Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

LOL Game balance

Sithcreep
10.02.2012 , 10:14 AM | #1
It makes me laugh everytime ppl argue on general chat this game was perfectly balanced. Perfectly balanced up your rear-end. SKILL based games can be perfectly balanced. There is no way in HELL a gear based game can be perfectly balanced. This game is GEAR based.

In MW3 for example anyone whos skilled and plays the game the first time can own you with any standard weapon. Thats perfect balance. Gear, class dont matter, only skill.

But in this game, some classes are arguably better than others. Such a game can NEVER be perfectly balanced, not even close. Get that ******** idea outta your heads, its none but a vague dream. This game is imbalanced as hell. Thats a fact.

Lionflash
10.02.2012 , 10:17 AM | #2
Nothing beats using a knockback in huttball to toss a full WH into the fire trap.

Fire doesn't care about your gear...

LukeSaberRattler
10.02.2012 , 10:19 AM | #3
I don't agree 100% true the game isn't balance in a way that any class can match up to the others 1v1 it is more balanced toward a group. A group of 4v4 should be fairly balanced and be in for a good fight in this game which I believe is the case.
The Harbinger
Skabiin lvl 55 DPS Juggernaut -- Skaviin lvl 50 DPS Guardian -- Kappo lvl 55 DPS Sniper -- Verucaa'Salt lvl 47 Tank Vangaurd -- Snozzberry lvl 44 DPS Gunslinger -- Vermicious'knid lvl 45 Tank Shadow -- Viizla lvl 37 DPS Mercenary -- Okiira lvl 37 DPS Sentinel

Eillack
10.02.2012 , 10:21 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Nothing beats using a knockback in huttball to toss a full WH into the fire trap.

Fire doesn't care about your gear...
Fire don't give a ****
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Digimanbyte_ID
10.02.2012 , 10:30 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sithcreep View Post
In MW3 for example anyone whos skilled and plays the game the first time can own you with any standard weapon. Thats perfect balance. Gear, class dont matter, only skill.
Not really, remember many can make customer classes the longer they play and been promoted. Also you speaking about a different game genre to this, so you're comparison is worthless.

This ain't a FPS and therefore can't be judged or compared like one.

NinjaApacHe
10.02.2012 , 10:31 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sithcreep View Post
It makes me laugh everytime ppl argue on general chat this game was perfectly balanced. Perfectly balanced up your rear-end. SKILL based games can be perfectly balanced. There is no way in HELL a gear based game can be perfectly balanced. This game is GEAR based.

But in this game, some classes are arguably better than others. Such a game can NEVER be perfectly balanced, not even close. Get that ******** idea outta your heads, its none but a vague dream. This game is imbalanced as hell. Thats a fact.
So I understand your problem: today you had your arse beaten a lot of times. Now you have to think if it was because of game imbalance or because of you low skill.

Jenzali
10.02.2012 , 11:05 AM | #7
Not only did you compare an MMO to an FPS, but you used modern warfare of all things. You do realize there are weapons and perks that are unlocked by those who play longer, right? And custom classes that can greatly tilt the balance of a game?
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

RendValor
10.02.2012 , 12:23 PM | #8
It may not be perfectly balanced, but it's also not horribly unbalanced as some people make it out to be. You're right this game (nor any MMORPG) is not skill based, but it is also not solely gear based. Knowledge of game mechanics and strategy can allow you to beat someone better geared than you in a 1on1 fight and/or a DPS competition.
The Trayus Legacy - Prophecy of the Five

Newyankalt
10.02.2012 , 12:51 PM | #9
We got a cod fanboy.

DrewFromPhilly
10.02.2012 , 02:02 PM | #10
I played MW2 a lot but never really got into the third one. I bought it and stuck it in my Xbox but when I saw everything at level one I was like "nope, not spending another six months unlocking everything" and traded it in for Skyrim iirc.

I dislike the trend in FPS games where advantages can be unlocked in perks and unlocks - but I will say that in MW2 at least those differences were nowhere near as pronounced as the recruit vs WH imbalance in TOR, for example.

TOR doesn't have killstreak rewards, though, and those always annoyed me. So I get however many kills in a row and can summon an apache helicopter that hovers around and literally kill people for me with no effort or input from me? The one where you're flying above the map in a plane with a freaking Gatling gun and a freaking cannon isn't even as bad - at least those have to be aimed. Barebones mode, where all that nonsense was removed, was my favorite because I felt like it was the most skill-based. FPS games are at their best, in my opinion, when everyone starts the match with the same gun (the crappy assualt rifle in halo, etc.) and only their skill and knowledge of the map separate them from their competitors.

I would have agreed with the OP more enthusiastically a couple weeks ago, but then BW decided to reunite me with the powertech I made on a dead server in February. I respec'd him to a pyrotech and I'm liking pvp with that so far. Before I was pvp'ing with my tank and healer but both were too slow and dull for me. At least with the pyrotech I can be as aggressive as I am when I play FPS games. I even put up with the recruit crap long enough to get him a full set of augmented battlemaster and im at the point now where i feel like i can hold my own against most players gear-wise. Theres some classes that i feel like have an advantage in certain areas over me, and theres certain classes i feel like i can usually do pretty well against. Im coming up with ways to counter the former, though.

In general this is a lot simpler than an FPS game and the action is pretty slow in comparison, but I'll probably keep playing for a while at least. More maps would be nice though, MW2 shipped with like 16 maps and 12+ game modes iirc.