Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing Sage: 0% Alacrity?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Jedi Consular > Sage
Healing Sage: 0% Alacrity?

Krazy_Karl
10.03.2012 , 04:42 AM | #1
Am I the only one who has min/maxed my full Campaign gear such that I run with 0% Alacrity? Legitimate question (for PvE only)?

My reasoning is simple: the faster you cast, the less effect your native force regeneration has and the more "downtime" you will have. The class was never designed to be a "burst" healer, especially after they nerfed conveyance and our 1.5 second big heal (when Alacrity was actually useful).

I have tried many combinations with varying amounts of Alacrity replacing Surge (yes we all know the DR curve for Surge) and found that faster casts of Salvation and Healing Trance do not have any significant impact on healing in Operations. And if you're using either of the other two spells (Deliverance, Benevolence) with any frequency at all, you're doing it wrong.

It could just be a play style preference versus an actual tangible difference, but seeing Healing Trance tic for 2200+ 3-4 times in a row has been reinforcing my feeling that 80%+ Surge with 0% Alacrity is the way to go.

I have not seen any recent discussions regarding healing specifically for Sages and the impact of carrying Alacrity.

Regards,
KK
Try not. Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda

Toraak
10.03.2012 , 08:36 AM | #2
Personally I see Alacrity as a useful stat for sage healing, tho trying to find the right amount of it yet, because I see Deliverance as being a great spell for tank healing in combination of rejuv and healing trance. Salvation I use on healer/rdps mainly. (great for Noble Sacrifice for Force) From my understanding sages want there Alac somewhere around 8.9-9.3%, tho I can't seem to get it in that range myself. If i remove 1 Alac enhancement i go from 10.07% down to 8.7% which i'm reluctant to go that low on. I've alrdy hit my surge cap of 75% so it really is a minor difference.
Shadowbane Veteran
WoW Veteran

Krazy_Karl
10.03.2012 , 10:49 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Toraak View Post
Personally I see Alacrity as a useful stat for sage healing, tho trying to find the right amount of it yet, because I see Deliverance as being a great spell for tank healing in combination of rejuv and healing trance. Salvation I use on healer/rdps mainly. (great for Noble Sacrifice for Force) From my understanding sages want there Alac somewhere around 8.9-9.3%, tho I can't seem to get it in that range myself. If i remove 1 Alac enhancement i go from 10.07% down to 8.7% which i'm reluctant to go that low on. I've alrdy hit my surge cap of 75% so it really is a minor difference.
Saying "surge cap of 75%" is misleading because in my gear I have over 80% surge.

Regards,
KK

xZarquon
10.03.2012 , 11:07 AM | #4
Personally, I have quite a bit of alacrity (about the same as surge ~285 for ~9% cast time reduction). However, I don't doubt that healing with 0 alacrity is perfectly viable as you mention. What I wonder though, is what is your crit chance at? Unlike alacrity, in addition to suffering from DR, surge only benefits you when your heals crit (not saying you're not aware of this). If you're stacking crit above 40% to maximize this benefit you're losing out on power which will even the heals out, and if not, stacking surge loses its benefit. To compare, I think my innervate crits for around 2150 on NPCs and a bit over 2200 on myself.

You're right about alacrity reducing passive force regen, but at the same time, for sorcs, the passive regen is inferior to those of other classes which is why we are more more reliant on consumption.

Krazy_Karl
10.03.2012 , 12:06 PM | #5
My critical chance is ~42% stimmed for Operations. Not sure what it is unbuffed, but I run with over 2200 willpower.

Regards,
KK

Loquille
10.03.2012 , 12:34 PM | #6
Personally, when I was playing my Sorc as my healing in Operations before changing to an Operative, I always considered Alacrity nearly useless. Granted having to throw in a long cast heal on a tank in a pinch did benefit from it. I never got beyond BH/Rakata gear level since I switched, but I beleive the only Alacrity I had was on my BH Implants after moving mods around and if those didn't have 71 (I think) power then I wouldn't have bothered spending the comms on them.

The most significant increase I noticed from a single stat was when I augmented all my all my gear and put a +18 Power augment in each slot minus 1. Pretty much once you hit the sift cap for Crit and Surge, the Sage/Sorc healer only has 1 stat to improve at that point.

Aurojiin
10.03.2012 , 12:38 PM | #7
Stacking entirely Surge is absolutely, completely, undeniably a reduction of your potential HPS. If you're only doing encounters where the healing burden is far below your output anyway, that's fine, but in fights tuned tightly for your gear level you will heal less than someone with more balanced stats.

The virtue of a Sage's large resource pool is that we can afford to cast faster and burn our resource quicker.
Aisev -:- Seer Sage Si'ki -:- Darkness Assassin

itsmymillertime
10.03.2012 , 12:40 PM | #8
Not a healer, have talked to my guild healers and it all goes with preference.

1. You have alacrity so you heal (in the nick of time)
2. You have no alacrity (big sustained heal)

So if someone could test the long term healing numbers of a healer with both type, we would see which one healed the most over time. But then the real question is would you have prevented death with one style versus the other?

If I were to roll a healer, I would priortize Surge to 75 percent, then all power and whatever slots are let, more surge/power. I would not do crit as with 2200 willpower your almost hitting the soft cap on crit, so more power/surge would give me more sustained healing like the op plays.

Krazy_Karl
10.03.2012 , 12:48 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Stacking entirely Surge is absolutely, completely, undeniably a reduction of your potential HPS. If you're only doing encounters where the healing burden is far below your output anyway, that's fine, but in fights tuned tightly for your gear level you will heal less than someone with more balanced stats.

The virtue of a Sage's large resource pool is that we can afford to cast faster and burn our resource quicker.
Thank you for providing an opinion veiled as fact and nothing else.

And the circumstances for the discussion are around Operations and PvE content at the highest possible gear level (min/maxed). Sages are not designed to be burst healers, nor should they attempt to play as such, especially in the most difficult content.

And if HM TFB is what you consider tuned tightly for min/maxed Campaign, I have had no problems healing any of the content. I just wanted to have a discussion regarding preference, playstyle, and opinions on how Alacrity has influenced players ability to heal.

Regards,
KK

CitizenFry
10.03.2012 , 12:56 PM | #10
For an all itemlevel 61 geared character, you should have 570 points to divvy up among Accuracy, Alacrity, and Surge. Accuracy is obviously useless for a Sage. If you put 570 into surge, your surge value will be 80.11%. The first couple of blocks of 57 you move from Surge to Alacrity will give you almost 2% cast time reduction at the cost of only about 0.5% surge value. It does get steeper pretty quickly though, to where you're trading ~1.5% surge value for 1.5% cast time reduction when Surge = Alacrity and even worse when your alacrity is above your surge. At 570 Alacrity + 0 Surge, your cast time is reduced by 15.14% and your surge value is 51%.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay