Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Consolidation

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Reble-Dog-Squad
09.27.2012 , 02:53 AM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by AlannTH View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Imagine TOR was your baby, you put so much of your life into making it a reality and then after almost a year you see it being run so badly, maybe they had enough and left. Now TOR has no one stearing the ship. I hope im wrong but the way the game is being run It would not surprise me that they just wanted out. Subcribers down, FTP being introduced, servers cut, two founders leaving its business suicide.
If it was my "baby" and someone offered me a dump truck full of money i would cut and run and never look back.
Australian CE VIP
"Social Media Killed Society - Like The Video Killed the Radio Star"
System: i7 2600K, Asus P8z68-V Pro, 16gig RAM, Gigabyte GTX580 SOC
May The Force Be With You

AlannTH
09.27.2012 , 04:24 AM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Reble-Dog-Squad View Post
If it was my "baby" and someone offered me a dump truck full of money i would cut and run and never look back.
It would be hard to walk away from something you have worked hard on for years. Im not sure if you have commited yourself to something which has taken years of dedication to produce and be so easy to walk away from. These guys were already pretty wealthy, to me its personal to them to see the game going from bad to worse.
Snowflakes Snowflakes everywere. They are getting in my hair.

spectreclees
09.27.2012 , 04:27 AM | #353
Someday a company will make a good star wars mmo, someday.

Also, I think from the beginning they should have made the server list very condensed, having that many servers was completely unnecessarry. if they found they needed more than open up a few more. But starting with so many was a dumb thing to do.

Reble-Dog-Squad
09.27.2012 , 04:31 AM | #354
It would be hard to walk away from something you have worked hard on for years. Im not sure if you have commited yourself to something which has taken years of dedication to produce and be so easy to walk away from. These guys were already pretty wealthy, to me its personal to them to see the game going from bad to worse.
if that is the case then why leave, why not fight for your "baby" to develop into something better. Seems like they took the cowardly way out.

If they were so committed to the company then why hand it over to EA? the new that EA would give them a shed load for their company and they selfishly took it and ran.

The Word "commit" is a dead word in today's society.
Australian CE VIP
"Social Media Killed Society - Like The Video Killed the Radio Star"
System: i7 2600K, Asus P8z68-V Pro, 16gig RAM, Gigabyte GTX580 SOC
May The Force Be With You

AlannTH
09.27.2012 , 04:59 AM | #355
Maybe they where Naive in trusting Electronic arse but you need a majoy player to get a game like this off the ground and marketed, althought the marketing has been abismal. Not sure at all. I know one thing its start to suck. It may be my last month subscribing as the last patch has created more bugs its just pure incompitance.
Snowflakes Snowflakes everywere. They are getting in my hair.

fyfch
09.27.2012 , 02:55 PM | #356
Electronic arse .
Classic. laughed so hard

"If you do not stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

AlixMV
09.27.2012 , 03:19 PM | #357
Quote: Originally Posted by spectreclees View Post
if they found they needed more than open up a few more. But starting with so many was a dumb thing to do.
...maybe my memories of game opening are fuzzy, but I think that's exactly what they did do. They had a set amount, got absolutely slammed by queues and lag in that initial wave of 1.7 million subscribers, and threw servers at the problem to ease the congestion.

It's too bad they didn't have the High Pop Server tech available or in place when they opened.
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris

Mortianna
09.29.2012 , 01:14 PM | #358
Aloha guys,
There is a simple rule about character transfer - if you transfer a char. whose name is already taken on destination server, you have to rename it. The GMs know that and what happened found many people disappointing, including me.. I asked about this rule in a ticket and the answer was out of my league - GM described me how to rename a character... Sorry but i find it insulting and I sympathise with my "enraged" mates.. I can understand the server problems but i dont like the "dumb and dumber" games.. By the way when I wanted to move my chars before, they said I play on destination server, so transfer isnt possible.. So how can one expect the population on some origin servers to increase? I am disappointed, my char name´s to change and legacy name too..I hope this did not happen cause of some trial players (no offense).

Ilhares
10.01.2012 , 11:30 AM | #359
Quote: Originally Posted by Mortianna View Post
There is a simple rule about character transfer - if you transfer a char. whose name is already taken on destination server, you have to rename it. But after this transfer issue, people on destination servers playing for a long time are also forced to rename char names, and this isnt a solution.
That is the perception of what happened, but it isn't the reality, as many people have also discovered.

Example, you play on The Harbinger since launch. The consolidation happens, you are now on The Harbinger, and you have to rename. This is the perception issue. The server shares the same name, but it is not in fact the same original server, it is a new server, it just shares the name.

Frustrating? Very, because it was not a wise decision from the people who did the implementation. Ambiguity is not a good thing anywhere except a transvestite talent show.

I, like yourself, had to deal with similar issues when my characters were all shoehorned to the new server. I got extremely lucky and one of my original names became mine again (since I used it all through beta and launch that made me happy), but the overall anger people are feeling is not entirely unwarranted. Poor communication, poor implementation, and as the most recent patch has shown, either very poor testing and/or ignoring the bug reports from the people who were testing it, which lead to a pile of broken stuff that sets us back over 2 patches in some cases.

On the plus side, it's almost impossible to not find someone to help with a difficult mission in less than ten minutes now.