Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

People favoring Empire ideologically?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
People favoring Empire ideologically?

LeeC
10.03.2012 , 02:29 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
That is a great response, LeeC. I guess I had assumed that people include the Sith as part of the whole "Empire Package" but you're saying people can reasonably like the Empire but hate the Sith, correct? Also, if the empire is so strong and efficient, I don't see why they let the Sith push them around. Maybe I'm underestimating the power of the Sith here, but it seems like the Empire would benefit in efficiency (and overall) by parting ways with them. Teaming up with them seems like they're ideologically supporting the Sith (yeah, "enemy of my enemy is my friend" but still...)
The empire never "teamed up" with the sith. It just always belonged to them. They are the elite upper class with the power of the dark side of the force to back it up. The sith are manipulative and powerful enough to keep the population from revolution and keeping them loyal. After the great hyperspace war the survivors fled to dromund kaas and the sith, still in power, helped rebuild the empire from scratch. On dromund kaas if you pay attention to what some of the officers had to say, they seem like they want an efficient empire but the sith always seem to screw it up on a whim. Though displeased with what the sith can do they always take it in stride like the sith are the drunk uncle at a family reunion who embarrassed the family, but hey they are family and you're not going to abandon family. This has been going on for 3 thousand (arguably longer) years. The emperor, though absent publicly for us in game, has still been around since the reforging of the empire after the great hyperspace war. He is beloved by the people. It is like having an extremely popular king with squabbling or inept lords/ladies/barons/etc.

As for your comment on balmorra, this is not limited to the empire. All societies do that to try and one up and get promoted in one way shape or form. And being that those officers are part of the empire (and in the occupational force division of the military which probably doesnt advance careers as fast as the military on the front lines) I am sure the ways of the sith progressing in their own subculture probably has rubbed off on those officers who have witnessed first hand the effectiveness of subverting or competing with others for high positions. That isnt to say all imperials do this. Quite honestly, sith aside, I think this is the only time ive seen this happen in the imperial military, granted my imperial classes have onl;y made it as far as hoth. So I think this is more the exception to the rule. And one has to question the personal loyalties of the officers in question here as well. Those die hard loyalists may not be tempted to do such a thing.

As far as the players favoring their ideology: I strongly disagree. I think its probably more role playing on the player's character than actually accepting the imperial ideology. and as stated before the uniforms on the imperial side are so crisp and nice looking. They are just purty.

starwarsmarsian
10.03.2012 , 07:32 AM | #12
Well, almost 70 years ago, that German dictator made his ideology law, and what did the people in Germany do(no offense to German people, it's just how all humans are)? Protest? No, they just let it all happen because it wasn't a disadvantage to them. However, sometime later, there was an actress who went nude for a film, and then suddenly everyone said she was a shame to the German people.

What I want to say is that (Imperial) people don't care if others have to die as long they're alive and well themselves.

starwarsmarsian
10.04.2012 , 11:56 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by starwarsmarsian View Post
Well, almost 70 years ago, that German dictator made his ideology law, and what did the people in Germany do(no offense to German people, it's just how all humans are)? Protest? No, they just let it all happen because it wasn't a disadvantage to them. However, sometime later, there was an actress who went nude for a film, and then suddenly everyone said she was a shame to the German people.

What I want to say is that (Imperial) people don't care if others have to die as long they're alive and well themselves.
However, there were some people who disliked him (not necessarily for his ideology, also because eventually he started being less careful for civilian deaths, etc), but they didn't protest because they were not so dumb to start protesting to be eventually executed.

I can't believe every Imperial citizen agreed with the emperor that they HAD to take revenge at the Republic and the Jedi, there must have been some who just wanted to live in peace and leave the Republic for what it is, but if they would have started to protest, they would have all just been killed.

SNCommand
10.04.2012 , 02:59 PM | #14
I would support the Republic and fight the Empire if the conflict was real.

I support freedom not because I believe it might do right, in fact there exists lots of proof it doesn't, but because I think it's right in itself as a concept. Of course the Republic is not a democratic state, all planets and systems choose their own governing option, but that's a option the Empire wouldn't allow in the first place.

I play as a Empire character though because they always have the coolest toys.
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.