Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any Thoughts On Expansion Classes?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Any Thoughts On Expansion Classes?

Kaisernick
09.30.2012 , 04:42 PM | #11
Ive rolled around with an idea for a senate class and while i haven't figured out the play style i have come up with possibility a good starting point story wise.

i had it start where your the son or daughter of the senator of whatever planet your from and you have been sent to ord mantell for a peace talks between the pro republic and separatist forces.

you arrive with your farther and his bodyguard who is your first companion while the talk get under way a dude comes up saying that once of the representatives is under attack and need help with only you there you go and help, however it turns out to be a ruse as once you and a few troops are gone the delegates including your farther are killed.

so you go through ord mantell looking for his killer and at the same time trying to patch things over between the two factions, at the end you discover the killer is a imperial agent and has fled to courcant.

so you go there report to the senate who during this time make you a representative for your planet.

the story goes on like padme and lieas, sure your a senator but in these times of war most senators are combat trained and go out and help people.

SillyDan
09.30.2012 , 05:11 PM | #12
No Star Wars-based RPG or FPS I'm aware of has let you play a droid as the primary player character. I'd love to see that change in a hypothetical SWTOR expansion or sequel. Who wouldn't want to play as an HK-series assassin droid or an inexplicably well-armed astromech?

JPLaro
09.30.2012 , 05:18 PM | #13
I miss KOTOR

Lurtzello
09.30.2012 , 05:28 PM | #14
Sarlacc Enforcer.
Seriously though, it doesn't seem like the tech for pets is in place (it would be totally different from the one of companions). This being said, because of the costs of the story I'm a bit skeptical they will add any more classes through the next expansion (especially if it's going to be the space one), and they couldn't do one like the "hero class" of WoW either, which would start at an high level hence reducing the costs, because then they would have problems ralated to the companions. Personally, I believe they will focus on consolidating the game as it is and if F2P ends up being successful, then we might see new, fully developed classes.
Everything is STAR WARS is the best.

ShupFace
10.01.2012 , 01:18 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by SillyDan View Post
No Star Wars-based RPG or FPS I'm aware of has let you play a droid as the primary player character. I'd love to see that change in a hypothetical SWTOR expansion or sequel. Who wouldn't want to play as an HK-series assassin droid or an inexplicably well-armed astromech?
I'm with SillyDan! It would be easy to have a droid/droid mirror class. The story line could be an assassin droid masquerading as a protocol droid or something...

alricka
10.01.2012 , 08:09 AM | #16
All these ideas are well and good but we have to consider what we currently have as well as the existing mechanics of the game.

So, with that in mind, my opinion is this:
- a "Force user" of any kind would be redundant. We have the Jedi and the Sith represented as fully as possible at this point.
- a pet class (like the Hunter in WoW, just for example) is not a bad idea but we have to consider the fact that the companion system kind of makes pets obsolete - a lot of the classes already send their NPC ally to fight on the front lines while they go "pew-pew!" from afar.
- a droid class. A cool idea but since we're all getting HK-51 as a companion I don't know how valueable it is. Also, how different could the gameplay be from the current Bounty Hunter/Trooper and the Agent/Smuggler classes? There is only so much you can do with a character that relies on gadgets and guns without falling into their (already established) categories. Just putting a "robot skin" on isn't enough.
- a "noble" class centered around political intrigue is an awesome idea. It could make for a cool story, especially with SWTOR's conversation system. However! How would such a class fare in combat (and let's not kid ourselves, combat is 98 % of what we do in the game)? A noble is not a soldier/fighter type, so it has to be a ranged class that doesn't have military-grade heavy armor but instead would rely on shooting enemies from afar, preferrably from cover, and maybe he/she could throw in a heal or two. In other words, an Agent/Smuggler type put into a story with political intrigue.

I think that BioWare has chosen/designed the classes all too well. There is really not much you could add there. To be honest, if they add something new in expansions, I'd prefer it to be more diverse character creation species (go Nautolan! go Togruta!) and continuation of the storylines of the existing classes.

HellbirdIV
10.01.2012 , 08:27 AM | #17
I do think that adding playable droids is a bad idea - a recurring debate in Star Wars is droids as lifeforms. Even Jedi do not seem to consider seemingly sapient droids to be truly "alive".

Having them as playable characters sort of necessitates an in-story acceptance of droids as "real people" which just takes away a big chunk of the potential of things like Directive Seven and any other "Droid Rights" story.

Temeluchus
10.01.2012 , 09:40 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by HellbirdIV View Post
I do think that adding playable droids is a bad idea - a recurring debate in Star Wars is droids as lifeforms. Even Jedi do not seem to consider seemingly sapient droids to be truly "alive".

Having them as playable characters sort of necessitates an in-story acceptance of droids as "real people" which just takes away a big chunk of the potential of things like Directive Seven and any other "Droid Rights" story.
Have to agree here. Even droids that have avoided routine memory wipes and gotten to the point of seemingly being 'real" or human-like, see SCORPIO, are still droids none the less and subject to the many pitfalls of being a droid. SCORPIO for all her potential BAMFery is still kept on a leash/controlled by restraining codes if you choose and there isn't jack all she can do about it.

Not to mention in PvP you guys rolling droids would spend a vast majority of time perma-CCed, with occasional resolve breaks, by SWs,JKs,IAs and Smugglers. BW would have to fundamentally redesign the droid CC or rework all abilities to function one way in PvP and another in PvE;seems like a lot of work for one class that won't even work with the romance sidestory for companions(which as unimportant as it may be, is something BW prides itself on and is known for).

I have been a fan of the Imperial Guard class idea for a while now and would like to see it implemented in some fashion.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Master-Nala
10.01.2012 , 11:17 AM | #19
I'm partial to a Jedi Investigator/Sith Inspector class. Basically, someone who catches criminals of the respective factions. Like a force using bounty hunter that works within the law, unlike bounty hunters. With a mix of force and tech powers.

Misterlizard
10.02.2012 , 01:23 PM | #20
Well, the already-existing classes are based on archetypes from the movies and previous expanded universe. The bounty hunter is based off of Boba and Jango Fett, the Inquisitor baed of off Palpatine and Dooku, the smuggler based off Han Solo, etc...

To me, it seems like there aren't many archetypes left from the movies. But! There are some from Old Republic in general that Bioware hasn't used as a class yet, and that's the Mandalorians and the Echani.

The Mandalorians and the Echani are rivals - exact opposites - yet they share values of honor and individual prowess. The Mandos, as we know, are mostly Empire-aligned, and the Echani from KOTOR2 are more partial to the ideals of the Republic. The reemergence of the Echani, and the conflict between the Echani and the Mandolorians, would be a solid ground for an expansion.

They both show skill in close combat, and even unarmed combat, so I'm thinking they would be good melee classes )this would also allow the Mandolorian to be even more different from the bounty hunter class) Here's something along the lines of what I'm thinking, as far as class and subclasses go:

EMPIRE CLASS - Mandalorian Raider
subclass - Mandalorian Gladiator (tank/dps) - uses heavy armor and large melee weapons, like the axe Mandalore uses in KOTOR2.
subclass - Mandalorian Scout (dps/healer) - uses light armor and a vibrosword.

REPUBLIC CLASS - Echani Monk (look the Echani up on Wookiepedia to learn more about them!)
subclass - Echani Sun Guard (tank/dps) the mirror of the Mandolorian Gladiator; uses heavy armor and double-bladed vibroswords.
subclass - Echani Duelist (dps/healer) mirror of the Mandolorian Scout;; uses light armor and fist weapons (since the echani excel in unarmed combat so well)