Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Psychological Reasons Behind Revan Fanboyism

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Psychological Reasons Behind Revan Fanboyism

SaliusKalo
10.02.2012 , 03:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
Much of what you said is true. However, it does not excuse Revanites when they say that revan is the greatest to happen to Star Wars. They say it in more ways than one.
No; Darth Vader is the greatest to happen to Star Wars. That's my point; it's a misunderstood love for pre-Hayden Christensen Vader and the longing to have that back. Of course, it's ruined now.

My real point is, I suppose: Star Wars giveth, and then Star Wars brutally ruins - and it isn't just GL anymore.
"The capacity for good or evil, like the Force itself, is in all living creatures. And belonging to the Jedi Order, or the Sith, or any group, won't change what you are at your core."
―Jolee Bindo

Aurbere
10.02.2012 , 03:21 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by SaliusKalo View Post
No; Darth Vader is the greatest to happen to Star Wars. That's my point; it's a misunderstood love for pre-Hayden Christensen Vader and the longing to have that back. Of course, it's ruined now.

My real point is, I suppose: Star Wars giveth, and then Star Wars brutally ruins - and it isn't just GL anymore.
But there is more to the Revan obsession than just PT disappointments.
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Airmo
10.02.2012 , 03:55 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
But there is more to the Revan obsession than just PT disappointments.
Fanboi's are like haters, they are just going to be, doesnt matter what kind of fanboi you are they are all the same. The people who complain about it just need to ignore it like you do any other fanboi. You don't have to understand them, you don't have to try to reason with them (trying to reason with a fanboi is stupid anyway) ignore it and it will go away. Why someone would treat people who are fanboi's of Revan any differently then any other group of fanboi's i just don't get. ..I typed 'fanboi' a lot in this post.
"Darkness is a friend, an ally. Darkness allows us to understand others, to see what they value when they believe no one else is looking. It allows us to be honest with ourselves, to express those values that we would disavow in the light. The light blinds us. It is only in the dark that we see clearly."

Aurbere
10.02.2012 , 04:03 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Airmo View Post
Fanboi's are like haters, they are just going to be, doesnt matter what kind of fanboi you are they are all the same. The people who complain about it just need to ignore it like you do any other fanboi. You don't have to understand them, you don't have to try to reason with them (trying to reason with a fanboi is stupid anyway) ignore it and it will go away. Why someone would treat people who are fanboi's of Revan any differently then any other group of fanboi's i just don't get. ..I typed 'fanboi' a lot in this post.
Yes you did

And you are correct. You can't sway a fanboy's opinion of someone because it is ingrained into their very soul (lol)
Added Chapter 41 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Xatasha
10.02.2012 , 06:15 PM | #15
Revan was a character that people got to play. People love their own characters and that is how Revan became this powerful being in some peoples' minds

Forgon
10.02.2012 , 06:26 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by SaliusKalo View Post

You are sounding more like an OT fossil Darth Vader fanboy now, imo; just saying.

You are equating the negative response to Hayden playing (future) Darth Vader to a fanatical attachment to Revan. That is a false correlation, there is nothing connecting the two.

The void is not in us for longing to be a character that many people who play KOTOR do not equate to being Darth Vader (Malak assumed that role). The void was in Revan for being a vessel players could assume as and later discover THEY were that person.

Nothing about Revan is what I expected Vader to be. If you imagined Vader who was "seduced by the Dark Side of the Force" to have fallen due to the horrors of war, that's head canon throwing itself out there. Everything about Vader from the originals was that he was coaxed into falling to evil and then enslaved to that evil, that is it; no horrors of war was mentioned or even implied.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

Eillack
10.04.2012 , 08:24 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Xatasha View Post
Revan was a character that people got to play. People love their own characters and that is how Revan became this powerful being in some peoples' minds
A mix of this and that Revan had a very good story that had a dump taken on it so TOR could be advertised a little but more....
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

DarthBandeth
10.04.2012 , 11:26 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Makoto_Shishio View Post
Because you were playing as him after you found out the big twist in KOTOR.

Other than that with the release of later media, he's an absolutely terrible character and another mary-sue.
Pretty much this.

Although I'd also like to add that Revan had a cool mask and outfit and was a hero and very powerful, qualities of numerous loved character.
"No amount of action or explosions is as interesting as a good story." ~ Christian bale

Stole this CE key off of a dead fan.

SiXXXX
10.06.2012 , 04:56 AM | #19
I'm a Revan "fanboy" because I played through both KOTOR games 5-6 times at least. Grew attached to the character, the concept, and still remember how shocked I was the first time it was revealed who I was. Best RPG moment ever for me I'd say.

Anybody who played threw KOTOR before this MMO and loved it cannot deny that they love Revan. All the haters never played.
Bergeren Colony Liiara Överkill Cassüs

The Harbinger Nyhilüss Jay-Fett Thräsher

Rayla_Felana
10.06.2012 , 05:03 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by SiXXXX View Post
I'm a Revan "fanboy" because I played through both KOTOR games 5-6 times at least. Grew attached to the character, the concept, and still remember how shocked I was the first time it was revealed who I was. Best RPG moment ever for me I'd say.

Anybody who played threw KOTOR before this MMO and loved it cannot deny that they love Revan. All the haters never played.
I played it and loved it, but I don't fangirl over it all the time, your assumption is false.