Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Flagged for rename

TheFocusElf
09.29.2012 , 09:16 PM | #1
I read the consolidation reports and fortunately was on a server where other servers were merged INTO. Can someone tell me how ALL of my characters (on the server of their original residence) are flagged for renames? I'm a little more than pissed.

Ebon Hawk >> Ebon Hawk ... and I lose 11 of my character's names?

Skylerr
09.29.2012 , 09:29 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by TheFocusElf View Post
I read the consolidation reports and fortunately was on a server where other servers were merged INTO. Can someone tell me how ALL of my characters (on the server of their original residence) are flagged for renames? I'm a little more than pissed.

Ebon Hawk >> Ebon Hawk ... and I lose 11 of my character's names?
I'm not 100% sure how they determined the renaming but I think its some combination of the level of the character and the age of the character (meaning someone that has spent 100+ hours on a character would be a little more attached to a particular name than someone else that is just sitting on the name on a level 10 alt). That is how it has worked in other MMO I've played.

I don't think they considered the server as a variable (as that would be a variable based on random chance, not merit).
(▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ΞSKYLERR()█Ξ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)

TheFocusElf
09.29.2012 , 09:33 PM | #3
Well considered or not, I had some 40s and some generic level 10s in there... every last one was flagged for rename. All of them were created within 3 weeks of launch, some during the early access.

I can see, even though I named them as "placeholders" for a future character in some cases, the low levels. But some of the others I just hate now because I've been forced to pick a name that I just "made up." I know for most people this doesn't matter, but I play/played on an RP server and I had some back story and all of that carebear crap going.

12 characters flagged for rename. I call shenanigans.

-Holmes
09.29.2012 , 09:35 PM | #4
It might be the total time spent on that specific character. If you type /played in game, you'll see the total hours accumulated. It's possible that if your clone who has the same name, has used the character for longer, they got dibs on the name.

Have you picked fairly common names, that someone would have picked at launch on a different server?

Skylerr
09.29.2012 , 09:42 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by -Holmes View Post
Have you picked fairly common names, that someone would have picked at launch on a different server?
This.

It is a bit alarming that you lost 12/12 but if you used fairly common names I would pretty much expect someone to have beat you on time spent playing (particularly if you have lots of alts in the mid-levels, there are lots of people out there that have only been playing one or two characters since launch... hundreds of hours!).

I think there is a good argument to be made the RP servers should have got priority... but its not a very strong argument. non-rpers are pretty attached to character names too.

Skodan
09.29.2012 , 09:53 PM | #6
everyone got merged onto new high population tech servers. the destination servers that you see now are "new" servers even though they have the same names as the old.
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

TheFocusElf
09.29.2012 , 10:24 PM | #7
I'd say a few were common/novelty -- these would not be the ones I am up in arms over. So I lost Trogdor or Captain Kirk the bounty hunter. Some of my ... staple personal RP ones however were taken. In other words, the characters I invested the time into, about 4 out of those 12, are now "Lundniss" and other names the random generator saw fit to bestow. Again I understand some random values, but if playtime was the sole statistic, I am being penalized for not leaving my account idol for long periods of time it would seem, I was subbed from Release through June. Allowed a month or so to lapse and came back.

Sincerely,

A very upset Founder.

Skylerr
09.29.2012 , 10:37 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TheFocusElf View Post
I'd say a few were common/novelty -- these would not be the ones I am up in arms over. So I lost Trogdor or Captain Kirk the bounty hunter. Some of my ... staple personal RP ones however were taken. In other words, the characters I invested the time into, about 4 out of those 12, are now "Lundniss" and other names the random generator saw fit to bestow. Again I understand some random values, but if playtime was the sole statistic, I am being penalized for not leaving my account idol for long periods of time it would seem, I was subbed from Release through June. Allowed a month or so to lapse and came back.

Sincerely,

A very upset Founder.
if they made the choices based on playtime then you are being penalized for being less invested in your characters in the only way they can reliably quantify... playtime. If someone else spent 1hr longer on a character than you then the facts dictate they are more invested in that character. I wish it was feasible for them to gather a tribunal for every name conflict (so they could carefully weigh the less tangible variables) but its not. Sorry

That being said... I don't know if that is even how they made the determinations...

LostInReverie
09.29.2012 , 10:48 PM | #9
I'm sorry to hear that. I only have 3 characters, and I was lucky enough to not have any of them flagged for renaming. I don't know if you want to go this route, but you can rename your character the same name but using an alt code letter instead of a regular letter ( for example.) That might be too immersion breaking for you though..
THE CALLISTO LEGACY (JC)
THE SOLARIS LEGACY (EH)