Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

WHERE is the progression? All Ops can't give the same loot.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
WHERE is the progression? All Ops can't give the same loot.

The_Duck
09.28.2012 , 10:56 AM | #1
I don't get this games PvE gear progression AT ALL. What the heck?
By just running Eternity Vault Hard-Mode (arguably the easiest Ops around) I can gear up full Rakata.

So, where to go from there? No unique pieces that are better drop in:
1. Karagga (any mode) = nope
2. Eternity vault Nightmare = nope
3. Explosive Conflict (story mode) = nope (with maybe 1 Black Hole drop at the final boss that only 1 person gets)
4. Terror From Beyond (story mode) = drops Rakata (what? still Rakata?) with ~1 BH drop for the whole raid
5. Hard Mode EC/TFB = THE ONLY PROGRESSION AND YOU NEED BLACKHOLE GEAR to clear

And I'm not talking about "is it POSSIBLE to clear EC HM with just Rakata?".
I think it is safe to say that it would not be easy for most to clear EC HM with just Rakata and for most just not possible.

personally, I don't care because I am in campaign but I care in the sense that basically only 2 Operations are even worth the time to log in to the game.

What ever happened to unique items that make you think about how you want to allocate your stats?
Basically, anyone playing my same class/spec chooses the exact same gear because that is all there is to choose from.
- The Duck

Mavery
09.28.2012 , 11:49 AM | #2
You are aware that the first kills of EC HM were done in unaugmented rakata, right? It's 100% possible. Rakata is ALL you need for EC HM. To suggest it's "not possible for most" is absolutely silly and fallacious.

Progression goes like this: tier 1 SM -> tier 2 SM (EC or TFB) OR tier 1 HM (EV or KP) -> EC HM -> TFB HM

It's a very clear progression path. They're just giving options at the SM level.
Elidibs Draconis, Kinetic Shadow
Yup, I'm back. Miss me?

wainot-keel
09.28.2012 , 11:52 AM | #3
I don't know much about gear progression, but what I see is more options to get Rakata.

Not long ago, I ran 4 times in a row EV hm (yes, 4 weeks) and I didn't get the Rakata boots for my Sorcerer. Not that I lost the rolls, just damn thing wouldn't drop. I finally went to EC sm and I got them in the first run.
More options helps with bad luck.

Or maybe someone got benched for EV hm and still needs gear, so the main raiding team can go to EC sm and still get that other something.

I don't think it's bad having more sources for Rakata.

Kaonis
09.28.2012 , 02:49 PM | #4
The reason it's that way, is because BW shot themselves in the foot with stats. They dumbed stats down so much, and make diminishing returns hit you so hard, that alternative sets of gear are pretty well impossible. The best they could do is new looking gear, or new set bonuses, plus vanity gear.

But we'll never see 2 comparable sets of gear in a tier, and you'll never see ops giving away different sets of gear in the same ops tiers.

AshlaBoga
09.28.2012 , 03:07 PM | #5
In regards to Operation progression my guild did it like this.

Tionese-Columi mix:
SM EV
SM KP (repeat x3 for Columi Hilts/Barrels)
HM EV (while farming SM KP for Weapons)

Columi-Rakata mix:
HM KP (after finishing farm of SM KP)
SM EC (pointless post-nerf and the massive decrease in BH Comms)
NiM EV (until you have "Infernal" or everyone who wants speeder has speeder)

Mostly Rakata, with some Columi:
NiM KP (for BH Comms and the Hat! I love that hat!)
HM EC (Tier 2 gear! Finally!)

P.S: We haven't cleared HM Terror yet so I can't comment on the 1.4 Ops progression
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

ccoolmint
09.28.2012 , 03:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
In regards to Operation progression my guild did it like this.

Tionese-Columi mix:
SM EV
SM KP (repeat x3 for Columi Hilts/Barrels)
HM EV (while farming SM KP for Weapons)

Columi-Rakata mix:
HM KP (after finishing farm of SM KP)
SM EC (pointless post-nerf and the massive decrease in BH Comms)
NiM EV (until you have "Infernal" or everyone who wants speeder has speeder)

Mostly Rakata, with some Columi:
NiM KP (for BH Comms and the Hat! I love that hat!)
HM EC (Tier 2 gear! Finally!)

P.S: We haven't cleared HM Terror yet so I can't comment on the 1.4 Ops progression
there are no BH comms in SM EC and NiM KP (haven't done NiM KP post patch so I cant confirm it)

Moriganno
09.30.2012 , 10:32 AM | #7
You can do HM EC with rakata. That's what everyone was doing when it was 1st released, and ppl , myself included were clearing it all in 2hrs. With augmentation kits(released after EC), it is now easier than ever to clear HM EC. Now players got Full campaign gear and are doing HM TFB.

Story modes are for the casual players who just want to see more content, without feeling being left out when a new operation was released.

Simple to understand yes?

Jableson
09.30.2012 , 03:01 PM | #8
I just want to comment about gear progression and difficulty of HM EC being significantly more difficult than NM KP. If HM EC is the only new place to go for any casual guild to get gear "higher" than rakata you MUST clear zorn and toth HM (prolly one of the most frustrating boss encounters ive ever seen).

I just figured that with a new set of armor and a new OP being released their may be a workaround from this HM EC. EVEN if only one piece of campaign dropped off of last boss TFB SM.

Give the story mode players a bone, any bone, for completing the next step in the "story" of OP's..
BH is Rakata for the most part cept for a FEW pieces in which the stats are minimally better

Vacarius
09.30.2012 , 04:27 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jableson View Post
BH is Rakata for the most part cept for a FEW pieces in which the stats are minimally better
?

if you rip out mods from BH pieces and stick them in rakata your gear is significantly better, just requires you knowing what mods/enhancements you need.

In reference to the OP,you can't get full rakata from doing EV HM. EV and KP each drop half the rakata set, meaning you need to do both to get the full set. It seems Nightmare EC and TFB will do the same when released.
Seikier - Operative Healer
Officer of Nightmare Council

Chorusgirl
09.30.2012 , 06:48 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Vacarius View Post
if you rip out mods from BH pieces and stick them in rakata your gear is significantly better, just requires you knowing what mods/enhancements you need.
This is what I did with most of my gear, although I went back and replaced my rakata with tionese since it looked better with my pink bounty hunter chest. You can keep your set bonuses this way while using your black hole coms that you get through the FP dailies and weeklies to upgrade the modifications. I actually geared out my alt in 61 level mods by doing dailies. There are a lot of different ways to gear up without necessarily doing HM denova. I used the boots for Mercs since those had power/surge stats and were one of the cheaper pieces. Anyway, good luck gearing up!
<Cali Killed Nox>
Prophecy of Five
Progression Raiding Guild