Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where have the tanks gone?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Where have the tanks gone?

Anysao
09.30.2012 , 02:54 PM | #1
From what I've heard, tanks are just disappearing, and oddly, healers are populating quickly.
I'm a tank (always have been, even if I didn't want to at first), so I don't see the problem on my part. Are twy all leveling alts like i did? (My operative is a proud rakata/columi DPS now) did they quit?

We miss you tanks! Please come home!
Ooh! In WildStar, I get double jumps, path choices, and massive PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.
You cannot escape the Moonbanger!The Ebon Hawk Starfighter Enthusiast.

LostInReverie
10.01.2012 , 09:45 AM | #2
I have had the opposite experience. It's hard for me to find healers when grouping, which really sucks. However, I have an alt Vanguard, but I haven't played him much yet. So don't despair. There are tanks out there. I guess it really just depends on your server and the planet you are on at the time.
THE CALLISTO LEGACY (JC)
THE SOLARIS LEGACY (EH)
55s - Melusine
55s- Ilaria / Drusīlla

Anysao
10.01.2012 , 10:11 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LostInReverie View Post
I have had the opposite experience. It's hard for me to find healers when grouping, which really sucks. However, I have an alt Vanguard, but I haven't played him much yet. So don't despair. There are tanks out there. I guess it really just depends on your server and the planet you are on at the time.
I'm usually on the fleet. Dang, you got a nice server then. Thing is, a DPS can just respec to heals, and not need to change gear, while a DPS to tank needs a whole new set.
Ooh! In WildStar, I get double jumps, path choices, and massive PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
I will never take someone who says "EAware" seriously.
You cannot escape the Moonbanger!The Ebon Hawk Starfighter Enthusiast.

LarryRow
10.01.2012 , 10:21 AM | #4
Well, it doesn't help that (using empire ACs) the best spec for Sorc, Op and Merc is the heal spec, and their dps specs are regarded as sub-par.

Meanwhile, for Jugg and PT, you have the lolSmash spec and the wtfpwn Pyro spec.

That's why you see a lot of healers and very few tanks.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

revansowns
10.01.2012 , 10:23 AM | #5
For me, I have trouble finding tanks on the Imp side. On the Republic side I have a hard time find healers. Just my personal experience.
The Darkslayer Legacy
Zhendai - Level 55 Jedi Guardian Valixe - Level 52 Sith Sorcerer Omin'it - Level 52 Sniper Valiantes - Level 50 Commando Thondurr - Level 50 Jedi Shadow Ikorath - Level 50 Sith Marauder Araxxo - Level 13 Powertech Tegldef -Level 36 Scoundrel

Loquille
10.01.2012 , 01:21 PM | #6
Well, are we talking about using the group finder or just trying to get a group together on the fleet? Also, are we talking about low level flashpoints, HM flashpoints, or Operations?

From my personal experience leveling my Jugg and now my Shadow as a tank, until you get more abilities to hold the aggro beyond just Taunt, it can be a little frustrating not having the right tools for the job.

For HM Flashpoints, personally I only need to do 1/day. I'm not going to que in by myself if I can help it, since it will pretty much be an instant que, I'm going to take my friends. I would wager that most tanks think along the same line here.

For Operations, chances any half decent is in a guild and that is who they are going to run their operations with most of the time.

So in summary, beyond being one of the least appealing roles to play for most people in PvE, there are a lot other factors which make us more scarce than DPS.

Another piece of advice though, if you are DPS and if you want to stay off a tanks ignore lists, don't touch the mobs before we do.

Royox
10.04.2012 , 07:28 PM | #7
Why should I want to play a Tank class if Sentinels/marauders have more Defensive CC's than my Vanguard? If I can't tank with a Tank better than a DPS class i reroll to a DPS skill tree.

henhouse
10.05.2012 , 06:27 AM | #8
I dont know, I have yet to be out tanked by a dps on my shield/absorb stacking vanguard.

But tankin is a thankless job, just like healing. Some people grow tired of it an roll DPS to have it the easy way and run around in cruise control with close to no responsibility within the group. Cause when something fails, its never the DPS who gets blamed, its obviously the tank or the healer's fault. When it succeeds, those two just go unnoticed.

It seems to be a pattern in many MMOs now.
Captain Henerkin Eisley - Space Pirate, Independent
And countless alts...
Project Invicta - Invicta Trade Company (OOC)
The Ebon Hawk (RP)

MishraArtificer
10.06.2012 , 03:07 AM | #9
As a Vanguard AND Powertech tank, I actually enjoy tanking. I'm on Canderous Ordo-(cough)AHEM, um, Jedi Covenant, the longest I've ever had to wait for the Group Finder to pop is five minutes. If you want to join me, I'm usually on late at night until early morning.

Hadriel Caradhras, the Mantellian
Aredhel Caradhras, Grand Champion of the Great Hunt
Quote: Originally Posted by CosmicKat View Post
Twiki (with or without Dr. Theopolis), Muffet, and Wesley Crusher could form a boy band and do a Buck Rogers/BSG/Trek crossover tour, then crash on a remote asteroid, meet up with Doctoor Zee, and save themselves by making a spaceship out of random Cylon debris... and it would still be much less stupid than Jar Jar.
Behold...my referral link!

namesaretough
10.06.2012 , 03:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by LarryRow View Post
Well, it doesn't help that (using empire ACs) the best spec for Sorc, Op and Merc is the heal spec, and their dps specs are regarded as sub-par.
The only one I can really see that for is ops. Merc and sorc dps is fine, ESPECIALLY for anything you'd pug.
Smugglin