Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

kabeone
09.29.2012 , 01:19 PM | #1661
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
The character (as in person) index has hit the limit of 50,000 characters (as in keyboard symbols)! I'm not really sure how to proceed from there: whether I should just dump a new post right here, have the two link to each other, and split up the listing by author, or what.
I had a dumb suggestion.

But first indexes or indices? I will go with indices because I know that's plural and not a verb but I'm not sure if its the right use of the plural. I can't words today.

Your first post in this thread is the 3rd post just after the index. You could break up your index alphabetically and list links to them in your first post... (repost your story or just post the index of the indices above your story?) That way you don't have to do any cross linking?

Also, since your index was superior I have not updated mine but I was considering doing one by character chronology (as in trying to put together a timeline for the stories set in the same galaxy if a general time setting was given) Would that even make sense?

bright_ephemera
09.29.2012 , 01:27 PM | #1662
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Your first post in this thread is the 3rd post just after the index. You could break up your index alphabetically and list links to them in your first post... (repost your story or just post the index of the indices above your story?) That way you don't have to do any cross linking?

Also, since your index was superior I have not updated mine but I was considering doing one by character chronology (as in trying to put together a timeline for the stories set in the same galaxy if a general time setting was given) Would that even make sense?
That's a good point about the third-post-on-this-thread thing. Transform that into "list of authors and characters, plus links to the specific lists I've made." I actually like that a lot.

A character-chronology listing sounds ambitious...really ambitious...but I'll gladly set mine in order and PM you the results if you decide to make one.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
09.29.2012 , 01:37 PM | #1663
With apologies for the link chase, the updated (and ridiculously long) character index is located at the following links:

Authors A-G

Authors H-L

Authors M-Z

The listing of authors with their character names is here.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 2000+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
09.29.2012 , 02:02 PM | #1664
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Doublepost!

I am surprised and delighted at the wonderful bittersweet way this turned out, especially given that I was nearly debilitated with laughter...for longer than I really care to decribe...on line two.
That's my favorite part, too. I was surprised at how this turned out as well, lol. I wasn't going to use his mother as a means for Quinn and Athra to finally, finally get on the right path, but, hey, it happens. Unfortunately, this will probably happen "later" in the story. I still have to write about him meeting her dad... *snickers* Thanks for taking the time out to say something. I always look forward to your comments because you are magic. MAGIC I SAY.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

iamthehoyden
09.29.2012 , 02:04 PM | #1665
By the way, if I haven't said already, thank you so much for this Index by Character. I use it not only to reread my favorites, but also to verify stuff that I've already written (what did I name that character again?). It's been very useful! And Morgani, if you do a chronology list, let me know, I'll put my mess in order and send you the list
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Striges
09.29.2012 , 02:32 PM | #1666
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
I was considering doing one by character chronology (as in trying to put together a timeline for the stories set in the same galaxy if a general time setting was given) Would that even make sense?
Same here. If you'd like a chronological listing I can do that and PM the links to you. Given how many stories are here and the number of authors, a chronological listing is a great idea. It might need to be broken down further, as in an overall chronology for all of an author's stories in a universe, and a separate one by character. Though a reader could break that last one out of a main chronological index without too much trouble.

Thanks so much for doing the indices. It seems like a lot of work and no one ever appreciates the index.

@ Bright re: Draahg (SW Spoilers)
Spoiler

Tatile
09.29.2012 , 02:34 PM | #1667
Bad Timing.

Spoiler

You have my sincerest apologies. The idea popped into my head when I saw the prompt and I could not not write this. I'm a terrible person.

irishfino
09.29.2012 , 02:37 PM | #1668
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Bad Timing.

Spoiler

You have my sincerest apologies. The idea popped into my head when I saw the prompt and I could not not write this. I'm a terrible person.
Hahaaah! Your parental interruption is far funnier than mine, lol.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

bright_ephemera
09.29.2012 , 02:41 PM | #1669
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Bad Timing.

Spoiler
I love that this is such a horrible killer from a very personal angle for both of them. Nicely...er, cruelly...done
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

Tatile
09.29.2012 , 03:23 PM | #1670
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
Hahaaah! Your parental interruption is far funnier than mine, lol.
Yours was really sweet Mine's more like ***** teenagers getting reminded they have homework due in the morning and would you like some tea?