Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Imperial Intelligence (IA ending spoliers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore > Spoilers
Imperial Intelligence (IA ending spoliers)

Path-x
10.02.2012 , 10:47 AM | #1
Anyone else think the Sith disbanding the Imperial Intelligence is a dumb and lame story point? I mean that is like cutting your right hand off. Or like Stalin disbanding NKVD. It just ridiculous and makes no sense. Replacing its head people sounds reasonable but destroying the whole infrastructure which took years to build and which was vital tool of the Sith Empire is beyond stupid.
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Kaisernick
10.02.2012 , 10:52 AM | #2
yeah but it wasnt the sith, it was the star cabal acting through the sith

Path-x
10.02.2012 , 11:10 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaisernick View Post
yeah but it wasnt the sith, it was the star cabal acting through the sith
Star Cabal... Well that's a whole new level of ridiculousness. There is no way any organization like that could manipulate Sith and Jedi to this extent and so directly. So yea these are the two thing I hate about IA storyline.

chuixupu
10.02.2012 , 12:17 PM | #4
Of course they can, and they did. Don't you remember anything about the Star Cabal and how ancient of an organization they are?
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

errant_knight
10.02.2012 , 12:21 PM | #5
If you don't think the Star Cabal could have done that, you weren't paying attention to some major plot points.

Path-x
10.02.2012 , 12:57 PM | #6
No I am not missing anything. The thing as it is itself is ridiculous.

Narien
10.02.2012 , 03:12 PM | #7
The point you seem to be missing is that II, aside from being pretty much the only organization in centuries to pose a threat to the Cabal, also becomes an existential threat to the status quo within the Empire. Which means it has to go.

Dislike that all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that there are very good reasons for the Minister, Keeper, and all the rank and file being given their walking papers.

Bleeters
10.03.2012 , 05:22 AM | #8
Sith doing something entirely to the detriment of the Empire as a whole for no other reason than to expand their personal power isn't exactly a rarity. I'm only surprised it took backdoor manipulation by a third party for it to happen.

bright_ephemera
10.03.2012 , 08:20 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Bleeters View Post
Sith doing something entirely to the detriment of the Empire as a whole for no other reason than to expand their personal power isn't exactly a rarity. I'm only surprised it took backdoor manipulation by a third party for it to happen.
Ayup.

Some random guy with a Star Cabal nametag barely hidden in his jacket didn't walk up to the Dark Council and say "Hey, derp, let's get rid of Imperial Intelligence!" Throughout the class line both the Sith and the military (usually called out with the examples Darth Baras and General Rakton) are perpetually scrabbling to get more of Intelligence's resources - the dissolution of the department was not the first time their names came up. It's just background chatter as you pass in and out of cutscenes at HQ, but it's there. Imperial Intelligence was a ripe target exactly because it was a large, expensive, very useful tool that had been built up with considerable time and effort. Imperial leadership wanted it, all right, but individual players didn't necessarily want it in the public domain. It wouldn't take much to talk several major players into finally making a grab for individual control of it or as much of it as they could get.

Dissolving Imperial Intelligence was a stupid move for the Empire, but it was a logical (as much as any Sith action is logical) move for Darth Baras and the rest of the individual Sith egomaniacs, and if they needed convincing, well, the Star Cabal's agents could give a little push. It would get the massive, too-aggressive headache that is Imperial Intelligence off the Cabal's case.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Path-x
10.03.2012 , 03:39 PM | #10
Well I think the Star Cabal power is ridiculously over-exaggerated and goes far beyond my tolerance threshold. Okay they could somehow manipulate a few mid-ranked egocentric Sith, but the whole Dark Council on something like this? Be serious. Actually something like disbanding of Imperial Intelligence would never go pass Emperor himself, so in the end this concept fails one way or another. Not to mention them manipulating the Jedi order. That is even more ridiculous. There is just no way I will accept something like this.

On the other hand it is basically just a ridiculous rehash of GenoHaradan from KOTOR.