Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

no more black hole comms in story EC?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Eternalnight
09.28.2012 , 11:46 AM | #81
And they still have not answered why was Black Hole commendations removed from Nightmaremode Karaga's Palace

NoFishing
09.28.2012 , 11:59 AM | #82
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
I do have an update on this issue. This change was intentional, and we'll be adding it to the patch notes. Bosses in Story Mode Operations no longer drop Black Hole Commendations in Game Update 1.4. Thanks to everyone who brought this up, and we apologize for the confusion over it.
Thanks for the info.

Although...this was not a good idea IMO. This is making your old content less desirable to run, and it doesn't make any sense that SM EV and KP will offer a few BH comms (through the LFG tool) but SM EC will not.

NoFishing
09.28.2012 , 12:05 PM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by Eternalnight View Post
And they still have not answered why was Black Hole commendations removed from Nightmaremode Karaga's Palace
Quoting because this deserves a specific answer as well.

Lostpenguins
09.28.2012 , 12:06 PM | #84
I find it funny that no one gets the big picture:
- Story mode is to experience the story and taste the content.
- Hard mode is for the actual challenge of raiding.

You don't need fantastic gear to experience the story. If you want to get the best gear, then set foot in the hardest content. Or grind out the extra hours by doing daily HM's every day and the weekly missions to get your BH year. You can still make over 50 BH comms a week w/out setting foot in a HM if you really want to gear progress. But running around in SM EC where it just got nerfed even more-so to spend 1.5-2 hrs a week to add an extra 20 BH comms was just overkill. Grinding 7 HM FP's a week takes more work than 1 SM EC and more dedication to the time.

If you really care about gear progression, but can't handle HM Ops yet, then here's how you can progress:
Lvl 50
Regular D7, Battle of Ilum, False Emperor - for better gear
SM EV, SM KP, HM FP's, Dailies, Buy mods and such from AH with Daily Quest Credits
SM EC, HM EV, HM KP, SM TFB
HM EC
HM TFB

There are several ways to get Dread Gear w/out even setting foot in HM TFB. You can get credits and wait for them to sell on the AH? Don't like the price? Then do the hardest content. It's that simple. You can either put in more effort or more time to get Dread Gear. And let's not forget that Dread Gear isn't even fantastic. The itemizations are terrible so buying the pieces off the AH may be smarter than running HM TFB over and over (like Marauders who need 10 freakin' belts just to get BiS for their Mod - good job FailWare!)

Still, for people who are complaining about the loss of BH comms from easy-mode EC there's still plenty of ways to obtain BH comms. In the end, SM EC isn't even half of the BH comms you can earn in a week. This game and every other MMO is already going the way of catering to the casual. Just imagine playing 8 years ago in WoW when there wasn't an easy-mode of raids and the only way to get the best loot was to kill bosses in those raids... bosses that weren't killed the first night they were released to the public, but instead took months of time. Imagine that!

Yeah, those days are gone, and this is what we have now. I'm just trying to give those people crying some perspective on the matter.

AllisonBerryman
09.28.2012 , 12:18 PM | #85 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
I asked Ahmad Zabarah (a Senior Designer) to share some more details about this change. The reason we removed the Commendations from Story Mode is that it is our goal to separate Story Mode Operations from Operation progression going forwards. In the previous setup, Story Mode was the best way to farm Black Hole Commendations, which wasn't our intent for the different difficulty modes. Going forward, Hard Mode and Nightmare mode will be the source of progression in Operations. We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.

Elfindreams
09.28.2012 , 12:20 PM | #86
I asked Ahmad Zabarah (a Senior Designer) to share some more details about this change. The reason we removed the Commendations from Story Mode is that it is our goal to separate Story Mode Operations from Operation progression going forwards. In the previous setup, Story Mode was the best way to farm Black Hole Commendations, which wasn't our intent for the different difficultly modes. Going forward, Hard Mode and Nightmare mode will be the source of progression in Operations. We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.
This doesn't explain why they were removed from Karaga's Nightmare Mode.
The Jade Legacy Ebon Hawk
[Nova Imperium] [The Crescent Order]

Coldin
09.28.2012 , 12:21 PM | #87
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
*snip*
Unfortunately, tailoring your only new content to only cater to hardcore raiders is not a very sound business strategy. Hardcore raiders make up such a small percentage of the playerbase.

Hardmode EV and Karraga's are a lot easier than even normal mode EC. You can basically get all your rakata gear there. And once you have Rakata gear, what point is there to run normal mode EC and Terror from Beyond? Sure, once for the story. But that's it. There's no incentive to keep running these on normal mode.

GeckoOBac
09.28.2012 , 12:22 PM | #88
I find it a contradicting and mind boggling choice... First you want to make end game content available for non "raiders", thus the black hole weeklies, the daily random HM, etc. It was stated before that you wanted to give players alternative things to do and enjoy themselves in endgame pve. Story mode doesn't give any "progression" at all, and it's enjoyable for the story (once or twice). Then you remove black hole commendations and you make mandatory doing hard modes?

You really have to get a clue on WHICH your objectives are. This really sounds like BAD planning.

[Edit: just not to sound like a pissed off customer: I couldn't care less for ME, I've got full min maxed bh/campaign gear, we clear EC HM and we'll move to TFB soon. I'm a raider (though perhaps not a hardcore one) and I don't care if other people get endgame gear through other means as well, more power to them and everybody is happy]

Lostpenguins
09.28.2012 , 12:22 PM | #89
We did, however, add Black Hole Commendations to the weekly Explosive Conflict mission, so you can also obtain the Commendations that way.
"Added it"? Isn't this the weekly quest that if you progressed a certain distance in the operation (be it story mode, hard more, or nightmare mode) you would complete the quest and get BH comms?

If so, that's always been there so there was nothing to add. The only thing different in 1.4 is you made it easier to complete by making it the Tanks instead of the Colonel to complete the quest and through in some Daily comms I think. Still, you didn't add BM comms as a reward, you may have just changed the qty.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

GeckoOBac
09.28.2012 , 12:25 PM | #90
Quote: Originally Posted by Lostpenguins View Post
"Added it"? Isn't this the weekly quest that if you progressed a certain distance in the operation (be it story mode, hard more, or nightmare mode) you would complete the quest and get BH comms?

If so, that's always been there so there was nothing to add. The only thing different in 1.4 is you made it easier to complete by making it the Tanks instead of the Colonel to complete the quest and through in some Daily comms I think. Still, you didn't add BM comms as a reward, you may have just changed the qty.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You're not wrong. Also I think that the "Explosive Conflict" story is actually the story related mission you can only do once that used to give a very small reward.