Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Force Ghost Option


Logan-won's Avatar


Logan-won
10.03.2012 , 07:15 PM | #1
I'm not the type of person to enter something into a suggestion box, as I'm aware that my thread will likely go unread, and if if read will never happen, but this idea hit me today and I think a lot of people would like it, and...ya never know. Sure, it'd be a ways off from implementing but BIOWARE could put it in the "crazy ideas that we'd like to do down the road box."

Here's my idea:

At a certain alignment value (i.e. Light Side: 1000; or Dark Side 200), depending where the game has developed to, players can choose to "become one with the Force" and become a Force Ghost.
Here are some possible details:
--This would inherently change your class into one whose sole function would be to buff and debuff.
--Force Ghosts cannot be defeated, nor can they enter combat in order to attack. They only buff group members and debuff enemies.
--There would be no more need to obtain gear, but perhaps there could be certain levels of "buff/debuff" abilities along an all new trajectory of development. Or perhaps just be static and buffs could be based on percentages or scale to group sizes.
--Force Ghosts would be "tethered" to particular locations. Maybe even to a destroyed planet formerly inhabited by many Jedi (Dantooine or something). They could leave their tethered location only to join groups and be then be tethered to the group leader (instance included) by a range of 15 meters or something. This way, there wouldn't be a fleet full of force ghosts ruining the immersion factor.
--The Reward System would have to be tweaked in order to incorporate the Force Ghost role.
--Only force-sensitive classes could become Force Ghosts, as doing so requires learning the mysteries of the Force.
--A cool quest-line, working with some Master, Vrook or Exar Kun for example, where you choose to "die" in order to become one with the force (Jedi) or suck the life force from others (Sith) would commence the Force Ghost process.

One can imagine running an Operation with one character and seven Force Ghosts guiding him.
I bet a lot of people would choose to do this. It would also give a sense of "completion" to a particular character that is so often lacking in MMO's. I know companies would like us never to feel that, so we keep playing our toons and giving them money...but the role would still be social in character, be difficult to obtain, could possibily still contain a progression dynamic, and would be unique and very cool. This would be very unique and BIOWARISH
Imagine the implications for World Events...

Thoughts?
Bogen/Brodirek/Bogend/Bujindo
The Olórin Legacy

TRIUMPH High Council
REMNANTS OF THE JEDI

Listerman's Avatar


Listerman
10.03.2012 , 07:24 PM | #2
So...explain to me why I would actively WANT to forfeit my ability to fight in combat, and potentially forfeit any future installations to my class story from expansions, just to be a ghost.
I'm not really seeing the charm.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

Logan-won's Avatar


Logan-won
10.03.2012 , 07:37 PM | #3
Well I'm just in the ideas phase here. The charm primarily lies in the Star Wars Lore, which obviously has its appeal to a wide audience. Though I am not a role-player, this would certainly appeal to that crowd. The development of "Force Ghost Class Stories" could also be an option. Remember also, multiple Advance Classes have the same class story. We're at the point where lots of folk have multiple max level toons. It's not as if you HAVE to miss your class story. Many players will have to experience it twice as it is (I personally will have to view the Knight and Smuggler stories twice). It's not as if you HAVE to miss the story.

Also, it's not as if you have a wouldn't have a role in groups, it would be just more passive. You couldn't "attack" or "be defeated" As it is, there's no real CC/BUFF/DEBUFF class per say as there is in other games where they are often necessary, as these roles are distributed rather evenly in SWTOR.
Bogen/Brodirek/Bogend/Bujindo
The Olórin Legacy

TRIUMPH High Council
REMNANTS OF THE JEDI

Listerman's Avatar


Listerman
10.03.2012 , 08:23 PM | #4
Not sold.
Who in their right mind would give quests to a ghost? Besides, what kind of Force Ghost just lingers? You're just banking on the whole "wouldn't it be cool to be Shiny Obi-Wan" theory.
"Never touch a Kel Dor's sammich."
"We're on a message board together. I'm already inclined to think you're a schmuck."

ShupFace's Avatar


ShupFace
10.04.2012 , 03:30 AM | #5
Would the Sith Inquisitors be able to eat you??

Logan-won's Avatar


Logan-won
10.04.2012 , 08:19 AM | #6
LOL I dont know if they'd be able to "eat" you. But you could imagine some kind of fear or hate based debuff.
Bogen/Brodirek/Bogend/Bujindo
The Olórin Legacy

TRIUMPH High Council
REMNANTS OF THE JEDI

Logan-won's Avatar


Logan-won
10.04.2012 , 08:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Listerman View Post
Not sold.
Who in their right mind would give quests to a ghost? Besides, what kind of Force Ghost just lingers? You're just banking on the whole "wouldn't it be cool to be Shiny Obi-Wan" theory.
I honestly think a lot of people would do it. I know I casually pitched it to some of my guildies and they thought it was very cool. And like I posted earlier, it's sort of a "retirement" of a character. You gain a sense of completion, but also accomplishment. You're just so good that you've transcended time and space.
Bogen/Brodirek/Bogend/Bujindo
The Olórin Legacy

TRIUMPH High Council
REMNANTS OF THE JEDI

Eillack's Avatar


Eillack
10.04.2012 , 08:30 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Logan-won View Post
I'm not the type of person to enter something into a suggestion box, as I'm aware that my thread will likely go unread, and if if read will never happen, but this idea hit me today and I think a lot of people would like it, and...ya never know. Sure, it'd be a ways off from implementing but BIOWARE could put it in the "crazy ideas that we'd like to do down the road box."

Here's my idea:

At a certain alignment value (i.e. Light Side: 1000; or Dark Side 200), depending where the game has developed to, players can choose to "become one with the Force" and become a Force Ghost.
Here are some possible details:
--This would inherently change your class into one whose sole function would be to buff and debuff.
--Force Ghosts cannot be defeated, nor can they enter combat in order to attack. They only buff group members and debuff enemies.
--There would be no more need to obtain gear, but perhaps there could be certain levels of "buff/debuff" abilities along an all new trajectory of development. Or perhaps just be static and buffs could be based on percentages or scale to group sizes.
--Force Ghosts would be "tethered" to particular locations. Maybe even to a destroyed planet formerly inhabited by many Jedi (Dantooine or something). They could leave their tethered location only to join groups and be then be tethered to the group leader (instance included) by a range of 15 meters or something. This way, there wouldn't be a fleet full of force ghosts ruining the immersion factor.
--The Reward System would have to be tweaked in order to incorporate the Force Ghost role.
--Only force-sensitive classes could become Force Ghosts, as doing so requires learning the mysteries of the Force.
--A cool quest-line, working with some Master, Vrook or Exar Kun for example, where you choose to "die" in order to become one with the force (Jedi) or suck the life force from others (Sith) would commence the Force Ghost process.

One can imagine running an Operation with one character and seven Force Ghosts guiding him.
I bet a lot of people would choose to do this. It would also give a sense of "completion" to a particular character that is so often lacking in MMO's. I know companies would like us never to feel that, so we keep playing our toons and giving them money...but the role would still be social in character, be difficult to obtain, could possibily still contain a progression dynamic, and would be unique and very cool. This would be very unique and BIOWARISH
Imagine the implications for World Events...

Thoughts?
The red is what will never make this beyond a flawed idea. Take this out and just make this an advance-advance / Alpha Class idea.

Although the story I consider beyond non-canon, The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition, Obi-wan's force ghost is able to attack you wiht powerful force attacks, in Star Wars lore force ghosts of wraiths have been known to violently attack other beings, etc.

Your idea to take away gear and combat would be the death of TOR because it makes no sense. If anything this "Force Ghost" would the the ultimate healer or dps. The "retirement" aspect wouldn't be something to look forward to to be hoenst. It would make one feel like "wow I did all this work...and I can do jack **** with this character now but X and Y ....might as well stop playing on this one...."

I like the buff idea, but in general this class would be beyond OP in PvP most likely. IF TOR had a duel skill tree for PvE and PvP I'd be for this 100%, but for the moment, if you tweak this idea more realistically I'd be for it.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Logan-won's Avatar


Logan-won
10.04.2012 , 08:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
The red is what will never make this beyond a flawed idea. Take this out and just make this an advance-advance / Alpha Class idea.

Although the story I consider beyond non-canon, The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition, Obi-wan's force ghost is able to attack you wiht powerful force attacks, in Star Wars lore force ghosts of wraiths have been known to violently attack other beings, etc.

Your idea to take away gear and combat would be the death of TOR because it makes no sense. If anything this "Force Ghost" would the the ultimate healer or dps. The "retirement" aspect wouldn't be something to look forward to to be hoenst. It would make one feel like "wow I did all this work...and I can do jack **** with this character now but X and Y ....might as well stop playing on this one...."

I like the buff idea, but in general this class would be beyond OP in PvP most likely. IF TOR had a duel skill tree for PvE and PvP I'd be for this 100%, but for the moment, if you tweak this idea more realistically I'd be for it.
I guess I was thinking that if the group crashes, the group crashes, seperate from the Force Ghost, who is not engaged in combat per say, though he is a part of the group. He cannot be the last one standing against a Boss, he cannot complete objectives in PvP.

I think my idea is largely influenced by LOTRO where there classes whose primary role was buffing and debuffing. It's not as if the Force Ghost would just sit there. You can keep them very active by casting constantly, with buffs/debuffs with very short cooldowns.

So my thought would be that you would still be engaged in "combat" but a modified version.

I think your'e right about the gear/progression. It would be necessary to have some continued development. Again here I'm a bit influenced by LOTRO. You hit max level and development takes a whole new direction, you're no longer trying to level, but enhance a particular "legendary weapon." True, you also still get gear. I'm just thinking of the process dynamic. So in the case of the Froce Ghost, you may not go after a "chestpiece" but learn a deeper "mystery of the Force" to improve your debuff or something like that.

Thanks for the suggestion and being open to the idea!
Bogen/Brodirek/Bogend/Bujindo
The Olórin Legacy

TRIUMPH High Council
REMNANTS OF THE JEDI

Logan-won's Avatar


Logan-won
10.04.2012 , 08:44 AM | #10
Perhaps also you could offer some individuality with Force Ghost skill trees by offering different types of buffs/debuffs. One tree would benefit ranged more, another Force-users, or even seperate it into buff vs. debuff trees. That way some variability would be present with multiple Force Ghosts.
Bogen/Brodirek/Bogend/Bujindo
The Olórin Legacy

TRIUMPH High Council
REMNANTS OF THE JEDI