Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
New raid armor art going into gambling boxes.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Soljin
09.28.2012 , 02:03 PM | #91
Yeah Random gambling boxes as an exclusive option for any armor model is a blatant rip off. Tread lightly Bioware...I wrote off Diablo 3 and many others did as well for weak content Vs. Real money purchase...Its bad for gaming period. Go design bar top gambling machines if this is your idea of a game.
Born on Bria.
Clone Zerging Since 2003!

Joesixxpack
09.28.2012 , 02:05 PM | #92
Personally I have no use for gambling boxes or interest in them; having played other games that use those.

I hope the F2P crowd here aren't like those from those other games, gambling junkies who pour $ into buying stuff, don't learn the game or socialize well, and bail after their bank account is dry and they have to check into rehab.

Also hope the $ they pour into the game contributes to better QA for patches and what not, and development of more (and more frequent) sustainable content for subs, not just shiny swag for the FTP junkies. Guess we'll see how it pans out.

Denchet
09.28.2012 , 02:07 PM | #93
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I talked with Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer) about our plans for endgame armor appearances as well as appearances that will be available in the Cartel Market.

He said that we definitely intend to continue releasing new armor appearances for players doing endgame content. Explosive Conflict and Terror from Beyond were always intended to share the same appearance, just as Eternity Vault and Karagga’s Palace do, and our next Operation will feature a new appearance tier. We have no plans to stop the creation of appearances for endgame content.

The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far. They’ll include some new models, but we did not draw on endgame content appearances for them.
Um, what?

The "Dread Guard" gear has existed on datamining sites like Torhead since 1.2 (Explosive Conflict) came out. It was called "Denova" gear. "Denova" gear gives identical stats to "Dread Guard" gear. Its pretty obvious that "Denova" gear was originally meant for Nightmare EC, just look at the name. NEC never came out though, so you just changed the name and moved it to HMTFB instead.

An example:
Denova Survivor's Boots
http://www.torhead.com/item/1SIhFY/d...urvivors-boots
Dread Guard Survivor's Boots
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/image41.png

Could EC and TFB have "always intended to share the same appearance"? I guess. The gear we got though was intended for Nightmare EC.

Also, EV and KP gear shares appearance because they both drop the same set, Rakata. There is no precedent for two tiers of gear from different Ops looking identical.

Arlon_Nabarlly
09.28.2012 , 02:15 PM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by Denchet View Post
Um, what?

The "Dread Guard" gear has existed on datamining sites like Torhead since 1.2 (Explosive Conflict) came out. It was called "Denova" gear. "Denova" gear gives identical stats to "Dread Guard" gear. Its pretty obvious that "Denova" gear was originally meant for Nightmare EC, just look at the name. NEC never came out though, so you just changed the name and moved it to HMTFB instead.

An example:
Denova Survivor's Boots
http://www.torhead.com/item/1SIhFY/d...urvivors-boots
Dread Guard Survivor's Boots
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/image41.png

Could EC and TFB have "always intended to share the same appearance"? I guess. The gear we got though was intended for Nightmare EC.

Also, EV and KP gear shares appearance because they both drop the same set, Rakata. There is no precedent for two tiers of gear from different Ops looking identical.
I'm sure it was and still is intended for Nightmare EC. Typically the Nightmare modes of the one before give what the new normals give. This only proves the point that this was planned.

iamthehoyden
09.28.2012 , 02:16 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
The first season of Cartel packs will draw heavily on preexisting armor appearances that haven’t been used for player-wearable equipment thus far. They’ll include some new models, but we did not draw on endgame content appearances for them.
So instead of doing something semi-ethical and offerring sets for straight purchase on the cash shop, you've turned them into a gambling addict's dream/nightmare. Lovely.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Joesixxpack
09.28.2012 , 02:16 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Soljin View Post
Tread lightly Bioware...I wrote off Diablo 3 and many others did as well for weak content Vs. Real money purchase...Its bad for gaming period.
I did the same, and couldn't agree more.

Denchet
09.28.2012 , 02:28 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
I'm sure it was and still is intended for Nightmare EC. Typically the Nightmare modes of the one before give what the new normals give. This only proves the point that this was planned.
No, NiMEC was originally supposed to drop a complete new set of gear that was a tier above HMEC. This is what we were promised way back in March (Feb maybe, idk). NiMEC never came out though, so they instead split that set between HMTFB and NiMEC (when it does eventually come out).

IIRC, the original plan was to turn Normal mode into story and remove it from the gear progression. Then they were going to have all Ops have both a HM and NiM, each dropping different gear. For example, EC was supposed to drop "Campaign" and "Denova" gear in HM/NiM respectively, and then TFB would drop "Dread Guard" and "Astation" on HM/NiM (Astation is a made up placeholder name).

The problem is that NiMEC never came out, so everything got screwed up. NiMEC was supposed to come out "soon" after HMEC, not 6+ months later, after the next raid was already out.

Jedi_Tyran
09.28.2012 , 04:26 PM | #98
Thank you for posting, Allison.

As long as the end game gear is distinct and unique from other gear, I'd say it's okay. Just please make the raid/pvp earned gear good looking. I know Bioware has heard loud and clear the community was not happy with the Campaign/Blk Hole gear for some classes, especially Consular.

More options is a good thing. As long as the cartel cash gear is not the same or not better than the end game gear, fine. I know it's subjective but please put some effort into gear that subscribers play for. We already are paying you. Don't waste too much time on cash stuff in the hopes that some f2p'er buys it. Don't make the end game gear ugly and the cash shop gear so good that players have to buy it to not look homeless. I feel like a homeless character from Prince of Persia in my Consular Campaign gear.

The color change from ketchup and mustard for the Consular Dread Gear shows you're listening. That's all we're asking. Listen to your subs, we want the game to succeed but sometimes are dismayed by the decisions we see being made.

xorcist
09.28.2012 , 05:41 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by Jedi_Tyran View Post
Listen to your subs, we want the game to succeed but sometimes are dismayed by the decisions we see being made.
Amen. I don't know how someone at Bioware could look at an obviously poorly designed piece, and say "APPROVED". "Send it through". Disappointed is all I have to say to even show us that.
"There is no calamity greater than lavish desires....
And there is no greater disaster than greed
."

Sparviero
09.28.2012 , 06:02 PM | #100
So basically stuff I was supposed to get in the Collector's Edition shop that was never updated I can now purchase in the Cartel Shop for more $$$?

I realize bw/ea wants to go after the whales that will spend big money but yeesh at least throw me a little love with the CE shop that was implied to have a good bit of content and has not done such until as of a week ago at least.

Don't get me wrong I've gotten my money's worth out of this game it's just that the CE shoppe was advertised as more than it has been.
Korvus lvl 50 Shadow - Republic of OT.
Sparviero Garibaldi Falco Octavian of the Junodian Legacy.