Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Whos the bad guys?

Fyurii
09.29.2012 , 10:03 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
1. Way to miss the intentional homage Lucas and Spielberg were making to adventure-serials of the 30's and the sci-fi-serials of the 50's.
Star Wars was the Sci-Fi homage to the sci-fi serials - Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.
Indiana Jones homage to the adventure serials.

Indiana Jones dealt with matters more grounded in the "real" world with religious and supernatural thrown in the mix.
No extra-terrestrial or extra-dimensional beings, no sci-fi.

Quote:
2. How come completley unrealistic aliens are somehow worse for Indiana Jones than the completley unrealistic fake religious stuff?
Because they took already existing religious and mythological matters from the real world as inspiration for the Indie films, and kept it mostly grounded in the real world. The fantastical stuff only comes into play with the actual relics themselves - The Ark of the covenant burning the nazi swastika on the crate it was inside of, (a prelude to the climax of the movie) and the opening of the Ark itself.

I had no problem with anything else in Crystal Skull except for bloody aliens from another dimension, and the crystal skulls being alien heads!

Quote:
3. Why does no-one hate the fact Indiana Jones fights Commies instead of Nazis? Because that actually made sense given the time period and setting?
Bingo
Quote:
Exactly like the ancient astronaut aliens do?!
Exactly like they don't. They don't fit with an Indiana Jones movie.
They even went as far as changing the look of the crystal skulls to alien skulls, instead of human skulls, just so they could be extra-dimensional aliens.

Quote:
I like Indy 4 but understand why some people might not like it, but seriously, have a legitimate reason for your opinion other than "It's different therefore it sucks".
It's not that it's different, it's that Lucas was allowed to go too far.
Again, turning the crystal skulls into alien skulls and these aliens being from another dimension. Too much sci-fi in an Indiana Jones movie, instead of mythological and/or supernatural.
It would be like if the remake of Clash of The Titans had the gods of Olympus being originally humans who were elevated to god-hood by "mystical beings that landed on their world in a strange metallic boat", and the Titans being lab experiments gone wrong. Pulling sci-fi out of the writer's backsides just to "jazz things up".

Hell, using Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis for the movie would have been better. Swap out the Nazis for Soviets and there you go!
Better yet, Indiana Jones and The Infernal Machine - Already has the Soviets in it!
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

HellbirdIV
09.29.2012 , 12:31 PM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post
Star Wars was the Sci-Fi homage to the sci-fi serials - Flash Gordon and Buck Rogers.
Indiana Jones homage to the adventure serials.

Indiana Jones dealt with matters more grounded in the "real" world with religious and supernatural thrown in the mix.
No extra-terrestrial or extra-dimensional beings, no sci-fi.
No, the original 3 Indiana Jones were a homage to adventure serials, and Indy 4 was an intentional homage to sci-fi serials from the 50's - because it takes place in the 50's. That's why there are Commies and aliens in it. Like I said, way to miss the point they were making.

errant_knight
10.01.2012 , 05:54 PM | #93
The Sith code doesn't have to be interpreted as it it and the emotions that power them don't have to be destructive. That being said, even my sith think that much of what the empire does is evil, and while they don't know everything the knights do, think that the galaxy might be better off without the emperor.

Still, there's good and bad on both sides. The republic commits atrocities, they just feel bad about it. Crime is rampant, society is fragmented, and it's rife with internal rebellions which kill thousands, or so it seems. The empire is virtually free of those things (except atrocities), but at the cost of freedom. While many in the empire seem irredeemably bad, the republic seem like hypocrites,and the jedi try to live up to a standard that's doomed to failure since it goes so utterly against human nature

It seems to me that there must be some middle ground between the two that's both more right and more honest.

OldVengeance
10.01.2012 , 06:03 PM | #94
I really don't think it's fair to say crime is rampant and their are constant internal rebellions. General Garza mentions that most of Coruscant is safe and it's only the handful of sectors you visit that are problems. In fact if anything, I think the Empire has more (but usually smaller ones) because they often subjugate worlds. They also have slave rebellions So much so that there are branches of the Sith and Imperial military specifically dedicated to putting them down.

errant_knight
10.01.2012 , 07:09 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I really don't think it's fair to say crime is rampant and their are constant internal rebellions. General Garza mentions that most of Coruscant is safe and it's only the handful of sectors you visit that are problems. In fact if anything, I think the Empire has more (but usually smaller ones) because they often subjugate worlds. They also have slave rebellions So much so that there are branches of the Sith and Imperial military specifically dedicated to putting them down.
The rebellions are actually stated by a SIS agent in the knight storyline, and we see Ord Mantell. All you have to do is compare the two stations, Corruscant and Dromund Kaas to see the crime aspect. I don't think that's a reach. As far as I remember, we only have one slave rebellion, instigated purposely by a sith. Hmm...better refresh my memory about there being a specific branch of the military? I don't recall that.

Alliesforall
10.02.2012 , 06:10 PM | #96
It's all relative. Alot of imperials hate the republic because of the atrocities it committed against them. Check the holorecords. The biggest reason the empire returned was because it was brutally wronged by the republic in the first place.

Granted the government is full of backstabbing, aggressive maniacs, but most of the citizens seem content regardless. Both sides have their rebellions, but from what I've seen most of the republics came from before the war, from people who weren't happy with the government that had been ruling them, while the Empire's rebellion are mostly groups of people who aren't crazy about the change without even giving it a chance.
Bounty Hunter Creed:NO Bounty is Worth Dying For;People Don't Have Bounties, Only Aquisitions Have Bounties:Capture By Design, Kill By Necessity;No Hunter Shall Interfere with Anothers Hunt;In the Hunt One Capture or Kills, Never Both.

AhsokaTanorules
10.02.2012 , 07:16 PM | #97
Commit an infraction in the Empire and you die. Commit an infraction in the Republic you get a slap on the wrist. It is like comparing the US to Nazi Germany.

Vincit
10.03.2012 , 11:37 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by AhsokaTanorules View Post
Commit an infraction in the Empire and you die. Commit an infraction in the Republic you get a slap on the wrist. It is like comparing the US to Nazi Germany.
Or you could get sent to a secret prison planet and put in stasis for decades because you were a political dissident who hadn't even broken any laws...

Khevar
10.03.2012 , 01:52 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyurii View Post

It would be like if the remake of Clash of The Titans had the gods of Olympus being originally humans who were elevated to god-hood by "mystical beings that landed on their world in a strange metallic boat", and the Titans being lab experiments gone wrong.

Sorry to hijack, but have you ever read Lord of Light? I couldn't help but think of that when you made that analogy. A bunch of colonists with advanced technology re-create old Earth religions on a new planet.

AhsokaTanorules
10.03.2012 , 11:45 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by Vincit View Post
Or you could get sent to a secret prison planet and put in stasis for decades because you were a political dissident who hadn't even broken any laws...
Still got a shot at life.