Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Low level and leveling tank.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Roles > Tanking
Low level and leveling tank.

LeeMerriman
09.28.2012 , 04:41 PM | #1
Basically, I've rolled all 3 base classes and gotten themto 50. Unfortunately, I went Marauder, Mercenary, and Sorcerer, so I have no 50 tanks. As I'm interested in tanking, I'm going to roll a tank. I require a few things out of this tank, though:

I need to be good in PvP (Best PvP experience by far was my Madness sorc)

I need to be a decent tank at low levels (As I'm a slow leveler for a while. It takes me forever from 1-35 or so, then from 35-50 I can do it in two days.)

(Ties in with the above) I need to not be squishy while leveling.

I have a 14 Powertech that's been okay, but Heat has been an issue.

I have a 26 (almost 27) Assassin, but he's so squishy it's hard to believe he's a tank class, and leveling with a healer is impossible, because by the time you get to the healer comp for Inquisitors, you don't even need it any more)

I have a 2 Warrior, but I've heard Jugg tanking is difficult, and I'm looking to start with easy.

Basically I have a Sin as my highest level, and I've heard it's the easiest tank, but it's also the squishiest and I don't want squishy. Heeeelp

grallmate
09.28.2012 , 08:10 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by LeeMerriman View Post
Basically, I've rolled all 3 base classes and gotten themto 50. Unfortunately, I went Marauder, Mercenary, and Sorcerer, so I have no 50 tanks. As I'm interested in tanking, I'm going to roll a tank. I require a few things out of this tank, though:

I need to be good in PvP (Best PvP experience by far was my Madness sorc)

I need to be a decent tank at low levels (As I'm a slow leveler for a while. It takes me forever from 1-35 or so, then from 35-50 I can do it in two days.)

(Ties in with the above) I need to not be squishy while leveling.

I have a 26 (almost 27) Assassin, but he's so squishy it's hard to believe he's a tank class, and leveling with a healer is impossible, because by the time you get to the healer comp for Inquisitors, you don't even need it any more)

I have a 2 Warrior, but I've heard Jugg tanking is difficult, and I'm looking to start with easy.

Basically I have a Sin as my highest level, and I've heard it's the easiest tank, but it's also the squishiest and I don't want squishy. Heeeelp
If you want to tank in PvP, go a Juggernaut. Intercede really helps keep people alive and keep you in range of your healer. It's a bit tough to PvE tank trash on a Jugg since they have very limited AoE and are almost entirely melee range but bosses are fairly easy. The Jugg is also nice and tanky from the start but focus management can be a bit tough up until about level 25. Becomes child's play after level 35 when you get Cyclonic sweeps. Endgame you get 2 excellent CDs and Endure Pain which is great for helping a healer catch up. You also get Focused Defences for PvP.

If you want to DPS in PvP and tank in PvE without respeccing, Go either Hybrid Jugg or Darkness Assassin in DPS gear for PvP. Darkness Sin is pretty awesome for tanking but doesn't really get into it's own until level 35 when it gets Harnessed Darkness. At 40 it gets Wither and playability really spikes. You'll also get Talos (healer comp) at this point. Endgame you get 2 excellent but situationally useful CDs, one of which is also a self cleanse, and a self heal so they can really helps the healers. These guys are also the tanks with the highest elemental/internal resistance as well as a high HP pool, so they are excellent tanks for Jarg, Zorn and Stormcaller.

I'm currently leveling a PT tank, and I agree about heat management. Its very different to the other classes (although same as your Merc). If you stay below 40 its fine, if you go over that it gets tougher. It feels really tanky at the start and has 2 good AoEs at level 10, so trash tanking in FPs is really easy from the get go. If you don't mind respeccing they can also be pretty lethal in PvP but apparently the Shield Tech tree is pretty sub par in PvP. These guys get kinda screwed for CDs, only getting 1 average one and a self HoT. But they do have the highest passive survivability, lowest spikiness and lowest skill cap. Unfortunately they also have the lowest elemental/internal resistance.

Honestly, my recommendation is just to push the Assassin up to 40 since you are a fair way along and not too far from becoming tanky. If you don't like that option go the PT, it's easier up to 35 than the Jugg but (IMO) the Jugg is much cooler.

TheronFett
09.29.2012 , 03:13 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by LeeMerriman View Post
I'll put a plug in for PT Shieldtech, since that is my main.

Heat will be a problem until you A) learn to manage it better (Rapid Shots is your friend) and B) you get more abilities and you can remove your dependence on Missile Blast for damage. Missile Blast is 25 heat and does crappy damage. It's basically worthless, but you're stuck with it for awhile.

PT is probably the easiest class to tank with in PvE since most mitigation is passive, and you don't have to rely on cooldowns for survival. It's also the easiest to hold AoE aggro with. For PvP, a DPS geared Shieldtech can shell out a lot of damage as well. I can regularly put up 350k damage and over 200k protection.

Assassin tanks are probably still the best in PvP overall, followed by Juggs. Both have a lot of utility that PT simply doesn't have. However, a ranged AoE taunt and Grapple are two great tools as well.

LeeMerriman
09.29.2012 , 07:56 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheronFett View Post
I'll put a plug in for PT Shieldtech, since that is my main.

Heat will be a problem until you A) learn to manage it better (Rapid Shots is your friend) and B) you get more abilities and you can remove your dependence on Missile Blast for damage. Missile Blast is 25 heat and does crappy damage. It's basically worthless, but you're stuck with it for awhile.

PT is probably the easiest class to tank with in PvE since most mitigation is passive, and you don't have to rely on cooldowns for survival. It's also the easiest to hold AoE aggro with. For PvP, a DPS geared Shieldtech can shell out a lot of damage as well. I can regularly put up 350k damage and over 200k protection.

Assassin tanks are probably still the best in PvP overall, followed by Juggs. Both have a lot of utility that PT simply doesn't have. However, a ranged AoE taunt and Grapple are two great tools as well.

Regarding the AoE taunt and grapple, in 3 levels on my sin I'll have Force Pull and my AoE taunt (Both come in at level 30)