day add on for Mass Effect 3, containing one character which was important to the player's view on the storyline. Since I bought a steel book special version for 80€ it was part of my game, but it was still not ideal that you had to think of manually update the game. It took me hours to get Mass Effect 3 installed and updated with all add-ons. That's not what I buy a steel book edition for.

I don't know what's going on Bioware, but I suppose they make their decesions based on economic projections. A 'whiner' is not just a 'whiner' but an unhappy customer - or at least a customer that could be more happy with their product. The question is, whether it is worth making a particular group of customers happy, because it's obviously impossible to give everyone what they want with the limited resources they have. But consider that a new companion is a new companion to everyone. Whereas a new romance option that suits the sexuality of a minority affects only a relatively small group of customers.

New to Bioware is that the companions depend on your class choice. That is in part due to the fact that in a single player game you can only make one class choice, whereas in an MMOG all class choices are represented at all time and it's of vital importance to keep the experience of different classes different. Still I think in this regard Bioware has to go back at least a bit to the roots. Yes, it is a lot of work, because unlike Mass Effect, there isn't just male and female Shepard, the dialogues would have to be a lot more different based on the classes.

They won't add more companions for that singular purpose, but I am pretty certain that eventually they will add more companions. The audience - and not just those interested in same gender romance story arcs - simply expects it.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

And I would seriously suggest to not make those new companions restricted to a single one class, because that means a hell of a lot development time with relatively little yield. Also that would mean if new companions were introduced, you could have some male gay, some female gay and some straight and everybody would be happy. If you made the same "per class" that would consume years to develop.

I guarantee not everyone would be happy with that.

I guarantee not everyone would be happy with that.

Yeah, you could alter the game so that you occasionally get candy straight out of your CD drive when you deliver Daily quests, and some people would still complain it's the wrong brand of chocolate. That's just how online gamers are :p

In the whole "New vs. Existing" debate as far as enabling SGRs, it would be easier and more cost effective to bring in the Character, NPC, and Companion VAs and record new dialogue than it would for them to create all new characters, bring in new VAs, and write all new SGR storylines. Also, I don't think anyone here wants to wait til level 50+ for their SGRs to appear. That would make no sense whatsoever, from a storyline standpoint.

I am assuming the vast majority of gamers is neither intersted in same gender romances, nor has a problem with their existance... Of course I have no hard evidence for this.

No, I mean, the people who want these romances wouldn't necessarily be happy with that.

Just off the top of my head:

1) "New characters" means we'd probably have to wait for an expansion...which could be years.

2) "New characters" also means you'd have to wait for lvl 50....or lvl 55 or whatever the cap would be when this expansion comes out.

3) Having the new characters shared amongst all classes is something I've seen people in this thread frown at. I believe it's seen as unfair considering each class has it's own OGRA for both genders currently (and some have multiple options).

4) When you limit the characters to 'gay, straight only' there will be players unhappy that they can't romance character X with their toon b/c of arbitrary gender restrictions...this would include people who do OGRA if they would ever make gay-only characters.

Hey, could everyone try to keep the other SGR thread over in general discussion going? I think one of the better tactics we can use to try to get an answer out of BW is to keep the mods swamped trying to keep that troll bait clean. :D

Remember, don't engage the trolls and haters, just flag and ignore. ;) ;) /nudge /nudge

No, I mean, the people who want these romances wouldn't necessarily be happy with that.

Just off the top of my head:

1) "New characters" means we'd probably have to wait for an expansion...which could be years.

2) "New characters" also means you'd have to wait for lvl 50....or lvl 55 or whatever the cap would be when this expansion comes out.

3) Having the new characters shared amongst all classes is something I've seen people in this thread frown at. I believe it's seen as unfair considering each class has it's own OGRA for both genders currently (and some have multiple options).

4) When you limit the characters to 'gay, straight only' there will be players unhappy that they can't romance character X with their toon b/c of arbitrary gender restrictions...this would include people who do OGRA if they would ever make gay-only characters.

reagarding 1) Well, that's just the way it is...

2) Not necessarily. A new character can be introduced at all kinds of points. New characters in Mass Effect don't require you to be particularly powerful either... They are usually introduced at a point early in the storyline.

3) That characters are shared between class is the norm in Bioware games. SW:TOR is an exception.

4) That's no different than in other Bioware games. Leliana is a romance option to both men and women, Morrigan isn't. It's one thing to make same gender romances at all, it's another to make it so that the gender doesn't matter at all to all companions anymore. If here are new options for straight players as well, there is no reason to complain about gay options. If only gay options were added, that would cause trouble, even if the same characters are already straight options.

I consider it a given that eventually new companions will be added, though I have no idea in what shape and way of course. It wouldn't be a bad thing if some of them were liked their own gender.

Edited by Rabenschwinge

Companions are an integral part of any Bioware game. It is not unusual for Bioware to add companions retroactively to any game, and since this is a game that costs mostly fees (yet), I don't find it so unlikely. A typical Bioware shot in the knee was of course the 0-day add on for Mass Effect 3, containing one character which was important to the player's view on the storyline. Since I bought a steel book special version for 80€ it was part of my game, but it was still not ideal that you had to think of manually update the game. It took me hours to get Mass Effect 3 installed and updated with all add-ons. That's not what I buy a steel book edition for.

I don't know what's going on Bioware, but I suppose they make their decesions based on economic projections. A 'whiner' is not just a 'whiner' but an unhappy customer - or at least a customer that could be more happy with their product. The question is, whether it is worth making a particular group of customers happy, because it's obviously impossible to give everyone what they want with the limited resources they have. But consider that a new companion is a new companion to everyone. Whereas a new romance option that suits the sexuality of a minority affects only a relatively small group of customers.

New to Bioware is that the companions depend on your class choice. That is in part due to the fact that in a single player game you can only make one class choice, whereas in an MMOG all class choices are represented at all time and it's of vital importance to keep the experience of different classes different. Still I think in this regard Bioware has to go back at least a bit to the roots. Yes, it is a lot of work, because unlike Mass Effect, there isn't just male and female Shepard, the dialogues would have to be a lot more different based on the classes.

They won't add more companions for that singular purpose, but I am pretty certain that eventually they will add more companions. The audience - and not just those interested in same gender romance story arcs - simply expects it.

It's a good point, but i don't think its apply to SWTOR situation: From Ashes was material stripped from the original game to put it in ad-hoc DLC day one (and i will stop here to not derail the topic), and we don't have any clues about SGR companions ready to go and put in a box to wait the next expansion as SGR options (or at least, I don't know anything about that); also i think it will be a lot more difficult and time consuming to create a character ex-novo, with a new voice actor, a new personality and story, integrate he/she inside the game (with, for example, affection gains from convos), and etc than making viable the existing ones. I'm not saying i wouldn't like the idea of entirely new companions available (sgr or not sgr options), but i think that's a very remote possibility. Sadly. :S