Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Side Sith: Anti-Villain?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Light Side Sith: Anti-Villain?

Jumpingspider
03.01.2012 , 05:39 AM | #31
Hmm, well, I play a light side sith warrior and while at first he seemed like a hard but honorable man the things you do in later acts made me realize that he's pretty much as psychotic as the dark side sith. He just have limits and breaks on his psychotic tendencies.
Unless it's an act (which doesn't change all the death and destruction he commit).
I haven't finished the class story yet.
Passion and anger without control is inefficient chaos. Serenity and peace without emotions is barren.
Only by embracing both Dark and Light can I find balance and unlock the full power of the Force.

VincentWolf
03.01.2012 , 05:56 AM | #32
Yep. You said it all pretty well in your post. Anti-hero and anti-villain exactly what they are. In the end of the day it all comes down to same "good guy" and "bad guy" anyway though, guy achieving good things overall by doing bad things to, mostly, bad guys or just not acting like a "goodie goodie" is a bada.ss, while the guy who's achieving bad things by being somewhat kind is maybe even likeable but in the end still gonna be killed by a hero.

Jedikillar
09.23.2012 , 07:38 PM | #33
necroing an old thread because im really having trouble between deciding to level my lowbie sage, or my ls sorc whos almost 40 now. i awlways play the good guy. seriously. i tried making a ds character, i ended up with 900 ds points, and tons of ls points(which is more ds than any of my other chars tho). but i cant decide if my sorc is really the good guy or not. yes shes nice, and if she could defect to the jedi she would(im still hoping they might add this in at some point, even if its just in the story and not actually factionwise, similar to the
Spoiler
. after all, a former member of the dark council became a jedi you find out in the knight story on quesh). she hates sith about as much as my agent does. after all, she was their slave and forced to learn their ways and fight for them. but she still does end up fighting for them, and they are after all, sugar coat it all you want, overall, evil, even tho shes trying to make them not evil, she really knows its a lost cause.

it would be hands down the sage, but im lazy and dont want to do 20+ levels of the same ac over again, even with a different story, and so if i can find some way to justify playing a ls sith, then i would much prefer that. im thinking of rping sort of a sith who has studied the forbidden knowledge of the jedi(shes studied every other forbidden knowledge after all, why not that?), and decided that she believes the jedis philosiphies and the calm style of the lightside are more powerful. But thats just me and how i end up coming up with some reason for everything my chars do, rather than just choosing light or dark options.
There is no emotion, there is peace; Through peace, I gain strength; Through strength, I gain knowledge; Through knowledge, i gain power; Through power, I gain serenity; Through serenity, I gain victory; Through victory, I gain harmony; Through harmony, I find there are no chains, there is the force
Cry Havoc, and let loose the dogs of war!

happysister
09.24.2012 , 12:32 PM | #34
go for it. i have a LS sorc myself. she's usually nice, but gives lip to most/evil authority figures, as well as demeaning imps that talk trash about aliens, her being Twilek and all. half the time, she picks LS choices to "rebel" against the other sith and such. not to say she never picks DS, but she needs to be in the mood.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

grandmthethird
09.24.2012 , 12:42 PM | #35
the thread title is wrong, it should say :

"lightside sith, anti-sith"
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Ikod
09.24.2012 , 01:48 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Fhomar View Post
It's shades of gray. There is no complete black or white, good or bad. What you are doing is creating a multi-faceted character, and to me, that makes it far more interesting, and adds depth and interest to your game play.

I created a light-sided Sith. She is Level V light side, level 50, and far more interesting to me than if she'd been fully dark. Did she make dark choices along the way? Yes, but in the end, her light choices outweighed the dark, and she earned her Pure title, although she does not wear it.

I am going to create a Jedi and do the same thing, but in reverse, like your roommate. The Jedi struggle against their dark tendencies, so it makes sense for some of them to be anti-heroes, just as it makes sense for some Sith to be anti-villains and to see a different path for the future, however fruitless their hopes may be.

There are no Anti-Hero---Anti Villans, You are or you aren't. If you are not a Hero of the Sith Empire you are nothing you do not qualify and only quantify as a worm to be trod upon in order to improve upon the Empire. Or you are Republic trash and deserve only death

Ayslinn_Iduviel
09.25.2012 , 05:26 AM | #37
It's all about syntax and it's also a simple mathematic binary equation to definy what "that" character is.

First, define the 4 variables:

GOOD GOAL: Aiding the Republic (because whatever you can say, this represent democracy, freedom, equality etc even if it isn't perfect and also corrupted by who rule it), also protecting the weaks, the innocents, build a better galaxy for everyone (not only an elite, force users or not), and so on

EVIL GOAL: Aiding the Empire (because as it was said before, the Empire it's discriminatiory, tyrannical, make a mistake = your life it's forfeit without any judgement, too much power on few hands, and so on again), make innocent ppl and weaks suffer, further selfish interests, etc.

GOOD APPROACH (likewise LS allign.): beign nice, try to not sacrifice anybody if possibile, beign honourable, don't betray the trust of the others, help when you can, etc.

EVIL APPROACH (likewise DS allign.): beign rude and/or ruthless, betray the trust of the others, killing everybody that stands in your way, and ahead of that.

That said, there are also 4 different definitions based on this 4 variables:

GOOD GOAL + GOOD APPROACH = HERO (you are an Hero, you embody paragon's virtue, altruism, blablabla)
EVIL GOAL + EVIL APPROACH = VILLAIN (you're the VERY bad guy/girl, just the opposite of the Hero in every sense)
GOOD GOAL + EVIL APPROACH = Anti - HERO also VIGILANTE (you pursuit a good goal, you try to make things better but you're also ruthless and cruel against who oppose your objectives; i can't think than a better testimonial than The Punisher)
EVIL GOAL + GOOD APPROACH = for the commutative proprety, you're an Anti - VILLAIN, also ROGUE in some DC/Marvel comics (your aims are questionable, but you mantain honour and a code of conduct very stricly and someway merciful, "good", helpful against the weaks)

An example of this last kind of character can be

Spoiler

So, that's said, your character should be an Anti- Villain or at least, something beetwen the Rogue and the Villain itself.

desmozges
10.03.2012 , 02:57 AM | #38
As someone posted before, it is hard to see things here as good or bad in the contest of jedi or sith. Yes, we can all agree that Sith Empire is based on terror and oppression, but have you played trooper or smuggler? His story begins on Ord Mantell, under "Republic" control. I used quotation marks on purpose. Republic supposed to stand for the good and noble things. But do ANY quest there, they will want to charge you for breathing. And did you notice a little difference between Imp and Rep IF? There are no doors on shops on IF.

You are playing character who strongly believes in the soul believes of your own side, on the basic ideals which probably only exist in very few people, and you want to do whatever is necessary to see your ideals come true. You caught a criminal but your justice system is slow and corrupted. What can you do? Who you gonna call? Noone, just take your lighsaber and make a shish kebab out of him cause he is destroying the picture of your ideal republic. You fight corruption any way you can and know, with your lightsaber. I wouldn't say that because of that your dark side jedi is a bad character.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

errant_knight
10.03.2012 , 10:15 AM | #39
It really depends on your character. My warrior is my only 100% LS character and what he does, he does to keep the people of the empire safe and prevent genocide by the republic. He's a hero, not an anti-villain. Yes, he believes that the empire is better than the republic, a bulwark against inevitable chaos, decadence and hypocrisy that would be the result of Republic rule, although it's in dire need of change at the top which he has every intention of making happen. Thing is, that doesn't really matter in determining what kind of a character they are, just what they do and why. Whether it's a hopeless task has no bearing on the character's nature.

CelticMarauder
10.04.2012 , 02:43 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by errant_knight View Post
It really depends on your character. My warrior is my only 100% LS character and what he does, he does to keep the people of the empire safe and prevent genocide by the republic. He's a hero, not an anti-villain. Yes, he believes that the empire is better than the republic, a bulwark against inevitable chaos, decadence and hypocrisy that would be the result of Republic rule, although it's in dire need of change at the top which he has every intention of making happen. Thing is, that doesn't really matter in determining what kind of a character they are, just what they do and why. Whether it's a hopeless task has no bearing on the character's nature.
That almost reminds me of someone you encounter in Act 3 for the Trooper.
*Major Spoilers*
Spoiler
Target the Reavers. Target the Reavers. Target Everyone! SOMEBODY FIRE! - The Operative
Life's full of disappointments roly-poly. - Smuggler to a hutt.
We have intelligence that suggests that Hitler is plotting with the Legion of Doom to assassinate Jesus...using the lake as a base. - Lois Griffin