Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Issues launching the game

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Soljourn
09.28.2012 , 06:48 PM | #1
Ever since patch 1.4a (I didn't play in the day where the Galactic Trade Network was down, so maybe patch 1.4), I haven't been able to play because of issues when launching. When I launch, it screws up my screen resolution making everything much bigger than normal. In addition, it forces me to play with the game in full screen instead of windowed mode (the game runs better for me in windowed mode). It won't go into windowed mode at all. Finally, when I get to the character select screen, instead of seeing the list of characters like I should, I just get a red, orange, and pink screen. What gives?

Ratae
09.28.2012 , 07:20 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Soljourn,

Please try the following troubleshooting steps:
  • Go to this location:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
    Here, if you find a folder called 'Patch', delete it please.
  • Run FixLauncher.exe (also in the above location) as administrator.
If this doesn’t improve matters, could you please post the contents of your client_settings.ini file (found by default at C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\sett ings) on this thread and also your Dxdiag report?

See this thread for information on how to obtain the Dxdiag.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Ratae | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Soljourn
09.28.2012 , 07:59 PM | #3
Didn't help at all. The info you requested.

First, here's the contents of my client_settings.ini file.
Spoiler

And the contents of my DxDiag report:
Spoiler

Edit: Also, I couldn't find a file called Patch

Ratae
09.28.2012 , 11:54 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hello Soljourn,

Thank you for posting that. Don’t worry about not finding the ‘Patch’ folder – it should normally get deleted when you exit the game, but occasionally is not removed correctly.

Please try the following steps:
  • Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time. (The [Windows] key is the key with the Windows icon on it)
  • Copy the following in to the text box and press ok: \Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\
  • Open the settings folder and delete the client_settings.ini file.
  • Restart the game, this will recreate the file.
  • Open the settings folder again and then client_settings.ini file in a text editor and modify the value FullScreen=true to FullScreen=false.
Let us know how you get on.

Soljourn
09.29.2012 , 09:09 PM | #5
This worked. I was able to play again. Thank you.

Ratae
09.29.2012 , 09:16 PM | #6 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hello Soljourn,

Many thanks for your feedback and I’m pleased that the problem has now been resolved.

If there’s ever anything else you need help with, just let us know and we’ll do our best to provide an answer.

In the meantime, hope you continue to enjoying playing the game.