Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kioma
10.02.2012 , 12:07 PM | #2041
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I'd have prefered a reply to my post, personally. But you all have fun in happy-land.
...Right.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 12:16 PM | #2042
I'd have prefered a reply to my post, personally. But you all have fun in happy-land.
There's not much I can say to yours as I agree with it. Bioware and EA have set a standard themselves for themselves by which their future games will be judged by - this is that their games are inclusive and have LGB persons, non-white persons, female persons (and I should hope in the future, trans* persons). This game is homophobic is as much as it does not even acknowledge that there may be sexualities other than heterosexual - this is demonstrated by the fact that every heterosexual flirt is met with like interest, there is no "sorry, you're not my type" (except for the rare occasion when you're non-human in the Empire).

This issue is being blown out of proportion by the fact that Bioware is incapable of addressing this topic (whether through meddling middle management or a flat out refusal). The very fact that the game is so heterocentric is a political point - it's a reminder to LGB persons and allies that discrimination is alive and well in the real world: you're trying to relax and enjoy yourself but at every turn you're being reminded that people hate you, that people think your lifestyle should be banned and that those people have power. I still maintain that if Bioware had only had white tones at release the issue would have been addressed within weeks and there would not be anywhere near the amount of vitriol or general ignorance poured on people who wanted that content. There would not be anyone wandering into the "Black Skin Tones, Please?" threads saying that it wasn't important, that Bioware shouldn't be wasting their time on it, that it was just a political ruse to make children think being black was "normal".

Everyone's right in saying that this is a game and that politics* shouldn't come into it - but by excluding LGB persons from the game (I will say that they are excluded, they aren't represented in game at all), Bioware is making a political point, whether they want to or not.

*I don't mean politics as in good ol' Eton boys and get elected. I mean social issues and public opinion.

stormdrakelord
10.02.2012 , 12:28 PM | #2043
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
As has been noted before, Imperial side does have the only real option to, in-story, make your character out to be homosexual in the Sith Warrior's sidequest with Vette - "We're all open-minded here." after all.

Maybe that's just a Sith thing though. They aren't exactly ones to conform to societal norms.
where does this come from? No quest name, just the planet.
Han Solo: Great, kid. Don't get cocky.

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 12:33 PM | #2044
Quote: Originally Posted by stormdrakelord View Post
where does this come from? No quest name, just the planet.
Nar Shadda.

Eleuril
10.02.2012 , 12:48 PM | #2045
Was Uluain's thread in General taken down? If so, it's back. If not, uhhh whoops, my mistake for saying it was.

EDIT: I mean this one: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=536092.

Uluain
10.02.2012 , 02:26 PM | #2046
Yes, it had been closed for clean-up and is now restored.

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 02:28 PM | #2047
Yes, it had been closed for clean-up and is now restored.
Also one apparently can't discuss polygamy and multiple person relationships, that's news to me o.O I can guess why, though. (You can probably guess I'm not used to such blanket censorship.)

Chaac
10.02.2012 , 02:34 PM | #2048
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Also one apparently can't discuss polygamy and multiple person relationships, that's news to me o.O I can guess why, though. (You can probably guess I'm not used to such blanket censorship.)
With the amount of deleting going on over there I can't keep up, every time I refresh the page new posts are up, then I refresh it again and their gone.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

Tatile
10.02.2012 , 02:38 PM | #2049
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaac View Post
With the amount of deleting going on over there I can't keep up, every time I refresh the page new posts are up, then I refresh it again and their gone.
Yeah, they're pretty happy to delete posts but not actually answer the question. They're separate teams, yes, but it's obvious that Bioware know about the thread and its purpose.

Edit: Just sent another PM to Ms. Berryman about Mr. Hood and Mr. Amatangelo's comments about SGRA's being with Makeb. I don't except a response, I think she deletes my messages outright now.

natashina
10.02.2012 , 07:44 PM | #2050
"Some high-ranking suit has the forum moderator's hands tied, so they can't respond. They're just not allowed to say anything to those discontent by it, and spout what they're told to spout."

This is from battle.net regarding Panda Land and CRZ(if you want to know what that is, look it up.) I just quoted it because it applies here.

I'm frustrated by this lack of communitcation from BW as well. For now, my solution is to just enjoy the game as much as I can atm.

I've got my Chiss lady sniper to lvl 31 and I'm really enjoying the story. I'm in Alderaan and just met Vector. He's...odd, but seems like someone I could be LS with. I didn't mean to go LS with this toon(I'm almost LS 1 now lol,) but it turned out that way via roleplaying. As much as I like Kailyo, she wouldn't be someone I would consider for SGRs for myself. At least not on a LS character. Kailyo is fun, but let's just say that some of her personality reminds me of some of the ladies I knew in the past.

Oh, I was thinking about the whole, "characters that make sense" phrase. I believe I was over thinking it.

These are the characters that would make zero sense imho. It has nothing really to do with personality for the most part:

• Skadge(okay, his personality is awful)
  • Blizz
  • T-7
  • Yuun
  • M1-4X
  • Bowdaar
  • Gus Tuno
  • Qyzen
  • Broonmark
  • Khem Val

I didn't put Scorpio on the list since she seems quite humanoid. From what I have seen(haven't met her yet on my IA,) her bloodlust is on par with DS Jaesa's.

However, Scorpio seems like she could be a sexual being. I'm not saying it would happen, but if we are playing in a world where someone can love a hologram, why not a droid? Especially a more humanoid one.

Edit: Post too long, will continue in the 2nd post.