Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Simple solution for fixing dps Mercs/Commandos

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Simple solution for fixing dps Mercs/Commandos

tehrealdealz
10.03.2012 , 06:49 PM | #1
I think right now the problem with dps mercs and commandos is that they have to stay still in order to do any kind of decent damage. (talking about the arsenal/gunnery trees) In PVE that might be fine but in PVP if you stand still for too long your going to draw attention from hungry marauders/juggs, especially if your a dps merc (yes youre an easy kill). So what I think BW should do is make it so that tracer missile/grav round can be casted while moving. That will fix the issue of mercs/commandos being nothing more than turrets in wZs.

Also another thing is mercs/commandos need an ability like "Hold The Line" which will make the merc immune to all movement impairing effects for 8 secs AND give them a 30% speed boost. Those two changes right there will solve the problems dps mercs are having in WZs.

cycao
10.03.2012 , 06:55 PM | #2
I could only see that working if they put a cooldown on it.

Darth_Acherus
10.03.2012 , 09:15 PM | #3
Honestly moving Energy shield down to tier 2 combat medic would make a world of difference.

Being able to pop the shield and be uninterrupted would go a long way.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

tehrealdealz
10.03.2012 , 09:21 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
I could only see that working if they put a cooldown on it.
hold the line does have a 30 sec cd. But yes tracer missile needs to be able to be cast while moving. Will that bring the merc ac in line with the other classes? probably not. mercs need a lot of help atm.

Darth_Acherus
10.03.2012 , 10:22 PM | #5
Yes, lets just ignore my brilliant idea.
Jung Ma - Nariell 50 Sentinel <Alpha Company>
Jung Ma - Alosa 50 Commando <Alpha Company> (Retired)

Volxen
10.04.2012 , 12:45 AM | #6
The underlying problem with DPS Mercenary/Commando is that it is completely overshadowed by Sniper/Gunslinger. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to play a DPS mercenary in this game. Snipers are glass canons, whereas mercenary’s are just glass.

I completely agree with the OP's suggested changes. If arsenal mercenary’s are given mobility, then the tree would (finally) serve a purpose and not be completely overshadowed by the marksmanship sniper tree.

LeonHawkeye
10.04.2012 , 02:54 AM | #7
Great suggestions in this thread. Any one or two would make the specs Viable and an actual threat for end game, ranked/competitive PvP play. We definitely need one or two of the following:

-Protection against interrupts.

-Greater mobility

-Higher Survivability

-1 more VIABLE, reliable, and on demand escape mechanism and or snare. As Gunnery our only snare comes from a channeled ability, rooting us in the process, this is counter productive, it should either root for 1-2 seconds or be cast able while moving. As Assault we have an unreliable and absurdly awkward 30% speed reduction snare, sweltering heat not only is not usable on demand with a proc chance of 16%(talented) BUT proves to now be insignificant due to being reduced to 30% reduced slow speed. I understand the nerf overall, as it was justified for Vanguards/Powertechs but it unfortunately was essential for Commando/Mercenary survivability, even at 50% it proved to be a gamble due to it's unpredictably and lack of on demand usage.

-Further emphasizing our mobility problems, we either need a backwards jet pack leap, speed boost or if you intend to make Heavy Armor actually mean something and intend to make us the tank caster, which seems to be the case, increase our survivability/armor/health pools. Seems like we sacrifice an abundant amount of utility for something (heavy armor) which frankly is no where near worth it's cost.

tehrealdealz
10.04.2012 , 08:39 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Volxen View Post
The underlying problem with DPS Mercenary/Commando is that it is completely overshadowed by Sniper/Gunslinger. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to play a DPS mercenary in this game. Snipers are glass canons, whereas mercenary’s are just glass.

I completely agree with the OP's suggested changes. If arsenal mercenary’s are given mobility, then the tree would (finally) serve a purpose and not be completely overshadowed by the marksmanship sniper tree.
Very well put. That is why you hardly see a dps merc in a WZ nowadays. Yes, i'm sure someone will come in here and post a link about how dps mercs are fine because 1 merc out of a 1000 is awesome and pulls 500k dps a wz and that everyone else needs to learn to play. Stop fooling yourselves. Mercs need a lot of help atm and I can say this for certain that the Merc AC is light years behind other ACs as far as being PVP viable. (speaking again about the Arsenal tree btw, which is the only tree that matters.)

I know when this game first came out, everyone was crying about how mercs primary ability (tracer missile) was doing so much damage and was considered OP. Here's the thing. That ability right there was the only reason mercs were pvp viable because we really had nothing else and Heatseeker Missile was still broken at the time and was hardly worth using. But what did BW do? They nerfed Tracer Missile to the ground and made mercs useless in the process.

So here is what I propose to BW.

1.) Make tracer missile castable while moving. (That right there will literally solve a majority of the mercs problems)
2.) Give mercs some kind of interrupt immunity like the vanguards "Pulse Generator" talent.
3.) GIve mercs some kind of snare immunity/speed buff like the Vanguards "Hold the Line"

Jherad
10.04.2012 , 09:27 AM | #9
Good grief NO to making tracer/grav castable while moving.

People still complain today about TM/Grav spamming, even when we use a full rotation including many other abilities - if castable while moving it'll be all a lot of people EVER use.

Instead give us the tools to cast without interruption whilst stationary. I'd like to see Full auto uninterruptable, and more defensive abilities for a start.
WFW - Waiting For Wildstar
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

vimm
10.04.2012 , 09:44 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
hold the line does have a 30 sec cd. But yes tracer missile needs to be able to be cast while moving. Will that bring the merc ac in line with the other classes? probably not. mercs need a lot of help atm.
No, you need a lot of help.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative